Add a math formula to a dimension.

If you are going to show it one way, face of coupling to face of coupling, but indicate a dimension that is longer than what is depicted then shouldn't there be a break symbol in the dimension line?

Yes, I agree that there should be some sort of an indication of what the dimension modified this way mean. The way I made it is just the way SuperCAD asked it to look like. It can be changed at variable 'h' to whatever suits to whoever. Until we hear from SuperCAD, we know only bits and pieces of what's going on in their shop.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• SuperCAD

• paulmcz

• emwhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

i have the same issue as SuperCAD - i want autocad to do some calculations for me and note the result as a dimensions. I am working on curtain wall shop drawings and i have to do calculations for lengths of pressure plate and cap based on the length of back sections. the lengths of the back sections is what i get from my elevations and it's equal to DLO (day light opening), but then i have to give Pressure Plate lengths (DLO - 1/4") and Cap lengths (DLO - 1/32") to guys in the shop. So i am trying to figure out if i can add the pressure plate and cap dimensions as kinda "alternate units"

i have the same issue as SuperCAD - i want autocad to do some calculations for me and note the result as a dimensions. I am working on curtain wall shop drawings and i have to do calculations for lengths of pressure plate and cap based on the length of back sections. the lengths of the back sections is what i get from my elevations and it's equal to DLO (day light opening), but then i have to give Pressure Plate lengths (DLO - 1/4") and Cap lengths (DLO - 1/32") to guys in the shop. So i am trying to figure out if i can add the pressure plate and cap dimensions as kinda "alternate units"

Did you try the lisp routine I posted?

• 1 year later...

I know it's somewhere in the insert field but "how does it work?" it beats me lol ... you double click on the dimension, select the dimension within text formatting, then you right click on the actual dimension and select "insert field" and somehow you can add a formula ... google how to work "Insert field formulas" ... hope you get to fix it because I'm googling the same thing too lol

• 4 weeks later...
I read above post. I couldn't understand if it is applying that formula to all dimension lines or the only selected one?

If it is the former one, then it is a good solution.

Can anybody verify this point?

It appears the formula is only applying to one dimension at a time since you are using DDEDIT to modify the text of a dimension. I saw that you posted the same question on the Autodesk forums.

If you get an answer, please post it on here for all to see.

It appears the formula is only applying to one dimension at a time since you are using DDEDIT to modify the text of a dimension. I saw that you posted the same question on the Autodesk forums.

If you get an answer, please post it on here for all to see.

If I am going to do that for all dimension lines, what is the point with inserting the formula. Then it is not worth it.

I referred to Autodesk forum through the link you provided. I seldom check it. But now you remind me, I will check to see if there is a reply. Also I have to add that Autodesk forum is not a active one and I am not satisfied so I seldom visit. How about you?

Haven't been on site too much this year, travel, doin' stuff, just busy.

Ran across this post, interesting.

Might it simplify the problem if we have two drawings? First drawing "whatever", second drawing, SHOP DRAWING ONLY.

The file drawing could be scaled increasing the dimensions as req'd., saved as SHOP DRAWING ONLY.

The shop drawing would be for internal use only.

Just a quick thought. Comments welcome?

If I am going to do that for all dimension lines, what is the point with inserting the formula. Then it is not worth it.

I referred to Autodesk forum through the link you provided. I seldom check it. But now you remind me, I will check to see if there is a reply. Also I have to add that Autodesk forum is not a active one and I am not satisfied so I seldom visit. How about you?

It's probably not worth doing if you have to manually tweak each dimension. Copy and pasting the dimension may be a tad quicker though but no where near as fast as continuous dimensioning.

I've been a member there for a long time but rarely go on it unless a Google search brings me there.