In Need Of A Laptop =]

TryingThingsOut

There is also a Windows XP, 64bit released. Go for a 64bit Windows, either Vista or XP. Problem is, sometimes a lot of Laptops are bundled with Vista, although for me I really prefer XP coz of its low operating use of RAM.

Additionally, Specify that you want the RAM to be Upgradable to 8GB, and if possible, make it DDR3.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TryingThingsOut

• ReMark

• nocturne00

• chelsea1307

Back up the horses.

I thought this was supposed to be a sub-$1000 computer for a limited time use (a year or so). The OP should configure the system to get the most for his money. Now we're suggesting going 64-bit and maxing out the RAM? He isn't going to have any money leftover for a decent graphics chip or card. BTW, wouldn't it be almost a given, that at this price point, an integrated graphics chip will be most likely what he will end up with?

Maybe I missed something here. I'll have to go back and reread all the posts.

Just my humble opinion. I'm not trying to start a debate. :)

:D just bein prudent. I was only suggesting the the RAM be expandable if ever the OP wanted to upgrade its RAM to 6GB or 8GB in the future. Potentially, latops w/ fixed RAM easily become obsolete.

...then again, I sort of missed the 1 year or so use. ^^

Intel Core2Duo @ 2GHz

4 GB RAM

Nvidia Graphic Card (8 - 9 series)

Windows XP

32bit

1024 resolution minumum

Awesome. Now All I need to figure out is what 8-9 series Graphic card and I'll be on my way:lol:

That should be 1024x768 minimum. It will all depend on the graphics chip or card you select. Manufacturer's of laptops do not provide many choices when it comes to graphics especially in the lower price ranges. It may be you'll have no choice at all. Remember that a system with integrated graphics when overworked will start borrowing resources. That's one reason to get the RAM above the minimum specified to run the software.

Guys, thank you so much for your help!

I'll be email them shortly to find out the final price.

This is what came out so far:

Intel Core2Duo @ 2GHz

32Bit

4 GB RAM

Nvidia Graphic Card (8 - 9 series)

Windows XP

WXGA screen (Native Resolution @ 1280x800)

Now I just need to give them a bit more specific graphic card.

I'm on this site right now:http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html

And looking at different graphic cards, since you told me to look at 8-9 series I have the options of:

Between GeFore 8400 GS (1x Reletive Graphics Performance) to GeFore GTS 250 (15x Reletive Graphic Peformance). Then when I click on it, I getlike.. 50 other cards to choose from.

Is this a Custom Built laptop you'll be ordering? No Model or maker?

I really don't know how to answer it.

I mean it'll still have the "DELL" or the "HP" logo on it (or whatever) but inside the laptop it won't be the specs that come with that model. I'm ... 90% positive it'll cost me a bit cheaper, but... we'll see (Its friends business, so we'll see)

I just need to know which Graphic Card to choose from, there is so many of them:unsure:

This friend of yours must be really good w/ Laptop hardwares. compared to Desktops, its very hard to match laptop hardwares, especially the MOBO with GPU, some GPU's are soldered directly at the MOBO so there's no easy plug in replacement, some can just be plugged. but anyway, give us a feedback if you've got yours assembled.

Cheers

Yeah man, fingers crossed.

I'm just having a little trouble finding the Graphic Card

I mean the latest 8 series is like... $104, which is pretty good in price. But is it good in performance?

have you tried checking out technical reviews from the net? but if its the latest im sure there's no problem. a bit pricey though huh

Well I sent it out

Laptop

Intel Core2Duo @ 2GHz

32Bit

4 GB RAM

GeForce 9800 GT

Windows XP

WXGA screen (Native Resolution @ 1280x800)

Now waiting for a reply or phone call:P

EDIT: Who wants to try and guess how much it'll cost?