Flatshot confusion

iainlines

Hi,

I have a very simple 3D model which I would like to produce some manufacturing drawings for. Not being that great at this I wanted to use FLATSHOT, insert the blocks and then cut and paste them into paperspace. All sounds pretty simple. Thing is I have inserted the ISO view shot fine but when I come to do top and front I still get the isometric. I have made the differing viewports curret for each time I use the command but is doesn't seem to be working. Anyone care to take a look and point out what I have missed?

Thanks

Iain

Great, I can't drag and drop the file in the file upload manager!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iainlines

• ReMark

• nestly

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nestly, thanks for the demo. I am using 07 so don't have the viewcube. I have done it the old fashioned way, or at least tried to........

First flatshot of top view fine

oops, hit enter....

anyways, second flatshot of front view gave me an isometric 2D drawing. Utterly confused! I get the command, it's simple, just not getting why this is happening

EDIT:- Mark, I can add the files into the manager but it will not allow me to drag and drop

Flatshot.jpg

A quick four panel layout with my four views. Scale: 1:4.

I would strongly recommend that you create a separate layer for any viewports (set to "no print") as well as for any 2D objects (such as blocks) created with Flatshot.

Mark, will do and thanks for looking. Just to clarify, I put them onto paperspace as I want the 2D shop drawings serarate from the model. When I cut and paste it explodes automaticaaly. Can I ask how you produced yours?

I have tried Flatshot with another model and the same thing is happening in that I get the wrong output. This is getting me rather peeved

Right, this is bulls**t!!! I have nothing other than the model on screen, no 2D at all. I change to top view, type flatshot and get frgging isometric view!!!!

Let's try to remain calm. There is nothing wrong with the way the command operates; it is your technique that is probably at the root of the problem.

How did I produce mine? Simple. I created all four views in model space. I made sure that for the top, front and side views that my UCS was in the proper orientation relative to the view I was looking to create. Then I switched to an isometric view and rotated and moved the blocks created by Flatshot as required. I then switched to my paper space layout and used the MVIEW command (set up 4 views and used the FIT option).

But...before I did any of the above I created two new layers. One was for my viewports and the other for my 2D objects.

Note that you can still have your 3D model and all of your Flatshot blocks in model space as it really does not create any problems. I do it all the time.

Nestly, thanks for the demo. I am using 07 so don't have the viewcube. I have done it the old fashioned way, or at least tried to........

First flatshot of top view fine

The concept is the same, it just takes a few extra steps to get the blocks all inserted on the same View/UCS without the viewcube.

In this demo, I pasted them into Modelspace, but you could have posted them into PaperSpace just as easily (however unless the part is just the right size to fit on the paper at 1:1, I really wouldn't recommend it because, it won't dimension correctly.)

Mark,

Forgive me getting annoyed, i'll blame a poor nights sleep.

"I made sure that for the top, front and side views that my UCS was in the proper orientation relative to the view I was looking to create". When you say this do you mean something along the lines of UCS enter V enter?

Again, apologies for getting wound up, it just seems such a simple command from the tutorial vids

Iain

Nestly, how does one create a video like you did. I have just followed your tutorial vid step by step and still get an iso view when I'm not expecting it. Would love to show a vid to prove my (crumbling) sanity!!!

Maybhe it's something I'm doing with the UCS??

Iain

Mark, will do and thanks for looking. Just to clarify, I put them onto paperspace as I want the 2D shop drawings serarate from the model. When I cut and paste it explodes automaticaaly. Can I ask how you produced yours?

I have tried Flatshot with another model and the same thing is happening in that I get the wrong output. This is getting me rather peeved

I should think that by now you have gotten the hang of this with ReMark and nestly's help.

Another way to go would to be make as many extra copies of your model as you want to generate perspectives, and while in TOP view

3DROTATE each one of them into the orientation that you want to represent, but do it in TOP view.

Once you have them all wrestled into their positions you can use the FLATSHOT command on the whole bunch of them,

or on each of them separately, which would give you more ease in further manipulating them in MODELSPACE

independently of one another.

Then you can just erase the extra models you created, keeping the original intact in modelspace.

I would agree that it is better to keep those flatshots in your modelspace. :)

I did the video with Camtasia Studio, but there is a free version called Jing that takes screencaps and videos of your screen. http://www.techsmith.com/jing-features.html

The block should be a projection of the current view onto the current UCS. If your screenshot above is taken while the FLATSHOT command is still active, then there's something going on that I don't understand.

When you run FLATSHOT, is the destination set to "insert as new block"

Nestly, yes it is but here's another one for you. I just had another quick try and decided I didn't want to show hidden detail, or obscured lines as Acad says so I un-checked the box. Guess what? They're there anyway. Wonderful

Tried to download Jing but anti virus software said no!!