PDA

View Full Version : UNDO error causing crashes

CADTEX
16th Sep 2010, 04:41 am
I'm running 2004LD on W7P. Lately I have been getting some crashes after getting an error message that says "FATAL ERROR: cannot write to UNDO file (disk probably full)".
Any idea what a solution is? Thanks

ReMark
16th Sep 2010, 11:49 am
I don't know about LDD but Inventor actually has an Undo file that the user has control over in terms of its size. It sounds like LDD may have the same feature and that in your case it has reached its max limit (256MB I believe). This should be increased. Now in Inventor one goes to Tools then clicks on Application Options and changes the setting for Undo File Size. You might check to see if LDD has this option as well. If so, you might want to double or even quadruple the value.

CADTEX
16th Sep 2010, 02:32 pm
I checked and while I do have a Tool pulldown menu, there is no Application Option. It's somewhere I'm sure, but just don't know how to fix this problem. I'll be working and it'll crash for no reason, even if I haven't used UNDO command.

ReMark
16th Sep 2010, 02:46 pm
What kind of error message are you seeing?

When did the crashes first occur?

Have you made any hardware/software changes prior to the time the crashes started to occur?

What OS are you running?

LDD 2004. Have you always been diligent downloading and installing service packs (now called "updates") and hot fixes?

CADTEX
16th Sep 2010, 02:49 pm
Just that one error message I listed in my first post. No changes at all, software or hardware, and am current on all updates. Sometimes if I let the computer sit for a long time with no activity, the moment I move the mouse I'll get that error message. All I can do at this point is save often

BlackBox
16th Sep 2010, 03:11 pm
I use AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 (longest name ever!), and LDT 2006.

To get to the application options, your can:

From the menu pull-down... Tools > Options...
Or, enter ._options at the command line
I know Land* verticals use a .bak file, and have an .ac$ file extension for temporary files (suffix is customizable). But I've never had an issue with undo as mentioned here.

I am unaware of where one sets the undo limit.

CADTEX
16th Sep 2010, 03:15 pm
Yep, I had always used "OP" at the command line to get into those settings but I haven't seen anything in there for the UNDO.

ReMark
16th Sep 2010, 03:32 pm
And you suspect nothing amiss with your hard drive per se?

As far as I know only Inventor has this unique setting. I'm not aware of AutoCAD having it.

CADTEX
16th Sep 2010, 03:41 pm
Nothing else is amiss on my system. I just now went into REGEDIT and changed the large system cache DWORD factor from "0" to "1". We'll see how it goes now

CADTEX
16th Sep 2010, 10:27 pm
Welp, still getting these same error messages and crashes :x

BlackBox
16th Sep 2010, 10:40 pm
I wonder if it is an inherent incompatibility between LDT 2004, and Win 7?

Cad64
17th Sep 2010, 01:38 am
What are your full computer specs?
Does this happen in all files or only certain ones?
Have you considered upgrading to Civil 3D? Older programs are not fully compatible with Win 7. And from what I've heard about Land Desktop, it was a very unstable program anyway, so trying to run it on Win 7 is probably not a great idea.

I've moved this thread to the "Civil 3D & LDD" section.

sinc
17th Sep 2010, 01:05 pm
Have you tried clearing out your temp files? Autocad can end up creating many thousands of files in there, and weird problems can sometimes crop up when too many files build up in that directory.

(Not sure if it will have any effect, as I've never seen this issue in Land Desktop.)

BlackBox
17th Sep 2010, 02:34 pm
... from what I've heard about Land Desktop, it was a very unstable program anyway, so trying to run it on Win 7 is probably not a great idea.

Nah... Then using LDT 2006, and now using C3D LDC 2009... I work on my company's only AutoCAD Transportation team (at least prior to being bought out), and have had a great time out-performing my internal 'MicroStation' competition. (Thank you AutoCAD Command Line Interface, and ActiveX API!)

But like you said, the benefits of full C3D are undeniable, we're hoping that with my state's upcoming release of their DOT2011 kit, C3D 2011 will be getting deployed by year's end (crossing fingers!), instead of 'MS' cross training.

Edit: Not sure about the Win 7 part, as I work with Win XP 32 Bit (for now!)

alanjt
17th Sep 2010, 03:23 pm
After receiving frequent Undo Errors, I started occasionally removing the temporary undo/redo files, from the defined Temp folder. I use this:

(defun c:CleanTemp nil
;; delete all UND* and RED* temp files
;; Alan J. Thompson
((lambda (temp)
(foreach x (vl-directory-files temp)
(if (wcmatch (strcase x) "UND*,RED*")
(vl-catch-all-apply (function vl-file-delete) (list (strcat temp x)))
)
)
)
(getvar 'tempprefix)
)
(princ)
)

Now, I've recently switched to WinDOHs 7, and haven't had a reason to use it since the switch (needed it for WinXP).

rakenzco
4th Oct 2010, 07:27 pm
I have the same problem.... I am using MEP 2011 SP1 & am working on an XP64 bit machine.

My issue happens when I try to explode a group of dynamic blocks... I need to do this before I transmit the file in order to protect our blocks, it takes about 5 minutes to think and then the "cannot write to undo file (disk probably full)" message comes up.

before SP1 it would just say UNDOCMD 3 but it seems the threshold is a lot lower with the current service pack....

I tried all the sudjestions in this thread, any further help in this would be greatly apprechiated!!!

Thank you!

sinc
5th Oct 2010, 12:24 am
Did you empty your Temp directory?

jdsherr
18th May 2011, 09:20 pm
I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011 on w7P as well, and this error is killing me, happens every time I save. Did you ever work out a fix?

SLW210
18th May 2011, 09:47 pm
I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011 on w7P as well, and this error is killing me, happens every time I save. Did you ever work out a fix?

Did you empty your Temp directory?

That didn't help?

jdsherr
18th May 2011, 10:24 pm
Didn't work. I've manually and automatically (using the Lisp earlier in the thread) emptied my temp folder. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

SLW210
19th May 2011, 01:58 pm
You most likely need to contact Autodesk.

You could try increasing your RAM and/or Virtual memory. Maybe try a repair or uninstall/reinstall, but you should give Autodesk a shot at it first.

jdsherr
19th May 2011, 03:39 pm
You most likely need to contact Autodesk.

You could try increasing your RAM and/or Virtual memory. Maybe try a repair or uninstall/reinstall, but you should give Autodesk a shot at it first.

Well, I'm running 16 gb of RAM, and my paging file is at 100000 MB already. By contacting Autodesk, you mean the crash reports details? Thanks for discussing this with me.

alanjt
19th May 2011, 03:40 pm
By contacting Autodesk, you mean the crash reports details?
I like to write off-the-wall comments or just tell them I'm calling Bently.

ReMark
19th May 2011, 03:46 pm
100,000MB of virtual memory? That can't be right. Normally, all by itself Windows will set aside 1-1.5X the amount of installed physical memory for the page file. Increasing this to 2-2.5X even 3X is one option for reducing "out of memory errors". Another thing is if you are going to tweak the settings make the upper and lower limits the same number. When you do that Windows sets aside a contiguous portion of your hard drive for its exclusive use. It's much more effective.

jdsherr
19th May 2011, 04:00 pm
100,000MB of virtual memory? That can't be right. Normally, all by itself Windows will set aside 1-1.5X the amount of installed physical memory for the page file. Increasing this to 2-2.5X even 3X is one option for reducing "out of memory errors". Another thing is if you are going to tweak the settings make the upper and lower limits the same number. When you do that Windows sets aside a contiguous portion of your hard drive for its exclusive use. It's much more effective.

yah, its right.27686 and i changed the max size down to the same... thanks for the tip.

SLW210
19th May 2011, 04:07 pm
Well, I'm running 16 gb of RAM, and my paging file is at 100000 MB already. By contacting Autodesk, you mean the crash reports details? Thanks for discussing this with me.

No I mean actually contact them by Email, phone or walking to there offices.

Do you also get this message on New files with just a couple of small objects? Are you actually RUNNING 16GB of RAM, or is that what you have installed? You should check your actual memory usage, by AutoCAD.

SLW210
19th May 2011, 04:14 pm
Out of curiosity, what are all or your computer specs including graphics card?

I take back all the previous comments.

I would just call my reseller and tell them to get it taken care of.

I have looked on Autodesk's site and this has been a problem for awhile, it appears, yet they have not solved this.

ReMark
19th May 2011, 04:25 pm
So it looks like your paging file size is actually very close to 3X the amount of installed RAM. Then I guess you're OK. And you have reset the min/max to the same sizes. That's good. Now what happens?

BTW...did you have enough free space on your hard drive before you reset those values?

jdsherr
19th May 2011, 05:58 pm
Autodesk Product: ACA 2011 Svc Pack 1
HARDWARE: AMD Phenom II x61090t
16 gb RAM
GeForce GTX460

i would say in my limited knowledge 'es un muy mal machina' :D

i wrote autodesk at your encouragement, we'll see if anything ever happens, thanks.
also, i'm probably going to try a re-install over the next couple of days if the problem persists, deadlines looming... thanks again

jdsherr
19th May 2011, 06:02 pm
oh, also Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 HD w/ 7200 rpm rotational

ReMark
19th May 2011, 06:02 pm
You should first try a REPAIR before resorting to an uninstall/reinstall.

AutoDesk has posted explicit instructions regarding uninstalling/reinstalling their software. Refer to this link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240817&CMP=OTC-RSSSUP01

SLW210
19th May 2011, 07:03 pm
Autodesk Product: ACA 2011 Svc Pack 1
HARDWARE: AMD Phenom II x61090t
16 gb RAM
GeForce GTX460

i would say in my limited knowledge 'es un muy mal machina' :D

i wrote autodesk at your encouragement, we'll see if anything ever happens, thanks.
also, i'm probably going to try a re-install over the next couple of days if the problem persists, deadlines looming... thanks again

oh, also Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 HD w/ 7200 rpm rotational

You should first try a REPAIR before resorting to an uninstall/reinstall.

AutoDesk has posted explicit instructions regarding uninstalling/reinstalling their software. Refer to this link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240817&CMP=OTC-RSSSUP01
Try repair first.

When did you install SP 1? You might try removing the Service Pack and seeing if the error goes away.

I use CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) to clear out my files. Worth a shot.

jdsherr
6th Jun 2011, 06:20 pm
An update: I have been in communication w/ the Autodesk people, and their most recent reply, from today is as follows

Hi ...,

My name is Mike and I have been escalated your case for further assistance. In this case I see you are crashing and have been submitting error reports. In this case you are linked to a defect that is being worked on by our Development team, ID# 1348588. I have linked this submitted case to the defect as well. In the meantime please try moving these files locally as described by the previous tech to see if this will help manage this error until the issue can be resolved in an update/release of the product. Please test this and let me know if the issue persisted. Thank you and I look forward to your reply.
Best regards,
Michael Bussiere II
Autodesk Support Team