Colouring 3d objects

dinarele

Hi,

i'm totally new to 3d modeling and autocad help doesn't help that much. I have the problem with hatching the objec and applying the material. I selected the material, so it would look like a stone, but i can't get the look to apear on screen. Could you tell me the simplest way to do it? Probably it is very simple, but i just can't figure how:) thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• dinarele

• Patrick Hughes

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

You should consider renaming your thread to Applying materials to 3D objects as I think it better describes what you are trying to accomplish.

You have loaded the material (stone). Click once on this material and at the Select Objects prompt you should pick the edge of the 3D model.

Another option is to assign your material to a layer. Everything drawn on that layer will automatically have the material you selected applied to it.

Yep, i've tried to apply it to the face, but it doesn't show up. Or does it mean that it is already applied but I need to activate some setting to be abble to see it the object?

Have you checked AutoCAD Help > Materials > Applying? Read Apply materials to objects and faces on the Concept tab then check out the options on the Procedure tab.

I've applied material to the layer, but the objects on that layer just changed the colour slightly. I created the material which would have different shades to look like rough texture, but all I get is grey colour on one face and some yellowish on the other. can't figure it out, how can I make the object look like in the preview window in the material box. And how to print it afterwords with all colours but without hidden lines

Using 2009 I did a simple test. I drew a rectangle using the 3Dface command then applied a cobblestone-glazed-multicolored material to it. The layer I was working on had the color red assigned to it and that's about all I could see in Conceptual View until I rendered it. At that point the cobblestone showed up nice and clear. I'm not sure, at the moment, what you are doing differently than me.

Maybe it's some kind of action sequence.

I opened the 3d view. drew up 2d surface and extruded it. The same i did with other units and then i joint some of them to one unit.

Maybe it's a scale?

Or maybe some properties are not right? So, when i open propertie box i get this:

3d solid (on top)

color - by layer

linetype - by layer

linetypescale - 1

plot style - by color

lineweight - by layer

material - by layer

shadow display - casts and receives shadows

solid type - extrusion

height - 0.325

taper angle - 0

direction x - 0

direction y - 0

direction z - -0.325

I'm still trying to recreate your problem but I can't.

In my second test drawing I created a layer and assigned the color red to it. Using the materialattach command I attached the same material I used in the first drawing (cobblestone....). I a box using four regular lines (not polylines) then extruded this object vertically. I switched to Conceptual view and the four sides of the box all looked red (no cobblestone material to be seen) then rendered it. Lo and behold, there were my cobblestones on all four sides.

Can you post an image of your object? I'd like to see what you're working on just out of curiousity. What is the exact material you are using?

I suppose... I went to tools - pallettes - create new material and i set up all the properties for it. Type - realistic, template - stone... etc.

So this is not a standard AutoCAD material but one that you created. I see. Maybe there is something wrong in the way it was created and not in the way you applied it. That is simple to test. Delete the custom material and use one of the standard materials in its place. Now what happens?

Pardon the intrusion, does the visual style actually "render" the material you've applied in the newer versions? I'm running r14 so I'm way behind on this but to see a material don't you have to perform a render?