Help with choosing new laptop

musyas

What do you preferred, 32bit or 64bit AutoCAD 2009 ver.?

What type of Windows XP version should I use? SP2 or SP3?

Anyone here can give me some advice and guides to do,

so that my AutoCAD 2009 will meet the exact requirements.

Thanks in advance..

PS: my English is suck.. L

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Tankman

• CADMASTER1128

• Ryder76

I would prefer 64-bit but I'm using 32-bit because my company isn't about to buy me a new system. I'm currently using WinXP SP3 and have no plans to switch to Vista although I am holding out hope for Win7. If I were to get a new system, home or office, I might seriously consider going with the new OS after it has been out for three months (enough time for a couple of major updates to fix bugs).

What exact requirements are you seeking?

Don't worry about your English. Eventually we will get it all sorted out.

Actually Sir im planing to buy a laptop with the specs of Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0GHz, 3GB RAM, 512 VGA, and i dont have any idea what type of OS that i'll use, actually I choose Windows XP SP3 but there's a choices between 32BIT or 64BIT thingy. And in the AutoCAD 2009 installer to there is 32Bit and 64Bit. So these mean that i have to match the BIT thingy so that the OS and AutoCAD 2009 will meet the exact version, and as you said, you prefer 64Bit. i would choose the same as you, so from the very start if you used 64BIT OS you must used 64Bit AutoCAD too? Is this right?

According to Microsoft...

"The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions."

That means you can go beyond the 4GB max memory barrier that an OS like WinXP imposes. The more memory the more complex and larger your drawings can be without adversely affecting performance. Plan for the future not just for today.

I too would hold out for MS Windows 7.

I lack any experience with Vista and, don't feel like going there.

Current OS is Windows XP Pro SP3, works fine.

At sixty-two, I don't need a lot of new "stuff" as long as I can complete my projects accurately and on time.

Photoshop and rendering programs I'm sure would love the extra memory as well

as the faster processing speed.

It would be wise to wait for Windows 7 indeed. I regret getting vista, it lured me in with its shiny GUI and sidebar, but compatilbily wise it is still flawed. I think Ms will do what they did with 2000 or ME edition and skip this one and concentrate on 7.

I have had zero problems with Vista OS.

Same here. No problems at all. :)

I have renamed this thread to something a bit more appropriate. "Help!!!" is not a very descriptive title for a thread.

We have a computer at school using Windows 7 Beta (Build 7000)

We are running AutoCAD ADT 2004 on it and it runs nice. The only error we get is when we close it but after installing the service pack, that issue was fixed.

Windows 7 offers a nice feature of "pinning" your documents to the task bar so that way you don't have yo go searching. I currently have the RC (Release Candidate) version of Windows 7.

And I have no problems running Windows XP Pro SP3 but I am tempted to try out Win7 when and if I upgrade to a new computer. For what I have right now there is absolutely no reason to switch to Vista for Vista's sake. A waste of time, effort and most of all money.

And I have no problems running Windows XP Pro SP3 but I am tempted to try out Win7 when and if I upgrade to a new computer. For what I have right now there is absolutely no reason to switch to Vista for Vista's sake. A waste of time, effort and most of all money.

I am so glad HP sent my copy of Vista Free (as i was part of the free upgrade program) Vista was a waste of time and effort!

I am also in the market for a good laptop. I don't have alot of money to spare right now, but I want one that can run ACAD 2008 Electrical and Inventor 2008. I wouldn't mind WIFI to pick up emails and surf if I was out and about with it, but bascially I want to use it for the two software mentioned. I can wait, save more for something later. What you yal think?

I was looking at this one - Dell - Inspiron Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor. It has Vista on it and Works 9 - They want $399 at Best Buy.

Specs:

• Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core

2.16GHz

• WXGA widescreen LCD (1366 x 76) - 15.6"

Bus : 800MHz

Cache Memory

1MB on die Level 2

• System Memory (RAM)

3GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To

4GB

• Type of Memory (RAM)

DDR2 SoDIMM

Hard Drive Type

Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

• Hard Drive Size

160GB

Optical Drive

Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

• Optical Drive Speeds

Drive speeds not specified

Direct-Disc Labeling - No

• Digital Media Reader or Slots - Yes, digital media card reader

Graphics

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

• Video Memory

Up to 384MB (shared)

Personal Video Recorder (PVR) - No

• TV Tuner - No

MPEG - Yes

• Built-in Webcam - No

Modem - None

• Networking - Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network card

Wireless Networking - Wireless-B+G

• Bluetooth-Enabled - No

S-Video Outputs - None

• Audio - High-definition 2.0

Speakers - Built-in

• PCMCIA Slots

None

USB 2.0 Ports

• IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports

None

Parallel Ports

None

• Serial Ports

None

Game Ports

None

• Laptop Weight

Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)

Battery Type

Lithium-ion

• Battery Life

Up to 2 hours and 26 minutes

Pointing Device

Touchpad

• Operating System Platform

Windows

Operating System

Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1

• Included Software

Microsoft Works 9, Adobe Reader 9, Roxio Creator 10 Dell Edition

ENERGY STAR Qualified

No

I would pass on it. One thing I don't like is that the system relies upon an integrated graphics chip versus a real graphics card. When the chip can't handle the load it will steal resources from the installed memory. Your system will take a performance hit. Serious CAD users like serious gamers require serious equipment. Leave the toys for the girlie-boys.

I would pass on it. One thing I don't like is that the system relies upon an integrated graphics chip versus a real graphics card. When the chip can't handle the load it will steal resources from the installed memory. Your system will take a performance hit. Serious CAD users like serious gamers require serious equipment. Leave the toys for the girlie-boys.

For the girlie boys?

I agree, pass on that one. Avoid systems with shared memory (or any Intel video)!

If you have to get shared make sure it is at least an nVidia or ATi chipset

The Dell website advises that if you want fast and excellent graphics rendering that can minimize drain on system memory or CPU performance then choose a dedicated graphics card.

Thanks yal - my knowledge isn't as strong in the hardware end of things and it's been years since I bought a computer. I will save my money and get the high end laptop I really want. That way it will replace the desktop I already have and keep me supported for a longer period of time.

Yal are the best. When I'm ready to spend the money I will definitely be picking yal's brains again.:lol: