shape file dialog box

TroutKing

Can someone please tell me how to eliminate a dialog box that pops up when I open drawings that I have received from a contractor?

The drawings are trying to locate a shape file that I do not have access to - so I always get the dialog box "Specify Font for Style...." upon opening some drawings.

I do not have access to those certain shape files. I would simply like to prevent the box from popping up each time.

Is there a way to resolve this?

(Autocad 2002 or/and Autodesk Map 5)

Thank you!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TroutKing

• SLW210

• Tiger

• chulse

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well.... I've purged, audited and removed all the layer/filters etc.

You said that you purge/audit your drawings before you open then? How do I do that?

Well.... I've purged, audited and removed all the layer/filters etc.

You said that you purge/audit your drawings before you open then? How do I do that?

ah sorry, my bad, there's no way (I know of at least) to purge drawings before opening. I was thinking of how I usually work, I x-ref most drawings into my main drawing - so I need to purge them before I x-ref them and not count on them being in tip-top-shape...

but if you've already purged and stuff, I don't have many more suggestions.

If the contractor is someone you regularly use I would recommend to contact them and get them to send you the missing shape-file. It's possible to use E-transmit to form a package of the dwg you want to send together with all necessary shape, font and whatnot files.

Dang - I was hoping that you had some heap biggum batman decoder ring top secret way of purging and cleaning drawings without opening them! That wasn't why I opened this thread - but it sure would be a nice option to have!

I still can't seem to get rid of the shape file dialog box though. I'm not sure how to track down the text file or line type that references that particular shape file. These drawings are quite large and fill of information.

I do not have access the contractor who created the drawings in the first place. These drawings are a couple years old and that contractor no longer exists.

Thanks for your responses. If anyone comes up with more ideas I'd be glad to hear them......

I gave that lsp file a try. It seemed to run OK. But it told me that there are no unreferenced shape files. However - when I reopened the drawing - I still get the dialog box indicating that I'm missing shape files! How the heck does that happen?

To answer your question..... CA

Try checking in _OPTIONS>Files>Text Editor, Dictionary, and Font File Names>Alternate Font File and see if it is in there or try changing it to another Font.

Hmmm well...... still no luck. I thought that maybe this issue had a simple solution. Crud. Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it. I'm not sure what my next step should be but I'll keep digging around........

Is it a different Style and Font each time or is it always the same? You should notify the persons sending the drawings to include all the shape files, I believe etransmit will do this.

As a quick fix you could copy and paste another shape file in the Autocad folder and rename it to the missing one. I've done that a couple of times now, to stop that annoying box popping up!

I've uploaded a jpg of the error. It is a consistent error.

(I cannot contact the contractor who provided the drawings since they no longer exist.)

FontError.jpg

As a quick fix you could copy and paste another shape file in the Autocad folder and rename it to the missing one. I've done that a couple of times now, to stop that annoying box popping up!

That was going to be my next suggestion, if you didn't have too many different ones to do.

OK - that sounds like a good idea. What exactly is it looking for? A file called RMSC, bigfont or mpspcbar? (I have a bigfont.shx in my foldear)

The text Style is RMSC and the Font it uses is mpspcbar. If you go to Format>Text Styles you will see the difference. You can name a Style anything you want and then you Associate that Style with a Font.

You may be able to "TRICK" AutoCAD by Creating RMSC Text Style in the Text Style Editor and giving it a new font. If that doesn't work, you can try to find the missing Font on the internet.

try and purge/audit the drawings before you open them - it removes most of my Missing-Shape-file-pop-ups.

If you do a search, seems I have seen some LISPs that will Batch Purge drawings without opening them.

OK - that worked. Having never really worked with shape files before I wasn't sure how all the associations worked. When I select the style name (in the Text Style" editor) that created the need for an error dialog box - I can eliminate my problem two ways. I can either uncheck the "Use Big Font" dialog box and eliminate the "Font Style" requirement, or I can check the "Use Big Font" and reassociate the "Font Style" to bigfont.shx.

So am I correct then thinking that the "fake" file I could create would be called mpspcbar.shx?