ACAD 2010....and that Ribbon

Currahee

At first I couldnt stand that ribbon...but I really have come to like it.

I forgot who it was that said it...but they said...learn to love it...and I have...its pretty cool. I still can hide it and I can still customize my toolbars and what not but still have everything right there without having to go to pulldown menu's.

One way or another we are going to have to deal with it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• tzframpton

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

And make it go away! :P

I love that button that lets me minimize it

I am a big open space/2monitor guy....so when it first come out I wanted to scream

I've been forced to use the Ribbon in MS Office 2007 and I can't understand who thinks this is easier.

More thoughts here:

http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2009/09/09/ribbon-acceptance-in-autocad-and-revit/

That is a very good rant....if it werent for the ability to customize my own toolbars(and that in it self is too much work with this new model)...I would absolutely hate it. But what I do like about it it can be made to disappear. I dont like the fact that I have to change profile in order to get to my old drop down menu(in order to get to the toolbar customization. I dont like the fact it wants to dock everything(seeing as I keep everything on the other screen.

I havent figured out yet how to start it without the ribbon popping up before I minimize it....

I do like the new parametric and annotation features(nothing having to do with the ribbon)

I do HATE THE FACT THAT MY DASHBOARD IS GONE....bummer...

That is a little of my rant....but other than that....if I have to live with it..it aint bad. I think the small program upgrades were worth it.....I just wish they give us more advanced user more control.

Just give me one row of pull-down menus, one row of toolbars under that, command line at the bottom with 5 lines visible, and the rest should be drawing area. Anything else such as palettes can go on the second monitor.

Just give me one row of pull-down menus, one row of toolbars under that, command line at the bottom with 5 lines visible, and the rest should be drawing area. Anything else such as palettes can go on the second monitor.

I agree with you except for the 5 lines...I prefer 3 and a F2 button if I need it

I think im one of the few in the other boat, could be that I only used 2005 and 2008 four about a month before upgrading to 2009, so its what im used to. Ive gotten rid of all my custom toolbars and replaced them with custom ribbon panels, at first i didnt like how long it took my computer to go from one tab to another, but when i customized i moved everthing that i use often onto one tab (it ended up taking 2) the first is what i use most then the second is what i use alot. But i have to agree with RKMcswain on MS Office 2007 i hate thier ribbons, could be that i have used MS Office stuff for a long time before they came out with the ribbons that they make finding things that used to be easy take forever

Well at least Autodesk gave the user the ability to customize it.

Agreed, If you don't like the ribbon, Customise it or shut it off. IMHO everyone better start getting used to it, because more and more programs are coming out with ribbons as there standard interface. They take some getting used to, but they are user friendly once you get past the "Change" part, and just go to work. I don't mean to come off rude or load, :shock: but there's too many threads on the web about 'THE RIBBON' like it's a curse word. :)

Agreed, If you don't like the ribbon, Customise it or shut it off. IMHO everyone better start getting used to it, because more and more programs are coming out with ribbons as there standard interface. They take some getting used to, but they are user friendly once you get past the "Change" part, and just go to work. I don't mean to come off rude or load, :shock: but there's too many threads on the web about 'THE RIBBON' like it's a curse word. :)

Boy...I tell you....it started as a curse word...LOL

exact same setup, but 4 lines of Command Line. :)

Didn't know about that minimize button till now.

I'm still getting used to it though as I just started using 2010.

That extra bit of drawing space sure is nice on the 16:9 screen on my laptop.

I love that button that lets me minimize it

I am a big open space/2monitor guy....so when it first come out I wanted to scream

The first time when tabs and panels disappeared from the Ribbon I also did scream.