Global Attribute Editor & Extractor

Lee Mac

I thought the Revision Number was stored in the Titleblock too? I just want to keep this program as generic as possible is all. :)

You created a drawing list but did not show CAD filename but titleblock name. This doesn't make sense and is not a drawing list at all, Lee.

You created a drawing list but did not show CAD filename but titleblock name. This doesn't make sense and is not a drawing list at all, Lee.

In the little experience that I have had in a drawing office, we had all information in the Titleblock (DWG No., Revision, DWG Title, Description etc) I'm not saying that this is perhaps the right way to do it, but just how I have experienced it....

But in any case, I have not engineered this program specifically to be a DWG list creater - it is engineered to extract/edit attributes, and the fact that it may be used to compile a DWG list is purely a bonus. But if it is useless for you, then don't use it.

Lee

In the little experience that I have had in a drawing office, we had all information in the Titleblock (DWG No., Revision, DWG Title, Description etc) I'm not saying that this is perhaps the right way to do it, but just how I have experienced it....

But in any case, I have not engineered this program specifically to be a DWG list creater - it is engineered to extract/edit attributes, and the fact that it may be used to compile a DWG list is purely a bonus. But if it is useless for you, then don't use it.

Lee

Hi Lee,

You are asking everyone " Your feedback, comments and suggestions are welcome" then "...if it is useless for you, then don't use it" ???

I am using ProjectWise to create Drawing list but your program (if can create a drawing list) will be a great bonus for anyone who has no ProjectWise for work due to it is totally a FREE program from you.

All your programs/help are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,

PP.

You are asking everyone " Your feedback, comments and suggestions are welcome" then "...if it is useless for you, then don't use it" ???

Phiphi, of course I welcome suggestions - but I don't feel it is reasonable to criticise the program because it doesn't exactly suit your needs as a DWG list creater, when that is not the main purpose of the program. I offer my programs because I like to write the code, I don't write the programs to suit a specific user's requests.

after all, everyone can change this program to suit exactly to his/her needs.

and of course, present modification here so we can all comment it, use it, not use it, make further modifications, etc. :)

after all, everyone can change this program to suit exactly to his/her needs.

and of course, present modification here so we can all comment it, use it, not use it, make further modifications, etc. :)

Actually, I would rather that modifications of the program were not posted here so as not to confuse matters.

Following the requests by Phiphi, I have updated the code in the first post to Version 2.6

This version includes an Options Dialog in which the user can specify in which format they would prefer the attributes to be written to Excel.

The attributes can be

• 'Grouped by Filename' in which blocks from each drawing are displayed under their respective filename.

• 'Grouped by Block' in which blocks from all drawings are grouped together under, and written to Excel.

• written in 'Drawing List Mode' in which all attribute tags are grouped together, and no block names are written. The filename from which the attributes were extracted is also written at the end of each row. In this mode, the program assumes that if the user is extracting from multiple blocks (multiple titleblocks for example), that all blocks have the same tag names.

Enjoy,

Lee

Following the requests by Phiphi, I have updated the code in the first post to Version 2.6

This version includes an Options Dialog in which the user can specify in which format they would prefer the attributes to be written to Excel.

The attributes can be

• 'Grouped by Filename' in which blocks from each drawing are displayed under their respective filename.

• 'Grouped by Block' in which blocks from all drawings are grouped together under, and written to Excel.

• written in 'Drawing List Mode' in which all attribute tags are grouped together, and no block names are written. The filename from which the attributes were extracted is also written at the end of each row. In this mode, the program assumes that if the user is extracting from multiple blocks (multiple titleblocks for example), that all blocks have the same tag names.

Enjoy,

Lee

Thanks a lot, Lee.

I note that all attribute's tagnames in the excel sheet are up to the order of every tagname in the attribute block. I don't know how to sort out these tagnames yet in oder to produce the excel sheet as we want. But I found out your DWGLST.LSP somewhere in the forum that created the spreadsheet as I setup in your LISP.

Here is the modified one of your LISP that working as my wish.

Lee, you are the Best!

Cheers,

PP.

DwgLst_v2_A3.lsp

Actually, I would rather that modifications of the program were not posted here so as not to confuse matters.

As long as the modified codes are labelled clearly as such, with added author, credit to you Lee, and date and what-nots, I don't see the problem with posting them on this forum.

like you have said yourself, this lisp that you have presented is generic and is intended to be that way - so niche-versions of it will and should come from other sources - with credits to you ofcourse.

Thanks a lot, Lee.

I note that all attribute's tagnames in the excel sheet are up to the order of every tagname in the attribute block. I don't know how to sort out these tagnames yet in oder to produce the excel sheet as we want. But I found out your DWGLST.LSP somewhere in the forum that created the spreadsheet as I setup in your LISP.

Here is the modified one of your LISP that working as my wish.

Lee, you are the Best!

Cheers,

PP.

Wow - I had completely forgotten that I had created that... it was so long ago... :)

After revising that code - I can see that the only realy advantage is that you have control over the order of how the attributes are written to the Excel file.

I think I shall probably leave the Global Attribute Extractor as is, and perhaps update that old code.

The Global Attribute Extractor is so good for me now. Thanks Lee. Cheers!

Excellent, I'm glad you like it - I've had a few further ideas, like adding an option to the tag dialog so that the user can manipulate the order that the tags are written to Excel, instead of just the order that they appear in the block (that could be the default).

I shall have to see if I can get around to it, when time permits.

Lee

Following the ideas in my last post, I have updated the first post with the new code, Version 2.7.

In this version, the user can control the order in which tags are written to Excel using the controls as displayed in the 'Choose Tags' interface. If no order is specified and the dialog displays 'All Tags', then the tags are written in the order they appear in the block definition.

As always, feedback and comments are welcome.

Lee

Thank a lot, Lee.

PP.

You're welcome Phiphi - the attribute order was the only advantage the old DWG List program had over this one, so I had to include it. :)

Lee