acad.fas virus

bcline

Not sure which forum to post this in...hope this is ok...

I work for a company that has received an Autocad virus from our sister office in China and is spreading throughout our network in the U.S. Every time we start up cad, it creates a file "acad.fas" in the support folder which causes the program to fail. If I close Cad and try to re-open, it tells me that the file is already open on my computer. I am trying to find what creates this .fas file on startup and how to get rid of it.

We have run searches on our server and desktops top remove the acad.fas file, but it keeps coming back every time cad is opened.

Any Ideas? I can give more details if necessary.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• DANIEL

• Jack_O'neill

• Ric

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Virus-lsp.jpgI tried what was recommended but I replaced logo.gif with acad.fas since that is one we are having a problem with. See attached.

I have an acad2009.lsp file in both C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2009\Support and in C:\Users\ric\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\support so I added the code to both files

After a very frustrating chat session on the Norton customer service page with someone named Silpa who seemed to be speaking to me through Babelfish, since English was very obviously not his first language, I think I was able to determine that Norton 360 and/or Power Eraser would remove the acad.fas virus. "Norton will be removing all your infections with no difficulties".

I have also found references to someone who believes that Kaspersky will remove it as well, but I can't guarantee success with either. I've used Norton 360 for 18 months now, ever since AVG let a virus in that cost me 2 weeks of work and a chunk of change. It has fended off countless intrusions, so many that I turned off the notification, removed and blocked untold numbers of tracking cookies and spyware. So far (knock on wood) it's never let me down. I highly recommend it. It scans every download and email before it lets me access it, and will on request evaluate the safety of any webpage I go to. During this time, I've been able not only to avoid any infections of my system, but have even alerted 2 customers to the fact that they had viruses too.

Caution...rant follows:

You know, it would be nice if these companies would hire a few people who actually speak native English to service their English speaking customers. There's gotta be somebody in the English speaking world that needs a job that could field these questions. He was working off his script and asking canned questions. Took me 5 tries to get him to understand that all I wanted to know was if the product would remove that specific virus. Couldn't be that much more expensive to hire someone that actually speaks English folks!...end of rant.

Jack, that's for the information. I'm glad you're having success with Norton antivirus software. We are using ESET and our IT service is contracted, but local. I am going to repeat what was originally recommended without making any changes to the code. Will post here if I have any success.

Thanks.

i got infected quite a while back but really didnt have to deal with it because well, i didnt have time so they just gave me a new machine lol. I hope you guys have success with this because i'm sure i'll see this virus again eventually ........

i got infected quite a while back but really didnt have to deal with it because well, i didnt have time so they just gave me a new machine lol. I hope you guys have success with this because i'm sure i'll see this virus again eventually ........

Just don't accept any dwg files from china or india, you should be ok.

If you had practiced safe computing you would not have gotten infected. It is computing we're talking about and not sex right?

its suprisingly easy to have safe sex with a computer ........

• 5 months later...

Why there is no body working on studying this acad.fas virus? It is troubling so many users of acad.

Who has created this virus? Please kindly stand out to solve this problem.

As I can feel it seems so difficult ot refuse cooperation from China today.

Edited by Cad64
Merged Posts

I haven't come across any information identifying the person or persons responsible for the virus.

Is your system infected?

Computer viruses are an industry. If you think about it, the anti-virus software producers have a huge incentive to either produce more viruses or remain as vague as possible about virus removal. I also find it suspicious that M$ doesn't do more to assist users with this problem.

Wrap your grassy knoll around my neck and call me a conspiracy theorist but I find it hard to understand why it's so hard to just remove a virus without having to pay for software which installs it's own spyware and possibly even more viruses. Virus protection slows down my monster (i7 quad core) machine to a crawl sometimes. And sometimes I have to disable it to install new software. There should be a website which allows users to get information about what a virus is and what the risks are and most important, how to remove it without forking over $$$. The majority of websites which claim to give you information about a particular virus usually only list that the thing is a virus...duh... and then give a list of the anti-virus software which claims to detect (not remove) it. I think the whole thing is a big scam.

Now, on to the China Syndrome. I have several servers which are on the frontline of my Internet connection running firewalls and routing packets. I don't bother to look at the log files much anymore because it's almost always full of the same kind of entries listing break-in attempts and other attempts to access non-existent webpages, etc... And almost all of them come from IP addresses which originate in China. It's a real shame that so much effort is wasted on break ins and efforts to prevent break ins. A real shame.....

I quote the famous comedian Gallagher....

...this is why the flying saucers aren't landing. They take one look at what a bunch of lying, cheating, crooked idiots humans are and say "Next"...!

So Bill you think that anti-virus software producers are writing viruses so they can push their products on us? I disagree with you on that one.

In my normal day-to-day activities both at work and at home I can recall only one anti-virus program that slowed a computer down. And when that happened I gave it the boot immediately, found, downloaded and installed a new one.

I always disable anti-virus software prior to installing any new software. I also create a Restore point prior to doing so.

All the major anti-virus websites publish reams of information about the most common viruses and, in some cases, provide either detailed information on how to go about removing them and/or special program in the form of a " removal tool" specifically designed to do the job.

Not to defend Microsoft but as a result of the existence of free anti-virus programs they responded by introducing Microsoft Security Essentials. Now, I personally use a commercial program on my home CAD computer but just as a test I installed MS Essentials on a laptop I use mainly for emails and surfing the Web. That was two years ago. The program was free and the updates are too. I've never had a virus on my laptop. If one thinks about it, practicing safe computing is like practicing safe sex. If you do it consistently you're not very likely to catch a disease.

I have no doubt that there is much hacking by Chinese programmers here in the U.S. It does not surprise me. Do you think we do it to them too? It's possible.

Edited by ReMark

All the major anti-virus websites publish reams of information about the most common viruses and, in some cases, provide either detailed information on how to go about removing them and/or special program in the form of a " removal tool" specifically designed to do the job.

Yes, there are tons of websites which have a list of viruses and which anti-virus software will detect it. But the only thing I ever find on how to remove the virus is to pay $29.95 per year for a subscription to their software. If you would be so kind as to point me to these numerous sites which have detailed information especially about how to remove them manually and not pay for and have to install something, I would be much appreciative.