permanently sticking points in a line

idhoe

Hi there,

I draw a line then use divide command to put some points with equal distance in this line. some points will then are created on this line but when i move the line, the points do not move. I am wondering if these points can permanently stick to the line so that if i change the position of the line, the position of the points will also change.

please help:(

idhoe

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idhoe

• ReMark

• eldon

• SLW210

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

really? how to make the point also move? I tried to select the line and all points on it but when moving the line, the points do not move.

please give more explanation. desperately need....:?

just to make my problem clear that i do not use command MOVE to move the line but simply click an edge point of the line so that other edges of the lines will still be fixed

If you want the points to move with the line then they have to be selected as well. The points aren't "glued" to the line (i.e. - they do not move in unison) or use the method CyberAngel just suggested.

Hi Remark and CyberAngel,

thank u very much for the advice. I really appreciate it:wink:.

but it seems that grouping the points and line will just help on selecting the object (i.e. selecting one member of the group will select all members of the group).

unfortunately, i am looking something that "glued" these points to the line actually. let me know if you have any idea

but it seems that grouping the points and line will just help on selecting the object (i.e. selecting one member of the group will select all members of the group).

unfortunately, i am looking something that "glued" these points to the line actually. let me know if you have any idea

Other than making the line and points a block I know of no other method to accomplish the task.

Did you try saying HOCUS POCUS ALAKAZAM?

Please explain your problem more clearly. What type of line are you drawing? Use specific layers for your lines and points and use qselect, use GROUP or make it a block.

Maybe some screenshots or DWG.

another problem here is that you want to stretch the line using grips, rather than move the line altogether (i think).

i don't know a way you can do this whilst retaining your points on the line, because when you stretch using grips the line changes length, and how would the AutoCAD elves know where to put the points when the line changes length?

the good news is that i expect there is another way you can achieve your end goal. if you tell us why you are doing this, maybe we can tell you how it can be done.

Hi Everyone,

thanks a lot for the response.

I am attaching a picture showing what I want to do.

In the left side of the picture, a line is divided in to 5 parts which means autocad will insert 4 points on the line. In the right side of the figure, I select the line and all points then move an end of the line to a new position while another end is fixed. You can see that the points do not move with line.

I am wondering if these points also move with the line. After moving the line, the position of points should always divide equally the line.

qselect, and group could only help me selecting the points and line while I can not use block because I need to export the information (coordinate) of the points in the new position while converting to block will remove this information.

I need to do this many times so that divide it again will be very laborious for me.

any help will be very much appreciated

ScreenShot003.jpg

OK, so we aren't moving the line itself we're moving one endpoint of the line. Actually it's more like rotating the line about a fixed endpoint. You're looking for some kind of rubberband like effect where the points on the line would remain equidistant from each other whether the line is made longer or shorter.

I need to do this many times so that divide it again will be very laborious for me.

Perhaps you could move the line BEFORE you did the Divide, then you would only have to do it once.

I made this using aligned dimensional constraints in block editor. But it only stretches linearlarily (yes I absolutely made that word up). You have to rotate it manually. Maybe someone else can add to it.

edit: linearly is correct, I was close

linesss.dwg

I made this using aligned dimensional constraints in block editor. But it only stretches linearlarily (yes I absolutely made that word up). You have to rotate it manually. Maybe someone else can add to it.

edit: linearly is correct, I was close

Something like that is what I was thinking, I would use = constraint between the the points (you will need to make seperate lines between the points and/or replace the points with small circles) and add a stretch and/or rotation parameter. If I only knew the intended purpose, I could do one out in a couple minutes.