Cntrl-C & Cntrl-V no longer functioning

Redman

Newby here with ignoramous question.

Cntrl-C and Cntrl-V no longer working as it used to. WHen I select some objects and then Cntrl-C the command line shows "_copyclip xx found" (xx being how many ever) and when I Cntrl-V the command line displays "_pasteclip" but it does not seem like anything happens. THis is the same when/if I do Edit-Copy and Edit-Paste.

If I enter the command "Copy" and "Paste" then things work as expected (within the same dwg).

Reason I need for Cntrl-C and Cntrl-V to work like it used to is because that used to work in copying things from one dwg and pasting into another dwg. ANd I have come to use that alot, and now it doesnt function like it used to. DOnt know what changes I may have made that might have effected this.

Cntrl-C and Cntrl-V does work in other applications like wordprocessing and spreadsheet and such.

WHat situations do you suggest I look at?

What other settings might have effect on this?

Thanks.

Other info:

- ACad 2002LT

- WHen I took drafting classes in college we could use our slide rule as a straight edge.

- XT computer came out 6 years after I graduated from college. I say this not so much as an excuse, but just to inform you of situation (and for comic relief).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redman

• ReMark

• mdbdesign

• chelsea1307

have you checked to make sure the layer that the objects are on is turned on and not frozen in the location you are copying to?

known problem. Only fix is to fix 2007! Here's the link for the fix:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7450124&linkID=9240618

"This hotfix will correct a problem where cut and paste, copy and paste, block and insert, wblock and insert, and drag and drop operations fail in drawings that are saved in AutoCAD® 2000 and AutoCAD® Release 14 file formats.

If you open or create a file in AutoCAD 2007 and save it in AutoCAD 2000 or AutoCAD Release 14 file formats and then open the drawing in AutoCAD 2000, 2000i, 2002 or AutoCAD Release 14 and attempt to cut and paste, copy and paste, block and insert, wblock and insert, or drag and drop objects, then these operations will fail."

Hope it help. Got into this last week. After instaling fix it work like before.

Thanks for responce Chelsea.

Yes, layer (such as OBJ2) is on in both dwgs. And other factor to consider is that the cntrl-c and cntrl-v doesnt even work with in the same dwg.

"This hotfix will correct a problem where cut and paste, copy and paste, block and insert, wblock and insert, and drag and drop operations fail in drawings that are saved in AutoCAD® 2000 and AutoCAD® Release 14 file formats.

If you open or create a file in AutoCAD 2007 and save it in AutoCAD 2000 or AutoCAD Release 14 file formats and then open the drawing in AutoCAD 2000, 2000i, 2002 or AutoCAD Release 14 and attempt to cut and paste, copy and paste, block and insert, wblock and insert, or drag and drop objects, then these operations will fail."

HUm...................

But, We do have 2007LT here in house.

Maybe some dwgs were opened with 2007LT and then SavedAs previous version (so that the 2002LT stations could open them)

Will look into that. Thanks

But I can Copy and Paste.

I can not cntrl-c and contrl-v, I can not edit-copy and edit-paste. I know those sound like the same thing, but apparently are not. If I enter copy on the command line it works.

>>>

The drawing would have had to been opened in 2007 and then "saved as" an earlier format. Since 2002 is not an option then it would have been 2000. Then the OP opened and tried to edit the drawing using 2002LT and ran into the problem.

That's why I asked about what software might have created it (or in this case modified it) as I suspected the copy/clip error mdbdesign alludes to and thus the hotfix he also mentions.

Now, who's on first? What?

Dwg I work on it was created few months ago and last week this problem surfaced. I have not any problem so far with other dwgs saved on other machine. (maybe because it was open on Aug 13/09???)

Still got to be careful when working with drawings shared amongst other users who have different versions of AutoCAD than you do. There is always the potential for a problem.

2007 (and early 2008) is notorious for the copyclip / paste fault when it saves-as an earlier version.

Make sure you have the up to date service pack for your 2007.

If you get one of these problem drawings and dont have 2007 or higher to fix it then the easiest way is to download DWGTRUVIEW free from the autodesk website.

Use the convert function of DwgTrueview and convert the problem drawing to whatever version you need (even if is supposedly the same version that the drawing already is).

DwgTrueview will report that there were errors in the drawing- just ignore this you already knew there was a problem.

Once you have done this the copy / paste problem will have been resolved.

Have you tried (ctrl+shift+c) or (ctrl+shift+V) ? copy/paste with base point? curious if it will work... (never worked with LT.. so it might not work).

I had the problem you are having in ADT 2007..don't remember how it fixed..possibly when we went to ADT2008 (autocad architecture).

Did this drawing come from another source?

I said "No, was created by self on this system".

Which is true and not so true.

Yes, created by self, sometime ago. BUt may have been copied and saved by different file name, and revised and copied to other job file ... and ... and saved as other dwg name ... and ... and ....

And may originally been 14 (on different computer) then 2000LT then 2002LT.

But, no, did not come from some complete other person/company nor exported from some other cad program or anything else like that.

ANd we do have 2007LT on this same computer, but do not know if or if not this file had been opened with 2007LT.

. . . link removed from here ...

... newby like me can not have links .....

HUm... does sound similar.

I do have 2007LT on this same computer, but do not know if this/these dwgs have or have not been opened with 2007LT.

Would this fix make it so that I could open these apparently damaged files with 2007LT and SaveAs 2000 and then files be okay ?

2007 (and early 2008) is notorious for the copyclip / paste fault when it saves-as an earlier version.

Make sure you have the up to date service pack for your 2007.

If you get one of these problem drawings and dont have 2007 or higher to fix it then the easiest way is to download DWGTRUVIEW free from the autodesk website.

Use the convert function of DwgTrueview and convert the problem drawing to whatever version you need (even if is supposedly the same version that the drawing already is).

DwgTrueview will report that there were errors in the drawing- just ignore this you already knew there was a problem.

Once you have done this the copy / paste problem will have been resolved.

Went to Autodesk web site. Not finding "Dwgtrueview". Looked all around, and did search for "DWGTRUVIEW".

General Comment:

THanks, I really appreciate what ever help.

I am on a couple hobby related forumns somewhat like this (where I can actaully contribute & help others), and I am impressed with knowlodge and helpfunness and the activity level.

Again: Copy command on the command line works. But control-C and control-v does not work in ACad, does work in other programs so is not so much a clipboard problem.

Went to Autodesk web site. Not finding "Dwgtrueview". Looked all around, and did search for "DWGTRUVIEW".

I think now it is Autodesk Design Review 2010 bundled

with DWG TrueView 2010 together

I think now it is Autodesk Design Review 2010 bundled

with DWG TrueView 2010 together

Ah. Thanks

Now that I search for "TrueView" (not "dwgtruview") I am finding it.

Okay, I will see what that does for me. If I understand properly, this utility is ment to convert dwgs from one verion to another, and maybe can recover from the problem created by 2007LT SavingAs 2000LT.

Will investigate further.

AND...

One thing I can report is that I have opened some dwgs with 2002LT that likley have not been opened since we have had 2007LT, and on those dwgs the cntrl-c and cntrl-v does work. SO that supports what you fine folks are saying about 2007LT causing this problem......

The "Notorious problem".. to you knowledgable, helpfull, friendly folks.