Export DWF/PDF

slugula

Help,

I am searching for help to save an existing DWG in black & white in 8-1/2"x11"

format to PDF. Seems much tougher then I expected...

Thanks!

Doug

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• slugula

• SLW210

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do you have to export it? Can't you just print it to PDF format?

I need to save it as a pdf for a city permit process & they want it in Black & White on 8.5" x 11". I've never had a need for this prior and am having a hard time getting there. I also have one page that has photos attached that also need to be in B&W.

I think you are misunderstanding what "print to PDF" means. When you print to a PDF AutoCAD creates a PDF file that can be opened and printed by anyone who receives a copy of the file. Like printing a drawing one has the option to specify it be printed in monochrome (i.e. - black & white).

If you look in the print/plot dialog window you'll see under the Printer/Plotter heading the word Name. Using the down pointing arrow at the end of the box after the word Name scroll down the list until you find the option DWG to PDF.pc3. This is the option you want to select. After making your choice proceed as you normally would. When finished click on the OK button at the bottom of the window. A second window will appear giving you the ability to save the file in a particular location. If you don't like the default location listed at the top of the window change it. When you are done click on the Save button in the lower right hand corner of the window. The drawing is plotted to PDF format and immediately upon finishing the PDF will open for your review.

Or.......

In Map 3D look under Options (assuming it exists) for Export then choose the PDF format. This will create a PDF as well but in my opinion I prefer to use the Print/Plot to PDF feature. Your choice.

I think you are misunderstanding what "print to PDF" means. When you print to a PDF AutoCAD creates a PDF file that can be opened and printed by anyone who receives a copy of the file. Like printing a drawing one has the option to specify it be printed in monochrome (i.e. - black & white).

If you look in the print/plot dialog window you'll see under the Printer/Plotter heading the word Name. Using the down pointing arrow at the end of the box after the word Name scroll down the list until you find the option DWG to PDF.pc3. This is the option you want to select. After making your choice proceed as you normally would. When finished click on the OK button at the bottom of the window. A second window will appear giving you the ability to save the file in a particular location. If you don't like the default location listed at the top of the window change it. When you are done click on the Save button in the lower right hand corner of the window. The drawing is plotted to PDF format and immediately upon finishing the PDF will open for your review.

Or.......

In Map 3D look under Options (assuming it exists) for Export then choose the PDF format. This will create a PDF as well but in my opinion I prefer to use the Print/Plot to PDF feature. Your choice.

I need the actual drawing saved in b & w as the city shows them on an overhead projector. I had no issue printing the right size & in b & W but they want the entire package in B & W.

I don't understand what the problem is. The process I outlined above will create a black and white PDF. Did you even try it? I did....and it worked.

Are the photos in color? I'm assuming they are.

You are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. Please attach a copy of one of the drawings that must be saved to PDF format to your next post. We need a .DWG file not an image file. As for converting color photos to black and white either you need to use another program (ex. - Adobe Illustrator) or one of the free conversion websites.

If you have correctly created the color PDF, you can use Acrobat Pro to convert the color to B&W, if you have Pro or go online HERE and convert to grayscale. You could set a printer to plot it to B&W at the printer, then scan it to a PDf, also.

You will need some program to convert the image as mentioned by ReMark.

Seeing how you have Map 3D, you might have other options, I'm not that familiar with Map 3D.

You got some serious issues if it takes that long need to update your ram.

I think the thread you want is down the corridor, third door on the right. Walk right in they're expecting you.

I was the one who asked him to attach a copy of a drawing since I was under the impression he was trying to create a PDF from within AutoCAD. Maybe that isn't the case?

I need the actual drawing saved in b & w as the city shows them on an overhead projector. I had no issue printing the right size & in b & W but they want the entire package in B & W.

Yes photos are in color too. I still don't understand how you saved the file in black & white...

I was the one who asked him to attach a copy of a drawing since I was under the impression he was trying to create a PDF from within AutoCAD. Maybe that isn't the case?

Yes, the drawing is fine, but monochrome or not, AutoCAD will not create the color image as B&W in the PDF. If the OP will post or send the image files, I can make them B&W in Photoshop.