Local Fire Company Engine

CADken

Thanks!

you know... of all the things, I'm not sure how to increase the smoothness... can I do it in SketchUp easily or in KT?

Can be done in SU either one of two ways, depending on how they were drawn.

You can select the wheel and right-click and select "Smooth Soften Edges" or when you start to draw a circle in SU, after clicking on the circle icon, look at the bottom right corner. You will see "Sides" in the VCB (value control box). Default is 24 I think. Bump this up a bit, 48 or so. It will give circles a more rounded look.

SU-tires.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADken

• perry

• f700es

• Ritch7

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alrighty, I've been asked by a nieghboring department to model one of their apparatus and here is my go at a color render:

761Cab2.jpg

761Cab3.jpg

Here are some of the Clay renders:

76180Complete.jpg

76180CompleteRear.jpg

Looks sharp.

How many hours would you guess you've put into it so far? Just curious.

lol look at my previous post JYNX,

Ps. your display avatar reminds me of the lead singer in Nickelback

IM a rockstar baby

oh my lord this is brillance, how long in all cadken have you been working on this? im curious

Looks sharp.

How many hours would you guess you've put into it so far? Just curious.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

well, I posted the request for people to send me pictures of their apparatus (on another forum) and I received PM's back along with pictures within about an hour or so of posting...

I grabbed the very first one and started to create a model right away, here and there between actual work :D during the day...

After one day of about 2 hours of work I had modeled the cab (including the windshield, doors, handles, door handles and trim)... the follow day I modeled the rear of the engine and all the compartments, handles, trim, etc. and it took about an hour... later that night I took approx. 2 hours to finalize just the rough mock up of the engine.

I had 2 days break between due to a heavy work load and making sure I could create a bit of cushion to allow for more modeling time :D

Today I spend 2 hours creating some of the smaller features, cab lights, tailights and cleaning up my design and adding colors...

I'd say about 7 hours of work have been done to achieve this, 4 hours while at work adding little things here and there throughout the day and about 3 hours at home just messing around with ideas. Altho it's hard to judge since I'm doing a little here and there.

dude, ken, that biotch looks friggin' awesome. I am jealous.... lol, good freakin work mang. :)

TOTATLY FARE OUT FREAKING AWESOME OUTRAGEOUS DUDE HIPY KOOL SHIZLE

Well, it's not as hard as it looks... if you've had experience with 3Ds Max the concepts are somewhat similar and just require a "designer's eye" :D

I think, however that I have met my match:

This 1949 Chevy Pickup is becoming the bane of my Modeling existance!

OrangeEngineRear.jpg

All I can model is the rear... unfortunitely the cab and front end are going to require some extras skills I've been working on.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats really cool, keep up the good work! Im a fellow firefighter myself.

Thanks! always nice to have a few brother on board!

We're having HAZMAT Operations refreshers at our station tonight, we're looking to reach our goal of having 90% of our active members State Certified FF 1.

oh, by the way...

in case anyone would like to see all the apparatus I model, visit my site:

shoot me a PM

sorry, no direct link due to the mass amount of spam that comes across!

Newest Project:

ClayRenderBase3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

CADken, not related to your obvious skills with cad designing,though pertinent to the designs in this thread, what is the reason for the oversized, step-like front fender on the appliance? I ask from interest as they are not part of the U.K fire appliances we usually see.( In the U.K) It is so refreshing to see an end user (so to speak) working on a new and improved design. So often merchandise or equipment is designed by people who have no "hands on" experience of the end use. Your posts have shown your enthusiasm for the excercise alongside your designing ability, best regards Rob.

Well, it's not as hard as it looks... if you've had experience with 3Ds Max the concepts are somewhat similar and just require a "designer's eye" :D

I think, however that I have met my match:

This 1949 Chevy Pickup is becoming the bane of my Modeling existance!

OrangeEngineRear.jpg

All I can model is the rear... unfortunitely the cab and front end are going to require some extras skills I've been working on.

I just picked myself up off the floor. That is beautiful work! I can't believe sketchup can do this! And it's a free program...

CADken, not related to your obvious skills with cad designing,though pertinent to the designs in this thread, what is the reason for the oversized, step-like front fender on the appliance? I ask from interest as they are not part of the U.K fire appliances we usually see.( In the U.K) It is so refreshing to see an end user (so to speak) working on a new and improved design. So often merchandise or equipment is designed by people who have no "hands on" experience of the end use. Your posts have shown your enthusiasm for the excercise alongside your designing ability, best regards Rob.

Rob, the front "extended" fender on our apparatus contain extra equipment, some Engines have normal bumpers, and some have these custom bumpers that house extra hoses and tools for easy access.

The company I volunteer for has 3 of the 4 apparatus with these extended bumpers to house extra hoses, hooks, nozzles, and other misc items.

I just picked myself up off the floor. That is beautiful work! I can't believe sketchup can do this! And it's a free program...

well, the actual red portion of the drawing and the background is the real thing, the orange colored portion is a render of the rear of the engine photoshopped onto the actual picture.