I need to create a solid with one surface that twists and is not in any one plane

uraniumtiger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uraniumtiger

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• scj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys,

I am working with my trial version of AutoCAD 2013. However, I am also looking at Inventor Fusion. But it seems very different and I do not know how to do even basic things in Inventor Fusion. I don't see quadrants on solids. How do I draw a line on one end of a cylinder in Inventor Fusion, passing through the center point of that end face? If I cannot snap to quadrants I would have to come up with some other way. I think I probably could come up with another way but am I missing something here?

Also, regarding AutoCAD 2013, I am seeing wild differences in prices for it. How much is it? I see one on Ebay with a perpetual license for $2,200. I see academic versions on Ebay starting at 0.99 cents. On the AutoCAD website I think the price is about $4,1000.

I would recommend against buying off eBay. You may not be able to obtain the necessary authorization code. No code = no functioning program (after the 30 day trial expires). Also = lost money.

There is no reason any student should be paying for an academic version of AutoCAD since they are free just for registering at the Educational Community. And anyone who is not a student should NOT be using an educational version in a commercial (i.e. - profit making) setting. Understand?

I am just saying that I don't have a clear idea of what the actual price is because there are so many different offers and prices out there for essentially the same product. I did not say that I was going to buy the academic version.

Here is the ebay offer I looked at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOCAD-DESIGN-SUITE-ULTIMATE-2013-/330916247383?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item4d0c253757

This is a $2,000 difference from the price from AutoDesk. If they do have a proper code, isn't that a better deal than paying $4,100?

Yes, that's a good deal.....

Well, maybe. If the license can be registered/activated.

If a deal looks too good to be true.....

I don't think I would gamble $2K on an unknown source.

I tried that tack but the OP wasn't buying (at least not what I was selling). Yo' pays your money...yo' takes your chances." Caveat emptor!

I got burned on eBay buying a copy of Win7 Ultimate. The seller looked solid as a rock but it was all a sham.

I would recommend against buying off eBay. .....?

uraniumtiger - did any part of this confuse you?

If they do have a proper code, isn't that a better deal than paying $4,100?

"They" don't have the codes - Autodesk does.

Activation codes are generated by Autodesk when you register your product serial number. Be very very careful.

Well, this phrase was unclear to me: "I tried that tack but the OP wasn't buying (at least not what I was selling)" I don't know what "OP" means. Now that I think of it maybe it means "other party." I don't understand what ReMark's efforts to sell things have to do with this.

Regarding the codes, I don't know much about them. I presume, though, that if you walk out of a store with AutoCAD in your hand (having just purchased it) then whether it is you who registers it or if, before you do anything with the product you sell it to someone else, then if the other person registers it, either way the person who registers it is going to be given a code by AutoDesk. Isn't that right? The product for sale on Ebay that I included a link to in an earlier post says "THE SOFTWARE IS FACTORY SEALED AND HAS NEVER BEEN REGISTERED."

Regarding the codes, whoever purchases the product then gets the codes, right? If the seller got the codes he could just include them with the item when he sell it, I think.

Regar... earlier post says "THE SOFTWARE IS FACTORY SEALED AND HAS NEVER BEEN REGISTERED."

I am going to give a bit of history and then I give up.

There is a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg history of debate about who owns and can sell Autodesk software.

Several years ago there was a well publisized case that ruled in favor of the seller.

But what most seemed to miss was the court ruled that the seller could sell the media (disk, today almost no one gets an actual usb drive, they download the software), the ruling did not say that Autodesk had to activate the license. (you might own the media, but you are renting the software)

Since that case activation of license has gotten tighter.

There are still plenty of pirated software available - anyone can sell anything and say it is factory sealed and never registered and be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth. In many cases these pirated installs somehow get around activation - doesn't make it legal. The penalty is quite severe if you get caught.

There are over six million student members of the Autodesk Student Community who get the software for free. You would be astonished to see how many post their personal serial number on public websites. I am quite certain enterprising individuals steal these numbers as fast as they are revealed. I personally know someone who has been burnt by this from a legit looking website that linked the court case mentioned above as how they could legally sell the software.

Bottom line - it is your $2k, post back on the results after you make the purchase.

I am sure it is possible to get a legit seat from someone who purchased but never used and now needs the money.

But I would make very sure I made the right contact under the right conditions before I would turn over my $2k. Good luck!

Let me clarify something. I am not doing anything immediately. I am going on a meditation retreat tomorrow and won't be communicating with people (for the most part) until about May 16th. This will also give me more time to think about things (like what I should do about a CAD program).

The trial version of AutoCAD 2013 that I have been using does seem like a nice program and it is also consistent with and similar to what I have been using up until recently, AutoCAD R14 (meaning that the learning curve is not so big).

Yes, I will let you know what happens but it may be that nothing will happen for a while.

what started to be a simple read has turned into a book in which i need to know the ending!!! lol...

The ending can go a few different ways.

The OP can buy the software off of eBay. It will either work (great) or not. If it doesn't then he is out $2,000 with little recourse other than to complain to eBay and AutoDesk. Not sure if either will be of much help to him.

He can elect to buy an AutoDesk product from an "authorized" AutoDesk reseller. His wallet will take a hit but at least he'll know his software is legit.

He can find and use a free AutoCAD-clone program like nanoCAD or DraftSight but he'll be limited to 2D.

Or he can purchase, at a greatly reduced cost compared to full AutoCAD, an AutoCAD-clone capable of 3D (ex. - Bricscad).

Finally, he can give up on CAD and go get an accounting degree.

And he lived happily ever after with his childhood sweetheart. The end.

You are a cold individual ReMark. I like that.

Obviously he could get a version for free from "the back door alley of the internet" but thats stealing....

..Obviously he could get a version for free from "the back door alley of the internet" but thats stealing....

And puts a company as very serious financial risk.

As for an option at another brand of software the OP can look at Moi3d, which is a low cost and high function nurbs modeling program. They have a demo that can be downloaded. I like autodesk products but I have no problem looking at another product if it can aid me in my job.