Argument in Dimensioning

bbankston

I'm in an argument in dimensioning with a coworker of mine about how to dimension drawings in AutoCAD. He's trying to tell me that you should have the least amount of intersection as possible between the drawing and the dimension lines. I moved the lines at the closest point and he still wasn't happy with it. I tried to tell him that the only way I could make the dimensions the way he wants it would mean that I would have to manually adjust each and every one to his liking. What do you guys/gals think?

See attachment.

H DOOR CALCULATIONS.pdf

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbankston

• Ryder76

• ReMark

• StevenMc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*side note: I learned AutoCAD on the job and have been working in it for over a year and a half now. I asked why he never mentioned anything before and he said that he just never thought to bring it up until now.

"...least amount of intersection as possible between the drawing and the dimension lines."

Not sure I follow you. Could you provide an example? You aren't crossing objects with your dimension lines are you?

Never mind. Why I did not see the PDF link I don't know. Refer to advice below. Everyone should have a copy of either French's book (Engineering Drawing) or Spencer's book (Basic Technical Drawing) on their reference library bookshelf.

Basic drafting principals teach you leave a space betwen the object and the dimension lines. I learned this from the old French and Verrick (SP?) text book on manual drafting.

I don't use the dimensioning tools in cad, so perhaps the others can shed some light on the settings in the tool.

The dimension lines you show in the PDF should not be touching the object lines. You can see how confusing it looks, even in color. What if you're plotting in black and white? It would be even more confusing. Also, when I cross dimension lines, I usually put a small break in one of the lines.

At least that's the way I was taught. Good luck with your argument.

Glenn

You could move the extention lines to the edges of the part and hope someone assumes where it is pointing, but that isn't drafting standard practice. Do you have a Technical Drafting Book or can you get one?

Another thing you might try is can you make the dim lines thinner - lineweight less, ctb file to print the color in a thinner lineweight?

I hope you won't take offense but there were some things I did see that could be changed to make the dims clearer/cleaner and one dim I didn't get. Sometimes when posting comments it is difficult to convey the intent behind the post. Anyway below is a list of comments I had about your drawing. I hope you will take them in the spirit they are given.

Your dims should not cross another dim line.

Z- crosses dim lines

SAPA leader - crosses dim lines

1/8" - crosses dim lines

--------------------------------------

I would move the 3/4 Ref. to be between the 7/16 and the 1/8. Also move the Z to the furthest point to the bottom.

I would also show the Glass Width and Rail Length notes differently - Either as notes in smaller text to an area away from the detail or in smaller text directly under the dim annotation (under the Z and under the Y)

Another thing is I don't get that Z is equal to X-2-7/16. I see that Z is equal to X-7/16 from looking at the diagram.

Ryder and others,

You've actually sided with the guy I'm having the argument with, which is fine. Thanks for your comments.

Z=X-2 x 7/16 there's a stile on the other side (not shown).

New PDF is attached. This is the version that I showed him before I wrote on this forum. He still had problems with the "clouded areas". That's when I told him that I would have to manually adjust the dim lines so that they don't cross over the drawing.

I kind of think he's making a mountain out of a mole hill, then again, I didn't go to school for this stuff.

*Note: I dimension in paperspace and make my drawings, of course, in model space.

H DOOR CALCULATIONS.pdf

i tend not to dimension in paperspace as my drawings on the job im on change alot and move around which is a hassle to move and change dimensions accordingly, also as things get added to my drawing, viewports change scale to fit things in. just my preference though i know others who dimension in paperspace.

sorry to go off the subject a little.

ReMark,

Thanks for the book suggestions. I found them both on Amazon for a very low price. I'll definitely purchase and read both.

StevenMc,

I've actually seen many drawings that are dimmed in model space that I get from other draftsmen. When I taught myself CAD the PDF book that comes with it specifically said to dimension in paperspace and yet this fight is a constant here on CADtutor.

yes i've noticed :)

as i said that was just my preference so no disrespect to your work.

they both have their ups and downs so its just how you learned or were taught in the end. same argument with notes on the drawing. just opinion

yes i've noticed :)

...same argument with notes on the drawing. just opinion

Are you referencing the topic? It's just opinion about how things should be dimensioned? That's how I felt.

Z=X-2 x 7/16 there's a stile on the other side (not shown). Then in that case I would state 2" on your callout of the stile and possibly clarify that in your Z definition. I'm assuming the Z dim is when the stile is flattened out?

New PDF is attached. This is the version that I showed him before I wrote on this forum. He still had problems with the "clouded areas". That's when I told him that I would have to manually adjust the dim lines so that they don't cross over the drawing. Yea I think you will - just draw a line the dictance you want from the part and drag the extention line to it to create the extention line offset.

I kind of think he's making a mountain out of a mole hill, then again, I didn't go to school for this stuff. The requirement of drafting to ANSI Standards isn't really a mountain out of a mole hill :wink: and as long as you are willing to learn to draft to the standard it will make you a better CAD operator and more valuable asset to any company. The books ReMark recommended are excellent and they will be valuable to you in your career. I have one of them and it is like a bible to me. The standards were created for a reason and following them will actually make your CAD work easier once you understand them.o:)

quote]

Regards,

Ryder76

True enough, ReMark & Ryder76.

In conclusion I guess you would both agree that the newest PDF that I attached earlier is the best way to dimension a drawing, yes? And that adjusting the dim lines in the clouded area would take more time and could possibly be inaccurate, correct?

I need to let my nemesis know this.

Thanks.

it sounded to me like it was better then the first but still could be improved, while it would take more time it would be more accurate and standard not more likely to be inaccurate, they can correct me if im wrong but thats what i got from what they said

How would I adjust these lines I have circled then? The only ways I know how would be to manually adjust by grabbing the node and pulling back (which could lead to inaccuracies in the dims) or setting the offset in the properties pallet for each dim line.

I pride myself on making quick and accurate drawings and to do either one of these options means spending a few seconds more on each and every dim line that "doesn't look right".

Also if your dim is too far away from the object then you're going to have guess work for the reader.

I hope this topic isn't getting bothersome I'm just trying to understand.

GREEN.jpg

it sounded to me like it was better then the first but still could be improved, while it would take more time it would be more accurate and standard not more likely to be inaccurate, they can correct me if im wrong but thats what i got from what they said

Yep - pretty much where you can accurately place/show the dimension and still have the extension line offset from the part/diagram lines that is the way to go. The 1/8" dim at the bottom is fine, the right side of 3/4" ref needs work as well as the extension lines on the top of the diagram (clouded ones and some that are not clouded).

There is alot to learn when drafting to ANSI standards, but ultimately it makes CAD work easier when you know what you are trying to convey with a high end drafting tool. I spent two years on the board at school and two more with a company after school. Have worked with and "read" drawings in multiple disciplines since 1987.

First time I was ever "exposed" to CAD, drawings, drafting and standards was in 1979 in a Civil engineering company. They used a Wang system. I wasn't into drafting then, but that is when I fell in love with it. Took me eleven years to get back to school to get my degree. Never looked back after that.:D

New PDF is attached. This is the version that I showed him before I wrote on this forum. He still had problems with the "clouded areas". That's when I told him that I would have to manually adjust the dim lines so that they don't cross over the drawing. Yea I think you will - just draw a line the dictance you want from the part and drag the extention line to it to create the extention line offset.

try ryders suggesetion, you shouldnt lose accuracy this way

Also if your dim is too far away from the object then you're going to have guess work for the reader.

I hope this topic isn't getting bothersome I'm just trying to understand.

I usually dimension with the extension line starting about 1/8" or less from the object. Again, this is a setting in the dimension tool I believe.

Too far away confuses what you're trying to dimension.

I hope I'm talking about what you are asking. Again the French and Verrick Engineering Drawings text book will have plenty of graphic examples.