Prevent the use of new CAD layers

portama1

You could write a LISP undefining the New Layer command, but you might still have the possibility of blocks, etc. bringing in new layers.

Proper training and adherence would still be my recommendation, of course I get a pleasure out firing people. I miss running a company...NOT.

As mentioned, they will still be able to create objects on the wrong layers.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScribbleJ

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

• portama1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While the lisp gurus could no doubt write such a routine' date=' the obvious question is....what layer to move the errant objects to? Or do you plan to have it turn the stuff on the offending layer some butt-ugly color with big fat linewidths so you can send it back to the person? Or just delete everything on that layer?[/quote']

I didn't say it would be easy. Just that it was possible. I would not want to take on a task such as this because of the reason you stated. To many variables to deal with. My original post in this thread gives the best solution for dealing with layers that are non-standard.

I do not know of any way you can make it so that new layers cannot be made. However if you are using the ribbon there is a Manage tab that has a CAD SANDARDS checker on it. Read the help file it is very helpfull. There is a dialog box that will come up alerting you that there is a non standard layer being used.

We also have a very ridged set of standard layers here and that is mostly because we use the same object to do our product production and our reinforcing details (rebar). Everything must be on the correct layers for our product to show up correctly in the viewports that are setup for that particular step in production. I will run check standards each time I open a drawing if someone else has been in it. This checker is also great for bringing in outside drawings because you can change all their layers to your own quick and easy.

I do not know of any way you can make it so that new layers cannot be made. However if you are using the ribbon there is a Manage tab that has a CAD SANDARDS checker on it. Read the help file it is very helpfull. There is a dialog box that will come up alerting you that there is a non standard layer being used.

We also have a very ridged set of standard layers here and that is mostly because we use the same object to do our product production and our reinforcing details (rebar). Everything must be on the correct layers for our product to show up correctly in the viewports that are setup for that particular step in production. I will run check standards each time I open a drawing if someone else has been in it. This checker is also great for bringing in outside drawings because you can change all their layers to your own quick and easy.

I stand corrected. This is probably the best and cheapest way (no extra cost) to deal with this issue. I was not aware of this myself. Thanks for chiming in eyde. Now I have to wonder if a CAD lead/CAD project manager is going to take the time to go through all the drawings to insure that this is happening.

It can happen. This is how it goes within my company. The CAD lead is responsible for maintaining the company CAD standards on the project they are lead/managing. If a project has multiple CAD drafter and designers on it then the CAD lead takes the necessary steps to insure the offending party is aware of this and that they are to comply.

However since there have been so many layoffs the past two to three years there is no one to manage. Out of five designer/drafters (within the Sacramento office and there is not many others outside of this office) there is only myself left along with the company CAD Coordinator and he has his own project to deal with in addition to managing all the CAD stuff.

As mentioned, they will still be able to create objects on the wrong layers.

I agree. What you if copy/paste a block from another file? This request by the original poster simply is too far fetched for real world purposes.

I agree. What you if copy/paste a block from another file? This request by the original poster simply is too far fetched for real world purposes.

Assuming that the block was made by the company that wants to insure standards are adhered to then this would not be an issue. But of course the world is not that perfect.

Assuming that the block was made by the company that wants to insure standards are adhered to then this would not be an issue. But of course the world is not that perfect.
Yeah, there is absolutely no way that (1) company layer standards are that good and (2) never using a new file/block/etc from an outside source. That's what Layer Filters are for anyways. I say put Layer Filters in the Startup Template and call it a day.

*EDIT* I also like rkent's statement. Management is to blame, not technology. Layers are apart of AutoCAD, period, end of sentence.

Not that it matters because I would not want such a restriction but it would not be hard to write a app where you add a event handler for the LayerTable Modified event and remove the layer if it is not one of the standards, and if it has any references then change them to refer to different layer(But which one?) then remove it. Or use overrule's for deepclone etc.....

What happens if you spend money for a app then since no repercussions they just un-install it?

The best you could do is probably get a baseball bat and write on it 'LAYER MANAGER' and hit them anytime they refuse to use a correct layer.

The best you could do is probably get a baseball bat and write on it 'LAYER MANAGER' and hit them anytime they refuse to use a correct layer.

Someone mentioned that there needed to be an emoticon for coffee spewing from laughter. I want to make a request for that one.

This design could be modified slightly to accomodate Jeff's recommendation.

Capture.PNG

:danger:

Standards? STANDARDS?? We don't need no stinkin' standards!

.........we are the CAD-erales!

Good call with the anaLOG layer manager, and the GUI.

Problem solved.

I wouldn't blame the workers so much, I'd blame the management for trying to implement unrealistic standards. Sure, if an 800 dia. pipe should be on the layer PIPE_DIA_800 and they simply place it on the 0 layer or something else that is stupid and non sensible then fair enough, although you can't create standards for every eventuality. If the designer is working with a different type of pipe or part compared to normal and is not allowed to create layers what are they supposed to do, place everything on layer 0?

Standards help to ensure conformity although I can open a drawing file done by one of the drafters and still have a pretty good idea who done it due to tell tale signs each person has. It doesn't mean that it is a bad drawing though. So long as they do things logically (Boundary, BDY, BDY_Site, BDY_Survey, BDY_Exist, Boundary_Existing or something similar etc for a layer with the site boundary on it) I think it works fine.