Rotating Object in Inventor Studio??

Nitro13

In your assembly, what physically holds your puzzle together? Im assuming the small shafts in the middle go up to the big cap. and i know your other pieces have a slot for the cap but what holds them on there?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nitro13

• shift1313

• Robamobabob

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rule #1 of sending assemblies... Send all files; an Assembly does not copy parts in. This is missing like 3 parts not in the threads.

Cap_Big file was empty for me. I get all kinds of errors with your pattern components.

If you have things properly constrained and one of your parts is grounded, you should be able to rotate things in model space.

here is a very simple model i just drew. Each end was constrained with an insert constraint by selecting the circle at the edge of each hole/shaft. That kept the ends aligned and allowed my part to rotate about the shaft. In the Inventor Studio i choose animate component. Select my component and then click the position button. From there a Triad will appear on the screen. In my case i select the Zaxis shaft on the triad to indicate rotating about this axis. The dialog box will then change to say "rotate around Z axis". enter an angle and voila. Back on the animate components dialog box you need to make sure your time stamps are what you intend. For instance if you rotate one component from 0-1s and the next from 0-1s they will rotate and possibly interfere. ive added a short video and a screen shot.

maybe you should try a simple model like this to get down the concept of constraints and using the inventor studio. The angle constraint i could see presenting a problem in this case because everything can rotate in relation to everything else so im not sure how you would pick your parts. Ive got another short animation im going to make for you to show animate constraint as well.

screenshot1.jpg

cube2.zip

okay in this example i went back and changed my insert constraint and gave two of the parts an offset value of .25". In the animation at the beginning and end of these parts "turn" i used animate constraint and gave them an instant movement by changing that .25" offset to 0" then at the end of its turn i did the same thing and brought it back to .25". The only reason i did an instant movement is because i already had the rest of the animation setup but i could have easily altered the numbers to the pieces slid out for a certain duration.

screenshot2.jpg

cube3.zip

I just don't get what you guys mean by using constraints right, like i know im suppose to think of it as being real life. i like want to center a piece so what i do is just put constraints in so it looks right...I'm guessing that is so not right.

what constraints should i be using most of the time for fitting these types of pieces in and what should i stay away from?

and when sometimes i want to move some objects with the animate components, the triad is not centered. Is there anyway to fix this problem? the move triad only check box never wants to appear =\

well with your constraints you just need to be careful not to over constrain something. Going through the help section in the program is probably going to be the best explanation. For instances if you were going to bolt two plates together you could do this with two constraints or you could do this with more. Also your selection during the constraint process will produce different things. for instance if you select a face or a plane as opposed to a line.

I would try a few simple exercises to get the hang of animations and constraints. The part you have is complicated. I know you need to have it done by friday but i think a simple example will save you plenty of time in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i do not want to start up a new topic so ill just go off of this one.

I have the thing looking awesome and with one layer moving right.

The only problem is where it is picking where to rotate the component at in the animate component tab. for all the other selections i have made its centered it every time, but not with this one

heres what i mean

LOL dual screens fail

center please.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really need help with the moving of the triad in studio. I want to center it in the middle of a gear, so I can make it rotate, but the check box I need to click to be able to move it is gray. It's really frustrating, as one of the times I made a gear, the triad went to the middle, so I could rotate it, but now it won't get off the side of the gear.

Is there an easier way to rotate objects, or do I need the triad in the center? This is the only thing holding me back at the moment, and it's holding me back from so much fun with this program.

I really need help with the moving of the triad in studio. I want to center it in the middle of a gear.

Is this a new question? I don't see any assembly with a gear?

Well, it's more of an extension to the last one, as I'm wondering the same thing Shift1313 asked on his last post. I just can't move the triad, because the check box is gray. What I want to center it on is irrelevant, as centering it on the midpoint of a gear should be as easy as centering it on the midpoint of a cylinder or circle.

I'm just wondering if there is any way to get that check box usable, or if I have to do it some other way. If it's some other way, I'll need idiot instructions, because I'm more of a visual learner, and it's harder for me to learn by reading or listening...

Well, it's more of an extension to the last one, as I'm wondering the same thing Shift1313 asked on his last post. I just can't move the triad, because the check box is gray. What I want to center it on is irrelevant, as centering it on the midpoint of a gear should be as easy as centering it on the midpoint of a cylinder or circle.

I'm just wondering if there is any way to get that check box usable, or if I have to do it some other way. If it's some other way, I'll need idiot instructions, because I'm more of a visual learner, and it's harder for me to learn by reading or listening...

Figured it out...

I realized that in order to rotate a gear around its center, rather than some other random spot in the middle of space, I have to create it in the center of the graph... Stupid me...

Figured it out...

I realized that in order to rotate a gear around its center, rather than some other random spot in the middle of space, I have to create it in the center of the graph... Stupid me...

Huh? I think you still have some work to do. It has nothing (or should have nothing) to do with where it is created. Assembly constraints - just like the real world.

You should have started a new thread on this problem and posted a dataset. The usual method is to drag the red End of Part marker to the top of the browser before zipping to make the file size as small as possible.

I don't know what's up with it.. I made constraints on some of the objects I built before, but it didn't help...

Can you link me or tell me where to find a good tutorial that could help me with constraints? Our CAD program in our high school just got cut, so I'm trying to learn by myself at my house, with only a week's class time in Inventor.

I'm convinced that the best way to learn is in a classroom with a competent instructor so that you don't develop bad habits.

But since you are on your own -

have you done ALL of the tutorials in my signature, especially the Inventor Professor papers (don't really address your constraint question)

have you done the Help>Learning Tools Tutorials and Skill Builders

have you done the free curriculum at http://engineersrule.org

have you joined http://www.augi.com and looked up past AU papers

have you done all of the tutorials at http://www.mcadforums.com

what book are you using, many available at http://www.amazon.com

and more at http://store.autodesk.com

or

simply start a new thread. Zip and attach what you have completed so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Well i do not want to start up a new topic so ill just go off of this one.

I have the thing looking awesome and with one layer moving right.

The only problem is where it is picking where to rotate the component at in the animate component tab. for all the other selections i have made its centered it every time, but not with this one

heres what i mean

LOL dual screens fail

Did you try simple parts like i suggested? Try to replicate the model i made or something similar to work with. I dont know that you answer my question about how your model was held together and how things will actually work. Knowing how this thing is to be made and assembled is important to setting up constraints and animations. the simple model i drew is at home and i dont have time to draw anything right now but ill try to come back to this later.