+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Have you tried taking a vacation?

-- Hrabal -- And as I walked down other corridors, thousands of silent, defenseless books passed before me like the chickens that had broken out of their cages at the slaughterhouse...the chickens that waddled and pecked for a while but were always caught by the girls, who then hung them on the conveyor belt's hooks, thus condemning them, like these books stacked along the corridors, to an early grave. ~ Too Loud a Solitude ~

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

I have had this happen before. What I did was enter a viewport that I could select and then hit CTRL+R to toggle through the viewports. When it entered the one that I couldn't select I double clicked out of it and it was selectable.....wierdest thing.

Computer Details
    lulumara's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Window 10
    Computer:
    Intel i7
    Discipline
    P&ID
    lulumara's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Cad Designer/ Draftsman
    Discipline
    P&ID
    Details
    Mechanical, Piping draftsman, Structural, Underground electrical distribution designer (civil), Architectural, and more.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Just open the Layer Manager and go to viewport or look for layers who is frozen then click it to unfreez it then go back to your paperspace then you 'll see the viewport right away.
    Jimmy - using AutoCad 2017 and Solidworks 2009

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

way to go noypi, turn on all the layers and check the drawing.

Computer Details
    Dipali's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    windows 10
    Computer:
    TOSHIBA "SATELLITE"
    CPU:
    Intel inside CORE i7
    Monitor:
    viewsonicVA1916w
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Dipali's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    ARCHITECTURE
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    interiors
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by slimjramirez View Post
    I've had this happen several times; it's the damndest thing. If you hover over it, nothing happens. You can't select it. I'll draw it on Defpoints; which may be on, thawed, I can do anything with any other object on every other layer, but the VP is like a ghost. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

I have yet to discover why this happens or how to fix it. I can only assume that there's some system variable. Probably something like VPFRUSTRATOR or something along those lines. Sometimes, if I do a saveas, for whatever reason, in the new drawing, the VP is selectable again.

who knows?
    if you are using defpoint layer, as menetioned by SEANT above if layer 0 is off or freeze you can not select anything that is in defpoint layer. this has also been discuseD in detail here. if you search with keyword 'defpoint' , you shall find it.
    "An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drawing board & a wrecking bar at the site."
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Using
    AutoCAD 2004

I'm pretty CAD-savvy, short of writing lisps, but this one has stumped me on a few drawings. I know and use CTL-R quite a bit, and layers are the first thing I check. But it's so weird, I can run through my quick -la, o, *,t,*,*,u,* to do an all-layer on/thaw/unlock, and everything comes on accordingly, but the viewport will still not be selectable. I mean; I can CTL-R to get into the VP from the PS layout and make it active, but I still cannot select it as in changing it with grips; I can't make it wider/shorter, I can't move it to another position. I don't know if there's a system variable that permanently locks (with no method of reversing it) a VP, or if it's just a one-in-a-million-chance bug. It's only happened about 4 times that I can recall. I've always eventually got it working again soon after so it was never a major issue, but it still amazed/es me when it happens.

It reminds me of when I was 6 and accidentally flipped my eyelid not knowing what had happened, then for years, trying to make it happen again so I could understand it...

I eventually figured out how to flip them again (and scare the hell out of my little brothers), but I still wait for that magical moment when "There is no viewport (spoon; Matrix, yo)" happens.

I'm such a goober... lol
    Justin J. F. RamireZ - Drafter Extraordinaire
    Bryan/College Station, Tx

REVIT MEP 2009, CAD MEP 2009, CAD LT '00 & '04, CAD 04

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Dipali said something about relationship from layer defpoints and 0, I tried that and is correct, my layer 0 was off and no matter what I did viewport seems like a ghost, then settinh layer 0 on, wow, like magic, all viewports being selectable. Now I need to figure how relationsip is working (environment variable?, etc.9 whatever, vieport is working.

Thank you

Using
    AutoCAD 2009

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I have Acad 2009 lite. I still am unable to select the viewport. I therefore made more viewports within the vp. I can cntrl R to move around but cannot select any VP. I can enter the drawing via Cntrl R but double clicking inside VP does nothing. I have spent almost an entire afternoon on this.

Computer Details
    Dipali's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    windows 10
    Computer:
    TOSHIBA "SATELLITE"
    CPU:
    Intel inside CORE i7
    Monitor:
    viewsonicVA1916w
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Dipali's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    ARCHITECTURE
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    interiors
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I have Acad 2009 lite. I still am unable to select the viewport. I therefore made more viewports within the vp. I can cntrl R to move around but cannot select any VP. I can enter the drawing via Cntrl R but double clicking inside VP does nothing. I have spent almost an entire afternoon on this.
    if you have vp inside vp double clicking will try to go inside the first vp only, whcih you said were not working properly. so to check your new vp, slect the border & double click (it is maximised viewport option) and see if it lets you inside that vp or not. than you come back & give us more onfo on the first vp, so we can probably make it work also.

Btw, START A NEW THREAD NEXT TIME FOR YOUR QUESTION.
    "An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drawing board & a wrecking bar at the site."
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Computer Details
    kencaz's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP Pro, Vista, Linux,W7
    Computer:
    HP,s Dell
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    kencaz's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Designer/Machinist
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    I think Kenny has the answer to the OP's question. I have noticed, [on 2008], anyway that if you create a VP within another VP you can scale and pan as normal until you exit out of that VP. Then trying to enter the VP again will only allow you to resize but not actually enter the VP to scale or pan through it.

You can solve this by moving the VP outside the boundries of the VP it resides in.

KC