AutoCad Testing for a job

delliott

If you are a AutoCad Drafter/Designer for 24 years and you applied for a job and the job called you wanting you to take a CAD test, would you?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• BlackBox

• rkent

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

If I really needed that job to put food on the table for my wife and family then... yes, I would.

You could always ask them if they would like to see examples of your work but don't expect them to say "come right in and show us."

If you are a AutoCad Drafter/Designer for 24 years and you applied for a job and the job called you wanting you to take a CAD test, would you?

Yes, I would. :thumbsup:

Edited by BlackBox
Posts lacking empathy removed

Sure...if you know the type of CAD for the field you're applying, then it shouldn't be an issue. Right?

If it's just a basic CAD test and you are well versed, then it still shouldn't be an issue. The last CAD test I took, previous employer, was a breeze and REALLY basic. Just my $.02.

The problem these days is anyone can pilfer a CAD drawing and say it is their work so some companies like to test their applicants to weed out the less than skilled. With 24 years of experience, unless it has all been using the DOS version of AutoCAD, you should make the cut with room to spare.

So, you wouldn't feel like it is an insult?

I understand your point. If it means that much to you then tell them "Thanks, but no thanks." Next.

So, you wouldn't feel like it is an insult?

No, not at all. I did take a test for a job years ago and thought nothing of it. Apparently I did really well on it because after they scored it they were falling all over themselves to get me signed up.

Some look at it as an insult but they have no way of knowing what you can do. Go take the test and blow it out of the water, then let the negotiations begin.

Along a similar vein we were asked by our employer to essentially write our own yearly evaluation. Most were up in arms over it but I spent 5 nights working on it, I even bought evaluation software. The manager used most of what I wrote for the official evaluation, a promotion was thrown in for good measure.

Moral of the story, when someone gives you a chance to control your destiny you grab it and run.

If you've been at the same job for 24 years, I can see how you would feel that way. The jobs market has changed in that time, and not for the better. "Insults" are par for the course. Employers are doing everything they can to weed out applicants, and if you're not willing to jump through every hoop, you're back on the street. For some hoops they don't even tell you they're there. Not enough attention to your Facebook page? You're no good at social media. Less-than-perfect credit score? You're an embezzlement risk. Give a wrong answer to an innocent question? You failed the psychological evaluation. Don't call us, and we won't call you.

How many times has someone here asked a question and then stated X number of years of experience when another person questions their work.

Then get mad and leave.

You will always be tested (one way or another, either officially (verifiable) or un-officially (subjective)). Get insulted by every test and you will likely be doing more of them. One way or another. You have a choice about the first kind of test, not the second.

Answer: Yes if I really wanted this job, no if I didn't.

CyberAngel, the OP said 24 years experience, I don't think they said at the same place. Have you had a potential employer look up your Facebook page? Just curious, I have heard of it but never got to ask someone about it. I don't bother with one but if I suddenly need a job maybe I better create one?

Yep, I'd do it.

It's not an insult, they don't know you so I'm sure they don't mean anything personal. It's just an extension of an interview

CyberAngel, the OP said 24 years experience, I don't think they said at the same place. Have you had a potential employer look up your Facebook page? Just curious, I have heard of it but never got to ask someone about it. I don't bother with one but if I suddenly need a job maybe I better create one?

I do not use social media, nor can I speak for Cyberangel....

However, I have absolutely seen people being weeded out of contention for a job position due to social media debauchery... Too many photos of drinking, at bars, at clubs, etc. being made public. Company's want to hire professionals, not delinquents; simply keep your personal life personal.

I do not use social media, nor can I speak for Cyberangel....

However, I have absolutely seen people being weeded out of contention for a job position due to social media debauchery... Too many photos of drinking, at bars, at clubs, etc. being made public. Company's want to hire professionals, not delinquents; simply keep your personal life personal.

I understand people being weeded out for the things you mention, but CyberAngel also mentions

Not enough attention to your Facebook page? You're no good at social media.
, so I was interest in hearing more about that and why social media is deemed by some employers as needed for a drafting/design job.

I understand people being weeded out for the things you mention, but CyberAngel also mentions

, so I was interest in hearing more about that and why social media is deemed by some employers as needed for a drafting/design job.

Think of social media, and the friends, followers, etc. that one has as a currency, or at minimum a field of influence.

Not sure how his statement applies to CAD production positions, but Autodesk personalities / evangelists can be seen as similar to marketing companies, blogs, or news sites, in that it's all about the influence, or audience that follows your lead.

If two professionals apply for the same job, and the only distinction between them is that one has a million more friends, followers, etc. then they're picked, as the company stands to see some potential publicity when mentioned...

"Just got a new job, working for BowTiesAreCool in Miami, FL"

I would want to do it, to show them my chops. :)

Just consider it due diligence on their part.

Your profile says using LT, are you comfortable with the full version too?

If this is a CAD team/dept. type of place with multiple drafters, I would see the test as a chance to prove my skills before getting in the door and possibly increase the starting pay rate.