What are some ways to prevent CAD from crashing?????

MikeP

It is very annoying every time CAD crashes. There has to be a few ways to make AutoCAD more stable so it does not crash so often. Though I use a 3rd party software (Microvellum) inside of cad . It is hard to tell what makes what crash. Is it the Cad that cannot support the software or is it the software that is causing CAD to crash. Which ever it is, there has to be a few ways to prevent CAD from crapping out so often........

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• MikeP

• tzframpton

• Patrick Hughes

Top Posters In This Topic

What OS are you running?

What are you trying to do when AC crashes?

Is the problem repeatable at the same spot in the drawing each and every time or is it a random problem?

have latest updates of both software's, downloaded AC service packs. and problem is not repeatable, it happeneds mainly at the same commands, but not consistently, therefor first time it will crash after restart and repeating it will work fine for the next 20 times unitl it crashes again out of nowhere.

have latest updates of both software's, downloaded AC service packs. and problem is not repeatable, it happeneds mainly at the same commands, but not consistently, therefor first time it will crash after restart and repeating it will work fine for the next 20 times unitl it crashes again out of nowhere.

AutoCAD is known to be buggy software. If you've done all the major updates then there's nothing you can really do that I know of. Its impossible to make a software app that's 100% stable. Too many factors to think about when programming/developing.

Update your CAD program. Get the latest 'n greatest updates.

Like StykFacE noted, I would tend to agree, Microvellum is where I would look 1st.

Go into windows and lower the hardware acceleration setting a little at a time to see if it makes a difference.

For XP, right click on the desktop, pick properties, settings tab, advanced, troubleshoot, lower hardware acceleration.

Also,

Right click on My Computer (pick start button), properties, advanced, performance, pick the adjust for best performance. This will turn off windows eye candy and leave extra resources for other programs.

Did the problems occur before the installation of Microvellum?

I beg to differ with Styk's statement re: AutoCAD known to be buggy software. I 've loaded and run many releases of AutoCAD dating back to when he was still filling his diapers with strained peas without any problems. Most of the time I believe the problems are self-induced by a combination of bad hardware, prodigious installation of suspect software, messed up Registry settings, and poor computer maintenance.

For now do what rkent suggested and post back with the results.

Did the problems occur before the installation of Microvellum?

I beg to differ with Styk's statement re: AutoCAD known to be buggy software. I 've loaded and run many releases of AutoCAD dating back to when he was still filling his diapers with strained peas without any problems. Most of the time I believe the problems are self-induced by a combination of bad hardware, prodigious installation of suspect software, messed up Registry settings, and poor computer maintenance.

For now do what rkent suggested and post back with the results.

Ive tried to lower it and I get nothing. I think Its from Microvellum. The software is riddled with bugs and glitches. I don't think there is that much I can do if that's the case. Bug my new version of CAD2009, absolutely sucks. its freezes for a few seconds ever minuet or so, and the plot window never stays in the same place from the time I select the window area to plot, to the time I hit the print button, the window shifts on me.

There is something you can do. You can use the Windows Add/Remove option and remove Microvellum or use it's own uninstaller. Then you can download a copy of the Registry cleaner called RegClean (written by Microsoft employees) and clean your Registry.

Not sure why AC 2009 should be freezing. It may be an entirely different problem. I see you're running 3.25GB RAM. That's an odd number to say the least. What OS are you running? XP or Vista (and which version)?

Do your drawing files contain a lot of layer filters or scalelists?

There is something you can do. You can use the Windows Add/Remove option and remove Microvellum or use it's own uninstaller. Then you can download a copy of the Registry cleaner called RegClean (written by Microsoft employees) and clean your Registry.

Not sure why AC 2009 should be freezing. It may be an entirely different problem. I see you're running 3.25GB RAM. That's an odd number to say the least. What OS are you running? XP or Vista (and which version)?

Do your drawing files contain a lot of layer filters or scalelists?

Well Im not removing MV, I use it everday. regclean may not be a bad idea. How good is at not removing files you actually need. Because I used windows Live Onecare to clean the registery and it removed the Microvellum registery support files and I had to do a system restore so I can use MV again. Im using XP SP3. dont know why it says 3.25, I believe I have 4gb in the machine.

If you live by the sword then you must die by the sword. In this case, complaining about all the problems Microvellum has caused will do you no good since you use it everyday. Therefore you must get to the root of the problem.

RegClean does not remove files or programs. It is a utility strictly for cleaning the Registry. Since it originated with Microsoft it tends to be less aggressive that others such as Live OneCare.

Since you have 4GB in your computer, and you're running XP, have you editted the boot.ini file to run the 3GB switch, thus allowing you a little more latitude when working with large drawing files?

You did not answer the question re: layer filters and drawing scales. Both can cause problems.

quote=ReMark If you live by the sword then you must die by the sword. In this case, complaining about all the problems Microvellum has caused will do you no good since you use it everyday. Therefore you must get to the root of the problem. I was afraid of hearing that. Just hoping there is a few things that I can do to CAD to help support MV.

RegClean does not remove files or programs. It is a utility strictly for cleaning the Registry. Since it originated with Microsoft it tends to be less aggressive that others such as Live OneCare. Ill give it a shot.

Since you have 4GB in your computer, and you're running XP, have you editted the boot.ini file to run the 3GB switch, thus allowing you a little more latitude when working with large drawing files? No, I dont even know what that is or how to modify it. That seems like it would be a good idea, because my drawings are large. Everything I draw is in 3D.

You did not answer the question re: layer filters and drawing scales. Both can cause problems. Sry, Yes I do have a lot of unused layers. Microvellum uses alot of layers to create the drawings. Not sure if using purge will give me problems though.

I'm am surprised that MV is causing you so many problems given that it is made to work inside AutoCAD. Programs such as this tend to be integrated better due to demands put on the developers by AutoDesk.

Instructions for editting the boot.ini to recognize more than 3GB of physical RAM are available at the AutoDesk website. I caution you however to 1) keep a copy of the original boot.ini file and 2) double, then triple check the single line of text that must be added to the file. One error could prevent your computer from booting. I've been using this "trick" on my work computer for several months now without a problem. However, some people have experienced problems with their graphics card and find they have to go back to the original boot.ini file; not many but a few. You've been duly notified.

I would give the purge command a try.

Are you a member of the Microvellum community? I notice they have a forum.

I beg to differ with Styk's statement re: AutoCAD known to be buggy software. I 've loaded and run many releases of AutoCAD dating back to when he was still filling his diapers with strained peas without any problems.

Those old programs might have been more stable. You can differ with me all day long but 2009 has given me nothing but problems. I guess I should have said "AutoCAD 2009 is buggy software with my personal experience."

AutoCAD 2007 and 2008 was virtually rock solid for me, to back your statement. :)

Given the latitude (hardware and software-wise) a computer system can be configured under it is not unthinkable that any given piece of software, somewhere, somehow, on just one person's machine will run like crap. Now run that same piece of software alongside another or run a second program inside the first and the potential for problems just spikes. Here's one area where having so many choices has NOT benefitted us.

I don't run registry cleaners so can't comment on their usefulness

BUT

we had a spate of problems on this site recently with? - disappearing menus?, can't remember exactly - where all who suffered had recently cleaned the registry.

I'm sure a search here will find some threads

Utility programs can mess you up too. Norton Systemworks caused me a problem with AC 2007 when it got very aggressive with the Registry.

its freezes for a few seconds ever minuet or so, and the plot window never stays in the same place from the time I select the window area to plot, to the time I hit the print button, the window shifts on me.

Are you meaning the dialog window? The video card drivers may be behind that - you might look into if those are updated. There used to be some settings in AutoCAD that were intended to help certain memory situations MAXOBJMEM, TREEDEPTH, and TREEMAX maybe look into them if they are still available

Are you meaning the dialog window? The video card drivers may be behind that - you might look into if those are updated. There used to be some settings in AutoCAD that were intended to help certain memory situations MAXOBJMEM, TREEDEPTH, and TREEMAX maybe look into them if they are still available

No autocad would just freeze up. For example the most frequent freezes I get, When you hover over a command button, that button would highlight. when it highlights it would freeze up for about 10 seconds or so. other times It would freeze is when I switch visual styles or views. doing certain random commands would cause it to freeze for a a bit.