Truly at wit's end....again!

D-Zyne

Let's try to get back on track and avoid the Mac vs. PC debate for a moment.

In answer to my question regarding specific AutoCAD generated errors the response from the OP was "No error messages specific to CAD- the processor goes up to 100% and I just get the typical 'Not Responding' message in the task manager. It just locks up."

When did this problem first occur? Was it from day 1?

What are the complete system hardware specs? What programs are loaded on this computer other than the OS, anti-virus (Trend), email (Outlook?) and AutoCAD? What is the make/model of the graphics card? How much onboard vidRAM does it have?

No, I do not expect you to become a certified PC technician but I do expect you to be more self-reliant for your own good. Personally, I leave as little for the IT department to get involved with on my computer as possible and that starts with specing out a CAD system and not just a computer that could run CAD. I firmly believe there is a marked difference between the two.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Ritch7

• D-Zyne

• NBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly think that you have a bad install of XP or a bad piece of hardware (ram or video card). I have 44 running processes and I have been using this machine for 2 weeks and no lockups at all.

If you can, take a stick of ram out, start the machine and see how it does. If it runs fine, shut down and put it back in and take out the other and boot up and see how it does then. If it does OK see about getting another video card from another machine and seeing if this makes any difference at all. After this a "nuke and pave" of XP might be in order. XP is really a stable, secure OS and I think you have just been unluckly.

BTW Macs are not as wonderful as they like to think. If they were trouble free they would not need to have a "Genius Bar" at the stores to help trouble shoot users ;) OSX crashes just as easy as XP and Vista too. Both OSX and XP/Vista are good OS but they all have their own little qurks.

and yes I run them both.

Some small comfort. You are not alone. When I Googled the phrase "computer locks up for no reason" it came back with 7.22 million hits!

Some small comfort. You are not alone. When I Googled the phrase "computer locks up for no reason" it came back with 7.22 million hits!

holy cow that's alot of stress!:shock::lol:

I've read everyone's comments and taken into account those that are actually useful. Since most other users indicate relative stability, my machine is being wiped clean and completely rebuilt on Monday and we're increasing the RAM to 2G. I am claiming exclusivity to the machine (since it is an office machine, there have been other users on it) and only installing software I need.

As previously mentioned, I like AutoCAD and want to continue using it, so I'm burying my personal predjudices with MS for now and giving it another go with a fresh start.

Thanks for the input and further bulletins as events warrant....

Wiping the HD clean, increasing the RAM and claiming exclusivity (re: software) should make a difference that will be noticeable from the start. Just make sure that your OS in up-to-date and that you have loaded any necessary service packs / hotfixes for your version of AutoCAD. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Yes good luck and I hope that these steps make your work experience better. Nothing worse than not being able to get your work completed.

'Only 1GB RAM'?

Seriously? I'm not a computer genius by any means but I thought that would be plenty to run the stuff I do. My max file size is about 5M...

As far as I know, I'm updated. And yes, I do share drawings back and forth with others- but it's the day-to-day inconsistency that has me so frustrated.

My current machine is running WinXP and 4gig of RAM, a boot-drive of 250gig (only using 50 gig for operating system and program-files) and my video-card is a GeForce 8600GT (256mb Ram onboard) and gigabit network to connect to the drawing-network-share.

I haven't had a crash in my AutoCAD 2008 due to AutoCAD for a very long time and it was due to corrupted-files. My computer gets scanned and defrag'd regularly, I also run the latest antivirus protection.

You might want to verify that you have sufficient drive-space to work with (no more than half the drive full), sufficient ram / video-ram and if you are networking, that the network can keep up with the demands for file-transfers.

I am also the IT-guy at work, when I tell the boss that it is time to clear up computer problems, he hands me a blank-cheque and lets me goto town on the problems. Since I started here, computer frustrations have dropped to 0 from daily.

Well so far, so good...machine has fresh install of everything I use and RAM upgraded to 3.5G. Outlook crashed on me within 20 minutes but the only CAD troubles I've had so far were traced to a specific file that turned out to be corrupted.

Methinks I'll be looking for answers here from now on instead of the IT geniuses...