I need to create a solid with one surface that twists and is not in any one plane

uraniumtiger

Although Inventor Fusion is still available - I recommend you try Fusion 360 instead since the technology preview has been retired.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uraniumtiger

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• scj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys,

Fusion 360 is only available if I join a Beta program and give feedback (which would probably be ok) but then after some time they end your license and you need to buy it (probably thousands of dollars). There are also three year licenses for student versions of 2013 editions of AutoCAD for cheap (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AutoCAD-2013-Windows-32-64-Bit-Mac-OS-X-NO-WATERMARK-/140954557921?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item20d18bdde1). (Presumably when the license runs out in three years I could just buy another cheap student license.) Also, I was able to download and install Inventor Fusion. Maybe that is my best bet. But it looks like there will be a learning curve if I choose to use this, as it looks different from AutoCAD R14. If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions on these things I would be interested.

Uraniumtiger

Hi SLW210,

Thanks for the tip but I am not a student. I don't want to lie to them. With the version I can buy on Ebay that is for students I think I don't have to falsely tell anyone that I am a student (I could be wrong about that).

Uraniumtiger

If you need to do this type of work - you need to invest in modern software.

Another option would be to download a 30-day trial of AutoCAD 2014.

I think Creo direct is free (not sure) and could do this geometry (not sure).

Hi guys,

Maybe ReMark is right and I should not download the educational version of AutoCAD. (It was just an option. I did not decide nor commit to doing that.) I can't see using Fusion 360 (as a Beta version with me giving them feedback) because they are just going to essentially take the program away from me in some number of months (perhaps soon after I have gotten proficient with it). I have now downloaded Inventor Fusion as well as Creo Direct. Inventor Fusion was able to open my AutoCAD files and the interface seems somewhat like AutoCAD R14. The interface of Creo Direct seems fairly different and also it does not seem to be able to open my files. Maybe I could just learn to use Inventor Fusion.

By the way, I am willing to pay for a program. Say, up to about $200 or so for a decent program that does what I need. But I do not feel I can pay $3,000 or some price like that for a full fledged up to date CAD program.

Is there any reason why I should not just use Inventor Fusion?

-Uraniumtiger

In response to JD Mather's comment: A 30 day free trial of AutoCAD 2014 will not help, as I need to work on this for much longer than 30 days and I cannot pay the full AutoCAD price after 30 days.

With that kind of budget your options are going to be very limited. There is a 3D modeling program called BRL_CAD which is open source. There are free AutoCAD-clone programs but they tend to be strictly 2D. There are low cost (not as low as you'd like) that offer 3D capability. There is also Sketchup which you can download for free (a basic version) or pay to upgrade to a more robust version.

Hi ReMark,

Why couldn't I just use the Inventor Fusion, which I was able to download and install? Won't that do what I need? I have been using AutoCAD R14 for some time and it was meeting my needs up until this issue arose. Maybe I can continue by using Inventor Fusion. Do you know of any reason why I can't do that?

I did not say that you could not use Inventor Fusion. I was just sharing some additional information should you decide to spend some of your scarce dollars on a different program. Use whatever program suits your needs and your budget.

Do you know of any reason why I can't do that?

Start Fusion. Go to Help>About Autodesk Inventor Fusion

Does it report as the License Expiration date?

Edited by JD Mather

Hi JD Mather,

I have Inventor Fusion open but I don't see a help page or button anywhere. I tried clicking F1 but that takes me to a webpage.

No wait, I found a help page. I need to read through the text as it appears long. I will see if there is a product expiration date.

No wait, I found a help page. I need to read through the text as it appears long. I will see if there is a product expiration date.

It should be real obvious if there is an expiration date.

License.jpg

Yes, this is where I was reading. When I copied the text out and pasted it into an MS Word file it was 33 pages long. 33 pages of legalese. I am reading it and I am about half way through. So far there is no sign at all of an expiration date. It is just one contributing software author after another saying that they give permission to use the software provided the copyright notice and the list of conditions is retained in the software code. I will get back to you when I finish reading through this.

Hi JD Mather,

I just read through the entire document (or I skimmed through it). I did not see any mention anywhere of an expiration date for the software. I guess that means I can use the product indefinitely. Do you think that is right?

-Uraniumtiger

Hi guys,

For now I am using a 30 day free trial of AutoCAD 2013. It seems very nice. However, I am confronted with the same issue I had before. How do I convert these 3dpolylines into a solid? What commands do I use?

Uraniumtiger

In AutoCAD 2013 I create the 3d polylines, I go on the menu to

Modify

ac.menuaro.gif> 3D Operations >ac.menuaro.gif Convert to Solid. I draw a window selecting the polylines and the system says "5 found" I push carriage return. The system says "5 objects cannot be converted."