Intersecting Viewports Issue

jaredmccullough

Is there a way to make one viewport supercede another so that say parts of the first viewport dont cross over into the second (not enough room). Essentially I have one intial viewport. Then four other viewports which are scaled in portions of the inital. I want the scaled in viewports to supercede images from the initial so that there are not parts of the intial intersecting into the "zoomed" in viewport pictures.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkent

• jaredmccullough

• ReMark

• SLW210

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already have the viewports overlapped the issue is that the objects in one viewport intersect into the other viewport. Is there a way that I can make a viewport stand above the other viewports so that the objects below wont be seen. Basically I have one viewport that takes up almost a whole Layout. Then I have a couple smaller viewports that are "zoomed" in parts of the larger viewport. The issue I am having is that objects from the larger viewport are crossing into the smaller viewports. I dont want to see these in the small ones. Essentially I want the smaller ones to supercede "stand above" the larger one. If they cover the information from the larger one thats what I want because they are zoomed in versions of that information. I can send someone my file if they think it will help in explaining.

Once you have your 5 viewports the way you want them. Now draw a pline in the same space but draw around the viewports, imagine ending up with a cross shaped pline, make sure to close the pline. Now use the clip command, pick the viewport, now pick the cross shape.

my viewports are already mulit viewports in objects (They are all circles). Picture this I have a aerial map of a bunch of buildings and equipment. Layout 1 is a viewport of this aerial map. I have a small circle around the building then I made bigger circles to be "zoomed in views of the buildings to express which ones they are". Small circle is connected to big circle. All the big circles have been made MVIEW with zoomed in scales of the building. The issue I am having is that the equipment and stuff from the "Main" (Aerial) viewport is showing in the other viewports. (I dont mean showing in that they are in the current "zoomed" viewport but are showing up behind/through/intersecting/however in the circle viewports). Thank you everyone for aiding in my issue hopefully someone knows the answer

Are the smaller viewports completely inside the big viewport or do they overlap? My solution will work, just adjust for circles, arcs, etc.

Other options.

1) First draw a rectangle that will be the size wanted for the big

viewport. Use the Region command and make that a region, now use the

Mview command, Object option and pick the region. Adjust the view in

that viewport accordingly.

Now draw circles or polygons, etc. that will represent the smaller

viewport(s). Place those where you will want them. Use the Region

command again. Use the subtract command and pick the large region

then the smaller one(s). Now draw the circles again in the blank

space, use the Mview command, Object option. Adjust those viewports

accordingly. Because these are regions now you won't be able to edit

them like a normal viewport, IE: grip stretch, etc.

2) In MS use wipeout to hide the area you want another VP to reside.

Now in PS use MVIEW and grab the opposite corners of the wipeout.

I am fairly new to autocad I apologize for not understanding this would apply. So in step basically your saying.

Draw circle around the circle viewport

Clip viewport inside the circle

It then says specify starpoint from this point what are my next steps?

I am fairly new to autocad I apologize for not understanding this would apply. So in step basically your saying.

Draw circle around the circle viewport

Clip viewport inside the circle

It then says specify starpoint from this point what are my next steps?

FIRST, look at the attached, which scenario are we dealing with, left or right or combination?

cirv viewports.jpg

currently the left one but I can move the viewports to make it like the right one if its more effective or I could adjust the larger viewport likewise if the "Right side" is an easier approach

OK, so in my example on the left I would trim away all the parts so I end up with what is shown in the example, then use pedit to join them. Or use BPOLY command and pick in the middle of the big circle, then erase the big circle.

Now use MVIEW, Object option, pick the new shape, you now have a viewport. Now keep repeating the MVIEW, Object option and pick the smaller circles one at a time. You have 5 viewports, adjust accordingly.

cirv viewports 2.png

They do not all have the same dimensions though some of the viewports are larger some are smaller. If it would be easier I can send you my file so it might not be as confusing a novice such as myself trying portray something that I dont know a lot about. Essentially say the big circle is a viewport of the exact model space object. THe little circles are zoomed in views of different things in the the big one (They are not in model space they are in paper space). How would I trim these when they are different viewports from the larger one?

You can post a file here, use the Go Advanced and follow along.

However, if you will just follow the steps provided I think you have everything you need.

Start with circles (not viewports), trim away the bits you don't want, it doesn't matter the size of each circle. Pedit that into one pline, or use BPOLY. Make a viewport of that.

Draw the circles for each "hole" and make those viewports.

Finally adjust each viewport for the scale you want and showing the area you want shown.

Im sure you are probably getting frustrated with me but I can't figure out quite how you are wanting this done. I cant trim since the stuff that I want trimmed is from model space on the larger viewport. The smaller viewports are on paper space and it wont let me select the objects from model space as well I dont want to trim them completely I essentially just want to "hide" them under the smaller viewports. If you look at the drawing attached the viewport in the top left the road from the "larger viewport" (this road is in model space) intersects into the smaller viewport. which it is not part of.

Area 1 Breakdown.dwg

You are trimming the Viewports and not the objects back in model space. Remember that a viewport is just a window that let's one view model space objects.

When you partially close the curtains on one of your house windows are you physically cutting the objects you see outside the window? No! You are just restricting your view of them that's all.

I think all you need to do not to see the larger view ports items is just to freeze the viewport layer.

Sorry just tried and freezing does not work. I think clipping is the only way to go

So I went through the exact process I described earlier. I drew a pline to just surround the work in model space showing through your existing viewport, when I got to the ellipse I simply used the near osnap and picked along the ellipse, then used arc option in pline for the circles, closed that pline. Used the clip command, picked the viewport (the big one) then picked the new pline.

Then it was a matter of using mview, object, and pick the circle, and then went again to pick the ellipse.

area 1.dwg

When you partially close the curtains on one of your house windows are you physically cutting the objects you see outside the window? No! You are just restricting your view of them that's all.

Nice, I am going to remember that one.

MultiVPoverlap.PNG

One model space drawing...three viewports. Each was created using, as rkent mentioned, the MVIEW command and the OBJECT option. The center viewport was first created via the TRIM and PEDIT commands.