• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Ritch7

• D-Zyne

• NBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just be careful when killing a task you don't stop your system dead in it's tracks. One I would recommend not touching is svchost.exe.

Just be careful when killing a task you don't stop your system dead in it's tracks. One I would recommend not touching is svchost.exe.

To everyone reading this thread

to be honest i don't know if 47 is great amount of processes's i use 29 including cad and explorer what im using now! but how many does everyone have?

come on everyone let's join in and hold hands

You really need to look at Windows services. Follow this advice...

"To see the services that are on your computer go to Start|Run and enter “services.msc”. (As is characteristic of Windows, this is only one of several ways.) This will open what is called the “services console,” which will appear in a window like the figure below. To show the complete console you may need to open the “View” menu and click on “Detail”. The services console is where unneeded services can be stopped from running, thus freeing up resources. Also services that are intended for networked computers or specialized administrative functions may make your system less secure and can be disabled."

Where this came from...

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/taskman.htm

Click on more service here link part way down page.

You know it's funny I sometimes have to use a laptop with 512mb of RAM and it manages to work OK WITH IT LOL

computers have minds of there own I'm sure! haha

I'm leaning toward Ritch's and ReMark's direction, "The problem is with the PC not the AutoCAD program you're using."

NBC hits the nail on the head!

AutoCAD hasn't crashed on any of my four desktops or four laptops other than when I ran Norton's registry cleaner. I gave up on registry cleaners. Perhaps that problem arose when I had '05 and '07 on one system. I still do have both but, never use a registry cleaner, ever.

All are XP Pro SP3, most have 1G memory, two have 2G memory.

I would have a "pro" check the PC. :geek:

Not a neighbor who intends well.

na remark you can do it that way but msconfig is easier if u want a list and want to enable/disable/allow partially etc

go start-run and type in msconfig

Theres loads of stuff you can do from here.

na remark you can do it that way but msconfig is easier if u want a list and want to enable/disable/allow partially etc

go start-run and type in msconfig

Theres loads of stuff you can do from here.

sorry should of made it more clear go start -run - misconfig and then the Services tab, theirs the jackpot and you can see what services you have running and can allow/block etc. and also go on START UP tab!

hope this helps have a look at what you could get rid of!

Hmmm....I disagree. Services.msc provides greater detail. It will, for some services, tell you what will happen if you choose to disable a certain service.

I agree ReMark, I just checked mine. One thing that I will add is to set a new restore point before making change's to msconfig or services.msc.

45 for me with no problem with crashing.

35 running here, CPU usage is only 2%-4%.

1,500,000K available memory.

This desktop was in a closet, old.

I cleaned it up and began playin' after a few Canadian blended "shots."

One night, video card.

Another night, a few more Canuks, power supply.

Some more shots, a few days later, a second HDD.

On sale, along with more Canadian "stuff", a 36" refurbished LCD/TV with picture in picture, picture by picture.

Too must desktop real estate for the monitor.

A little Chivas on ice and presto, a wall mount, tilt 'n swivel.

I don't even want to start Chapter II, memory is failing, not the PC, mine. :twisted:

Pentium ® 4 - 2.66 GHz w/ 2GB Ram - XP Pro SP3

WhiskeyPC.jpg

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and technically savvy and I'd like to think I know more than your average Joe about computers...but I'm a CAD designer. I shouldn't HAVE to learn every single little background process or what 'ctfmon.exe' means anymore than a car driver should have to know how their electronic ignition works or what the compression ratio in their cylinders is. All I ask for is a machine that works properly, efficiently, and consistently and in the 20+ years I've been using computers, Microsoft has given me none of those qualities. I don't use PC by choice, I do it out of necessity as it is the marketshare holder in the corporate world.

I appreciate the assistance, guys, I really do and please forgive the rant; I didn't intend for this to become a Gates-bashing thread. But I am really tired of people justifying a crap system.

Hope I haven't just worn out my welcome....

Everyone is welcome here; but your attitude is very much that of an arrogant macophile.

Strange how nobody else has run into the problems you say you are having consistently; therefore I revert back to my initial post on this thread.

There is an old saying that goes, "a bad workman always blames his tools".

If the tools you have are not working to your desirability, make it your business to learn about them and how to configure them so that they run as optimally as possible.

Let's say you bought a car, and it started to misfire - would you blame the car and say it's a p.o.s. or would you do something about it ?

"arrogant macophile"

lol oh god NBC, this thread is going to be closed.

What did I do wrong ? o:)

I stated an opinion, and gave some advice.

Nothing wrong in that, surely ?

Everyone is welcome here; but your attitude is very much that of an arrogant macophile.

Strange how nobody else has run into the problems you say you are having consistently; therefore I revert back to my initial post on this thread.

There is an old saying that goes, "a bad workman always blames his tools".

If the tools you have are not working to your desirability, make it your business to learn about them and how to configure them so that they run as optimally as possible.

Let's say you bought a car, and it started to misfire - would you blame the car and say it's a p.o.s. or would you do something about it ?

I take issue with your claims, NBC...to say that I'm the only person that has problems with Windows is absolutely ludicrous! There are millions of people out there that feel the way I do...

However online forums are notorious for becoming virtual battlegrounds and I certainly don't want that to happen here so I'll let it go at that.

Now I concede that a big part of the problem is that I'm not receiving the support I require; to answer your question about the car, I would likely take it to a qualified mechanic that knew what he/she was doing...and obviously our IT department are NOT qualified mechanics! My rant was about the fact that THEY should know these things, not me- the end user.

I DID state in an earlier post that if others could convince me I was isolated in my problems, I would reconsider. Assuming it doesn't violate any rules, I'm going to print this thread out and show it to IT to illustrate that it likely is a problem specific to the machine and not the program (as they keep insisting).

But I assure you that getting me to say nice words about MS is a lost cause...truth is when I buy a car or anything else that doesn't work properly, the FIRST thing I would do is return it for a refund or a replacement that DOES work properly.

BTW, just to clear up any confusion....I don't KNOW that Mac is any better for CAD programs; I've only ever used it for audio applications.

I am asking for others input on it's reliability too...for all I know it could be just as bad.

My son has a MAC (fully loaded) desktop.

He prefers to use the Thinkpad™ laptop, XP Pro SP3, for most of his carrying on.

I enjoyed NBC's, "Blame the tools!"

To be fair MS has made it very easy for others to hose up your system unless you are vigilent about many different things.

To continue the car analogy, you buy the car, but the manufacturer includes eleven different aftermarket add ons, some of which actually do something, some of which just look like they do something. The dealer also provides a bunch of add ons, some of which do things, others don't, and some of which perform the same function as add ons that the mfr supplied. Some of them may even be incompatable.

You do your best to clean things up, eliminating the stuff you don't want or need and manage to drive away. But every time you park your car, someone tries to install a new device on your car. Some devices are usefull, others not. Some devices are required to park your car in that lot, sometimes you park in a lot that you think belongs to one business and only after you are there for a while do you discover that it is not the (trusted) business that you thought it was, and that they installed a device that you thought was ok but isn't.

And even if YOU manage to figure out what places you can park and be safe, if anyone else in the family or at work borrows the car for even a quick ride, they can do a lot of damage very quickly.

There are ways that you can protect yourself, but the first thing you need to do is dig in and figure out what does and doesn't need to be on the machine. Finding a mechanic who is knows what the large, powerfull and complex aftermarket device you have (AutoCAD) and how it works, is important. It sounds like you have mechanics who can change batteries, oil and maybe spark plugs.

My favorite protection device is a hosts file. Between that and SpyBot S&D my home machines don't usually have many problems.