ACAD 2009 Linetype Problem

durado

I am running Civil 3D / LDD Companion / AutoCAD 2009. I have some complex line types that work just fine in LLD Companion 2009, but when I load them in AutoCAD 2009 I get "Bad Definition" and they do not display properly.

For example one of my line types is a flow arrow. In LLD it loads and displays just fine " --- . ---> --- . --->" (except the arrow heads are shapes) in AutoCAD it I get the "bad deffinetion" error and it displays as " --- . --- --- . ---"

any thoughts?

Thanks

It's probally a pathing issue. In your eaxmple, the ">" is probally a 'shape', in a compiled shape file, a .SHX, and AutoCAD can't find that file.

In the linetype defanition (in the .LIN file) there will be a call to the .SHX file. Make sure that file is in a folder that is in your AutoCAD path.

Here's an example from my linetype file (.lin):

*Fence, Fence ----X--------X--------X-----

A,.75,-.06,[X,ltypeshpJC.shx],-.06

Inside the brackets [] the shape it is calling is named "X", and the file that shape is in is named ltypeshpJC.shx.

IT was a pathing issur, however I had two sessions of autocad open so when I corrected it and reopened autocad the problem was not fixed ... I had to close ALL sesions of autocad and then relaunch it .... thank you for your fast reply.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem, except that I am creating my own line type. Using acad.shp and altering and existing line type which I called “pow” short for power. I then compiled the .shp file to a .shx file and when using ltype.lin, I will find the same error massages "Bad Definition"

The line as described in ltypeshp.shp

*136,26,pow

9,(20,0),(4,10),(8,-20),(8,20),(8,-20),(8,20),(8,-20),(8,20),(8,-20),(4,10),(20,0),(0,0),0

The line as described in acad.lin

*POWERLINE,power --/\/\/---/\/\/---/\/\/---/\/\/---/\/\/--

A,.15,[pow,ltypeshp.shx,s=.25],.15

I have a similar problem, except that I am creating my own line type. Using acad.shp and altering and existing line type which I called “pow” short for power. I then compiled the .shp file to a .shx file and when using ltype.lin, I will find the same error massages "Bad Definition"

The line as described in ltypeshp.shp

*136,26,pow

9,(20,0),(4,10),(8,-20),(8,20),(8,-20),(8,20),(8,-20),(8,20),(8,-20),(4,10),(20,0),(0,0),0

The line as described in acad.lin

*POWERLINE,power --/\/\/---/\/\/---/\/\/---/\/\/---/\/\/--

A,.15,[pow,ltypeshp.shx,s=.25],.15

This looks alot like the ZIGZAG linetype in ACAD.lin file. Could you just copy and paste it, rename and modify it to suit your needs?

These linetype definitions use LTYPESHP.SHX.

;;

*ZIGZAG,Zig zag /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

A,.0001,-.2,[ZIG,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.2,s=.2],-.4,[ZIG,ltypeshp.shx,r=180,x=.2,s=.2],-.2

Yes I tried, it seems if there is a probleme when the .shp file is compiled. I have changed the definition of the AMZIGZAG in the shape file, when compiling to a .shx file everything go's well but using the acad.lin file AutoCAD keeps using the previous definition of the AMZIGZAG, I even tried to change some of the other definition but AutoCAD doesn’t seems to used it and keep using the previous definitions even after I compiled the files. I deleted all .shx file and still stays the same.

This looks alot like the ZIGZAG linetype in ACAD.lin file. Could you just copy and paste it, rename and modify it to suit your needs?

These linetype definitions use LTYPESHP.SHX.

;;

*ZIGZAG,Zig zag /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

A,.0001,-.2,[ZIG,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.2,s=.2],-.4,[ZIG,ltypeshp.shx,r=180,x=.2,s=.2],-.2

It sounds like ACAD is finding the old shx file somewhere else. I've run into this before, in a network invironment, where it's finding certin files in places I didn't think to look.

How are you creating the shapes?

The Express tool for that works really well. Since they put that in there I have not seen the inside of a shape file (or had to manually compile one).

I am stilling using the shape file option. I only heard of the express tool option today and didn’t had change to try it yet, but apparently it is the way to go. I'll let you guys know how it went.