PC requirements

jatin1990

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who run systems that barely meet recommended specs then complain vociferously about how slow their computer runs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• CADMASTER1128

• CadDan

• whitehaint

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who run systems that barely meet recommended specs then complain vociferously about how slow their computer runs.

My computer is running really good right now! The only time it was slow was when I was running Vista. :oops:

I have to plans to switch to Vista. I may, however, give Win7 a shot but that will only be when I get a new system.

Why do you plan to switch to vista? I would just wait to get Windows 7.

Ahhhh...the case of the missing word.

I have no plans to switch to Vista. Why? I think it is more hype than function. And, like others, I have XP set up so well there never really seemed to be any pressing reason to make the jump.

That said, I do find the max of 4GB of RAM a hinderance that I could live without. There are prices to be paid for remaining static. Right?

Ahhhh...the case of the missing word.

I have no plans to switch to Vista. Why? I think it is more hype than function. And, like others, I have XP set up so well there never really seemed to be any pressing reason to make the jump.

That said, I do find the max of 4GB of RAM a hinderance that I could live without. There are prices to be paid for remaining static. Right?

That 4 gig max is for the 32 bit version, but 64 has it's own problems.

I would wait for win 7, it should be out before the end of the year and it has a much better security setup that can be customized so it isn't full on or full off. With Vista, you spend a fair amount of time trying to find out if you have to run a program as admin, and then saying yes you do. It's bloated junk and if you can stick with XP do so until at least the first service pack comes out for win 7.

I love running Win XP. It runs real smooth fate and never slows down (unless when rendering).

I had thoughts of going to Apple, but why pay the money to have an OZ that CAD doesn't work on. I know Autodesk supports some versions on boot camp. But those computers are to expensive. I am going to keep my PC for a while.

Been running Vista 64 for about 6 months now. Autocad, 3DS Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, Painter, Vue, etc. Yes, it was annoying the first day while I was getting the security settings figured out, and it did take a little extra fiddling to get some programs to run correctly, but I have had zero problems ever since.

I will probably upgrade to Win7 after SP1 is released, if it lives up to the hype, but I'm not having any issues with Vista.

Been running Vista 64 for about 6 months now. Autocad, 3DS Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, Painter, Vue, etc. Yes, it was annoying the first day while I was getting the security settings figured out, and it did take a little extra fiddling to get some programs to run correctly, but I have had zero problems ever since.

I will probably upgrade to Win7 after SP1 is released, if it lives up to the hype, but I'm not having any issues with Vista.

That is surprising, I have heard of more troubles with 64 than 32 bit. I know I have issues occasionally but the security is the biggest issue. My BIL has been running release candidates of 7 and says it's a great system and he has pre-ordered it.

Windows 7 is Vista. The way it looks has had a change and the amount of power it needs to run has been cut but ultimately it is the same as vista.

I have been running the beta for a while and have not had a problem yet.

I too have read that Win7 is really Vista in disguise. I think I also read that they have toned down the security management features and increased the number of supported devices but really isn't much better than Vista speed-wise. I think a lot will depend on the hardware. A newer computer with a freshly loaded Win7 will run much better than an older computer running an upgrade version. We'll see.

How long has Win7 been in beta? Seems like a fairly long time. How does that time compare to Vista?

Is the "offical" release still slated for October 2009?

I too have read that Win7 is really Vista in disguise. I think I also read that they have toned down the security management features and increased the number of supported devices but really isn't much better than Vista speed-wise. I think a lot will depend on the hardware. A newer computer with a freshly loaded Win7 will run much better than an older computer running an upgrade version. We'll see.

How long has Win7 been in beta? Seems like a fairly long time. How does that time compare to Vista?

I got the Win 7 Beta back in March. The current Beta version which is the release candidate, expires June 2010. I do not know when the official release of it is. All I know is you may be able to expect Microsoft (MSFT) to take a spike in stock when it is released.

They will release Windows 7 on the 22nd of October.

I love running Win XP. It runs real smooth fate and never slows down (unless when rendering).

I had thoughts of going to Apple, but why pay the money to have an OZ that CAD doesn't work on. I know Autodesk supports some versions on boot camp. But those computers are to expensive. I am going to keep my PC for a while.

Yes the start-up costs kill that option.

More for the computer plus the price of Windows.

Having to dual boot to get true hardware performance as well.

The fact that Apple refuses to make a consumer tower shows that they have no desire to make an up-gradable system and relies on forced hardware upgrades to stay profitable.

Some of it is based on company IT people not know how to look up a piece of software and spec a system for it. God forbid they Google something :roll:

BTW I run ACAD2010 on my home system. It works but it is slow.

Intel P4 2.66 GHz

1 GB DDR

120 GB HDD

nVidia GF 6600GT 256 mb ram

Looking to upgrade this year, maybe. I think I will go back to AMD this year but not ATI.

An Intel P4 I see. That 1GB RAM is pretty weak (no offense). Could probably get better performance by adding some more. What's the max the mobo will accept? What max memory speed is supported?

Yes the start-up costs kill that option.

More for the computer plus the price of Windows.

Having to dual boot to get true hardware performance as well.

The fact that Apple refuses to make a consumer tower shows that they have no desire to make an up-gradable system and relies on forced hardware upgrades to stay profitable.

This is just my guess but the thier new OS Snow Leoperd coming out (which allows thrids Party API's). Autodesk may consider moving AutoCAD (2011) to the new platform. Yes it will cause extra work for Autodesk, but in the long run, they may have more, and even happier users. The only reason I stay on window is because of the fact that use CAD and CAD isn't supported on MAC OS X. I sure wish is was like R12 (i think was supported an MAC).

They will release Windows 7 on the 22nd of October.

So then why have the Beta Expire so late in the year?

Unless windows wants to give users a chance to gather data and revert back to the pervious OS, or allow users to purchase Windows 7.