• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• smorales02

• icadsales

• Ritch7

• 2 months later...
As a part-time mac user I must ask several questions...

1. Why? Why do you need a mac if you are going to be using AutoCAD? Is there some other mac only application that you use?

I Googled "AutoCAD for Mac" this morning after spending 10 minutes waiting for my PC to feel good enough about running that I can even open a drawing, let alone get Outlook up and running for 15 minutes before it decides to crash again. The Google search led me to this forum and I was hoping to find someone who has run ACAD on a Mac. Instead, everyone here is somehow enjoying their PC's??

Microsoft produces such crap, there's a reason everyone is looking for alternatives. I have a Macbook at home and I'm not a "artsy user", just a guy who likes the fact that I turn the computer on, 10 seconds later, it's ready to run and I can do whatever I need without major instruction. The stock battery lasts for three-hours because the fan(s) barely ever come on. It's an efficient piece of electrical machinery and simply the best piece of electronics I've ever purchased.

I run ACAD on a pretty fast and new XP machine without tons of crap running in the tray so don't accuse me of not knowing how to run my PC. Windows is crap and I can't wait until they get owned by Google or Mac or a combo of both.

Oh, hello and it's nice to meet you all. I'm not a bad guy, just cranky that I hate my computer and can't do anything about it. :reallymad:

Hey RB and welcome. I have no real issues with the mac I do have strong feeling against Steve Jobs and I also feel that Apple is a monopoly and should be dealt with as soon as possible before they get out of hand.

I actually have owned a few macs and I have an OSX box at home as well as an XP box. I like OSX, it's very nice. I don't like the $120 a year upgrade cost though. I also don't like the fact that Apple doesn't make a consumer tower. All-in-ones (iMacs) suck IMHO and with them you get suckered into Apple's forced hardware upgrades and not everyone needs a "Pro" tower.

Anyway, you can run AutoCAD on a mac through either VMware or BootCamp. You will just have to install either XP or Vista to do so. It will run just fine that way. I honestly haven't had a crash on XP in a year or 2. I leave my work machine up all week and my home PC is just as stable. I hate to hear someone having issues. If it crashes a lot it would seem to be either hardware or either a driver issue. Please stick around and join in! :)

I Googled "AutoCAD for Mac" this morning after spending 10 minutes waiting for my PC to feel good enough about running that I can even open a drawing, let alone get Outlook up and running for 15 minutes before it decides to crash again. The Google search led me to this forum and I was hoping to find someone who has run ACAD on a Mac. Instead, everyone here is somehow enjoying their PC's??

Microsoft produces such crap, there's a reason everyone is looking for alternatives. I have a Macbook at home and I'm not a "artsy user", just a guy who likes the fact that I turn the computer on, 10 seconds later, it's ready to run and I can do whatever I need without major instruction. The stock battery lasts for three-hours because the fan(s) barely ever come on. It's an efficient piece of electrical machinery and simply the best piece of electronics I've ever purchased.

I run ACAD on a pretty fast and new XP machine without tons of crap running in the tray so don't accuse me of not knowing how to run my PC. Windows is crap and I can't wait until they get owned by Google or Mac or a combo of both.

Oh, hello and it's nice to meet you all. I'm not a bad guy, just cranky that I hate my computer and can't do anything about it. :reallymad:

• 4 months later...

The newest parallels has both Direct X and Open GL so you can run AutoCAD right inside your OS X desktop. Screaming fast too, can't even tell you are running under a mac. Isnt necessary to dual boot any more.

See all the pieces required, user documentation and trial downloads of parallels, AutoCAD, windows at our website autocadformac dot com

Cost of mac > cost of pc

So in that respect, doesn't make sense !

Cost of Mac

Cost of Parallels

Cost of copy of Windows

added together :huh:

About the only solution if someone has a mac only application that they need or run a lot.

Now I have a OSX box at the house but I rarely fire it up anymore. I have a G4 Cube as well running OS9. Both all but gather dust :(

I would like to play with iLife and iWork.

cost of parallels = $79.99

cost of Windows Vista Home = $128.25

Less than the cost of a PC if you don't have one and a client requires you submit DWG files.

cost of project lost due to inability to

Makes sense if you use a Mac. The real cost, AutoCAD = $3995.00

But, if you were to purchase progeCAD IntelliCAD Standard = $375.00

cost of parallels = $79.99

cost of Windows Vista Home = $128.25

Less than the cost of a PC if you don't have one and a client requires you submit DWG files.

cost of project lost due to inability to

Makes sense if you use a Mac. The real cost, AutoCAD = $3995.00

But, if you were to purchase progeCAD IntelliCAD Standard = $375.00

I can't think of a single high-end CAD program on PC or mac that can't export DWG or atleast DXF.

I know for sure that PowerCADD (Mac only) can export DWG and DXF

HighDesign (mac only) can export dxf

Cheetah 3D (mac only) can export dxf. I have a copy of this one, very nice.

I guess I was looking at someone buying a "new" computer and looking at the start-up costs. Perhaps someone still coming from the PowerPC mac to a new Intel Mac. Anyway my point of view.

• 1 month later...
I can't think of a single high-end CAD program on PC or mac that can't export DWG or atleast DXF.

I know for sure that PowerCADD (Mac only) can export DWG and DXF

HighDesign (mac only) can export dxf

Cheetah 3D (mac only) can export dxf. I have a copy of this one, very nice.

I guess I was looking at someone buying a "new" computer and looking at the start-up costs. Perhaps someone still coming from the PowerPC mac to a new Intel Mac. Anyway my point of view.

Well I currently have an HP laptop running a student version of AutoCad LT and am looking seriously into the new MacBook Pro. AutoCad is the only thing holdimg me up from replacing my HP with a new Apple. I only use Autocad LT to look at drawings and print them out for my personal use. I have printed out drawings on occasion for customers but typically don't like too since the drawing will state student version on it.

Does any of these other mac cad programs allow me to open all dwg files, print them on occasion and possibly do a generic modification to the drawing and return it to one of my inside cad guys so that they can modify the original. They are accustomed to modifying the original since anything I currently modify is stamped student version if they reuse my drawing I sent them.