Exporting PDF's

eleni07

Hey, I am aware this is a common question but as I am a newbie with Autocad I couldn't figure it out.

I want to export a pdf to import it in Photoshop but the drawing is not accurate, the lines are off. I tried to uncheck the option "scale lineweights" but they are still not accurate.

I've seen this mentioned before but for printing right away from Autocad, I want to import it in Photoshop not print it.

I am using Autocad 2012 for Mac.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eleni07

• ReMark

• SLW210

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) format is available on Mac, but for me, I got the best results with it to transfer sketches in Photoshop. You can export to EPS format with EXPORT command.

Regards,

Mircea

What exactly do you mean when you say "the lines are off"? I get the impression you mean they do not scale their correct length. Am I right or wrong?

@msasu

I tried exporting to EPS but I get an error message and I can't open the file

@remark

Here is a printscreen of how part of my drawing looks on Autocad: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z270/eleni07__/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-03-31at40414AM.png

and here is a link how it looks after I export it as a PDF:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z270/eleni07__/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-03-31at40414AM.png

You can see the difference, and I also get these weird squares. It's driving me nuts.

@SLW210

I am not using a third party program, I use the export command on Autocad.

I must be doing something wrong :/

Approved now. Until you have 10 posts all links need approval, this is to help reduce spammers. Why not just post directly to CADTutor? Select "Go Advanced" at lower right of reply box, then "Manage Attachments".

How do you EXPORT to PDF? I do not have that option. You print to PDF in AutoCAD with the DWG to PDF.pc3 or an external PDF app.

There is no "export to pdf" option in the drop-down list for AutoCAD 2012.

If you click on your upper left hand corner 'A' box you should find the EXPORT > PDF option, although I don't have it in my FILE drop down menu either.

The Export to PDF option doesn't give the user very much control over the final output unless you utilize the Page Setup Override.

If you click on your upper left hand corner 'A' box you should find the EXPORT > PDF option, although I don't have it in my FILE drop down menu either.

I seldom click the 'A'.

As stated by Remark "The Export to PDF option doesn't give the user very much control over the final output unless you utilize the Page Setup Override."

Try plotting to PDF and see if that works.

I attached some printscreens showing the export method and the result.

Try plotting to PDF and see if that works.

Excuse my english, but when you say plotting you mean printing right?

As I said before, I am not interested in printing it yet, I want to import it in photoshop and I would like for the lines to be in their place in order to work on top. If that makes sense.

Thank you!

Screen shot 2012-04-02 at 5.39.35 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-04-02 at 5.40.12 PM.jpg

Screenshot2012-03-31at40233AM.jpg

I think many of us assume creating a PDF from a DWG will be the answer to all our prayers when in fact we just find ourselves subsequently praying a miracle.

I wish the CAD community, in general, would stop relying on PDFs to be the answer to all our prayers when working between distinctly different programs.

I think many of us assume creating a PDF from a DWG will be the answer to all our prayers when in fact we just find ourselves subsequently praying a miracle.

I wish the CAD community, in general, would stop relying on PDFs to be the answer to all our prayers when working between distinctly different programs.

What else do you suggest if you want to import a drawing from autocad to photoshop?

You are using AutoCAD for MAC.

I know Autocad for Mac is still not developed enough, but do you think it would be solved if I do it on Windows?

Apple and Adobe do not get along, so could be a Windows PC might work better.

Did you try plotting to PDF?

You could try DWF, WMF or JPG.

I feel stupid but I don't have the option to export in either formats you 've mentioned. Maybe its the version I have?

And I am not really sure what you mean by plotting to PDF :/

There should be an option in the PLOT dialog box, for plotting to a PDF file format, where one selects their printer/plotter.

If you need something done in Photoshop then do it in Photoshop and don't do it in AutoCAD then try to export it as a PDF to get it into Photoshop. We tend to think there will always be a magic button that will instantly transform one file format to another and it will be 1) seamless and 2) flawless. Unfortunately when we learn it is neither then we start complaining. The fault is ours for being naive enough to believe, in the first place, that this works. It usually doesn't and when it does the results are less than satisfactory and we have to spend precious man-hours to "get it just right".

Plotting the PDF was better but still not accurate.

I get what you mean but as I have done this before, or I have seen other people do it I though there might be a reason, or something an doing wrong.