Image distortion

gotchy

I'm not sure that this problem has anything to do with Autocad, or maybe my Video settings or adaptor, but I get an awful distortion of geometric drawings on my monitor, and yet the objects print out correctly. for example a perfect circle shows up as an elipse and enclosed is what a perfect square looks like.

Thanking you in advance is,

Gotchy

Distortiion.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• gotchy

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks square to me. Make sure your monitor resolution is set to it's native resolution. This gives the best results. If not, things can be skewed quite easily since pixels are being stretched and squished to "fit" the monitor.

I forget exactly the autocad command but you can definately change the screen X Y to improve this problem like the old fashioned adjust buttons on the monitor, maybe check that method out first.

If anyone knows the Autocad command to change the screen X Y, I would appreciate their sharing it with me, I was shocked to read that the screen shot that I submitted looked "square" too tzframpton, until I looked at it on another monitor, and it is indeed square, sir. In reality, on the monitor in question it looks like a rectangle whose height is 35-40% higher than it's width. That's how badly the axes are off.

Thank you,

Gotchy

If anyone knows the Autocad command to change the screen X Y, I would appreciate their sharing it with me, I was shocked to read that the screen shot that I submitted looked "square" too tzframpton, until I looked at it on another monitor, and it is indeed square, sir. In reality, on the monitor in question it looks like a rectangle whose height is 35-40% higher than it's width. That's how badly the axes are off.

Thank you,

Gotchy

Is this a new monitor or computer, or a new installation? Do you share computers? If it looks square on other monitors, including mine then it is as mentioned before, your monitor resolution/screen settings are off, it probably has nothing to do with AutoCad. See your IT department, or look for your display settings/advanced settings in Windows Control Panel.

Maybe someone has decreased the screen resolution from "Native" to make web pages fill the screen better.

I want to thank all who tried to solve this riddle for me.

It appears that I need to upgrade to Windows 7. RCL on Win 7 desktop will give me the options that I need,

XP doesn't even come close.

Thanks again,

Gotchy

For the people at the back................

Windows XP Professional Product Documentation > Customizing your computer

To change your screen resolution

Open Display in Control Panel.

On the Settings tab, under Screen resolution, drag the slider, and then click Apply.

When prompted to apply the settings, click OK. Your screen will turn black for a moment.

Once your screen resolution changes, you have 15 seconds to confirm the change. Click Yes to confirm the change; click No or do nothing to revert to your previous setting.

Note

•To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

•A higher screen resolution reduces the size of items on your screen and increases the relative space on your desktop

•You can switch your screen resolution temporarily to 640 X 480 if you have games or other programs that are set to run at that resolution. To switch, right-click the game or program (on the desktop or on the Start menu), and then click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, and then select the Run in 640x480 screen resolution check box. Your display reverts to its default resolution when you close the program.

•Your monitor and video adapter determine how much you can change your screen resolution. You may not be able to increase the resolution above a certain level.

•Changes to screen resolution affect all users that log on to the computer.

•Only the recommended screen resolutions are listed. For additional settings, click the Advanced button on the Settings tab, click the Adapter tab, and then click List all Modes. Select the resolution, color level, and refresh rate you want.

Rob,

Over the last several days I have learned that the operating system that I am using, XP Pro, is totally different from Windows 7 in the area of Screen resolution. I am going to upgrade to Win 7 as I do have one seat left that I can use for this troublesome machine. At that point we will see if this issue can be resolved or not. thank you for your concern.

Gotchy

Since when does screen resolution depend on the OS? Isn't this a function of what your graphics card is capable of producing and what your monitor is capable of displaying?

Rob,

Over the last several days I have learned that the operating system that I am using, XP Pro, is totally different from Windows 7 in the area of Screen resolution. I am going to upgrade to Win 7 as I do have one seat left that I can use for this troublesome machine. At that point we will see if this issue can be resolved or not. thank you for your concern.

Gotchy

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink the lemonade.