mouse vs. hand pain

dusko

Another factor that brings on the pains is the use of dual screens. The pointer has double the distance to travel.

I recently tried a Wireless Laser Mouse 7000, and by the end of the day, my hand was aching. One doesn't realise how much one picks up the mouse to reposition it. I manage to loose the pointer on occasions, and I have to wriggle the mouse and pick it up to move it, and wriggle it again to try and find the pointer again. The new mouse with its streamlined (?) shape is not so easy to pick up, and when you do, the balance is all wrong. :cry:

I have now reverted to my basic optical USB mouse. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• dusko

• Tiger

• Geoffers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One advantage to a digitizer and puck is that the screen pointing area on the tablet is rather small. For example, on my 11x11 tablet this area measures 3.75x3.25 yet I can cover the entire AutoCAD drawing without any problem using very little physical movement.

One advantage to a digitizer and puck is that the screen pointing area on the tablet is rather small. For example, on my 11x11 tablet this area measures 3.75x3.25 yet I can cover the entire AutoCAD drawing without any problem using very little physical movement.

I was remembering when I had a tablet, that you always knew where the crosshairs were. Can you set it up for working with two monitors?

I'm sure you could.

Funny. Everyone thinks two monitors is new technology when in fact I ran two monitors back in 1985. Graphics on a 21" color monitor and text on a 15" monochrome monitor (amber color). Of course, it took a $3,000 graphics card to do it!

But as i recall, the mouse pointer was confined to the graphics screen, the other screen was merely a DOS text screen. :(

it took a $3,000 graphics card to do it!

Was it a #9 card ?

I had a #9 Pepper card that let me do 2 monitors 1 was huge 200 pound 21" BNC RGB monitor attached to the #9 card and the other was a real Hercules Graphic card with a REAL IBM green Screen. All in a Blazing Fast * MHZ XT motherboard with an 8087 Math co A real winner for the time :) it was my Display machine at the first and only computer store I ever worked at. and when the store closed during the Hardware bust, the guy that owned the store couldn't make the last week payroll so I took the system inlue of my last paycheck and that was quite a system for a 19 year old kid :)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/166&cl=us,en

I love it to death, esp. when drafting and using laptops. Takes some getting used to, like my friends absolutely refuse to try, but I swear it's one of the most comfortable mouses I've ever used.

Oh wow - I'd love to give one of those a go (bet my hands are too small though :( )

is there a puck with a scroll wheel?

i have an older digi board that i've considered using, but i could never give up the ability of wheel zooming and mputtonpan.

:D well we are in same case, i also use that kind of mouse, but because i dont haveany choice coz our compny used it really, i decide to move my arm in front so that makes it relax... i hope it help...

is there a puck with a scroll wheel?

i have an older digi board that i've considered using, but i could never give up the ability of wheel zooming and mputtonpan.

I 'scrolled' in autocad 12 long before there was a scroll wheel

I defined 2 buttons

button1 z;2xp;

button2 z;.5xp;

I loved my digi board but no longer use it. It was hard enough to learn how to use autocad again because almost nobody has a digi board anymore.

Actually, the digi board was only a small problem. The main problem was that I became too use to my macros that I have written around my style of drawing.

I was amazingly slow and clumbsy drawing with stock standard autocad that many of my clients had. I was almost useless untill I customized it

I still miss my 16 button puck :cry:

:D well we are in same case, i also use that kind of mouse, but because i dont haveany choice coz our compny used it really, i decide to move my arm in front so that makes it relax... i hope it help...

i started to squeeze one of those sponge ball with my mouse fist every time i feel pain (approximately 15min a day).

try it, think it'll help.

• 2 weeks later...

good day to everyone :)

ok, this g9 mouse is very good mouse.

ergonomic is almost perfect, weight almost ideal - epilogue - no pain!

only 2 things are not good:

1. scroll button is hard to press so for a start i don't have a filling how hard i have to push it and if i am in hurry (or i am not concentrated on this) i often push left-right scroll (it is very soft against middle button - PAN button) and this is very vex therefore i decide to shut off left-right scroll for now. maybe i'll move PAN function on some other button so i could use scroll for DELETE or something.

2. cable is too rigid

there are 3 generic buttons for macros (i heard that there are some customization problem with AC and mouse software for macros but for basic macros (commands like delete, move...) everything is ok).

basically i am satisfied.

i am novice in blender 3d modeling but i'm sure that this mouse is pretty cool for various profile customizations.

Only way I got my Kervain's tendinitis to improve was by using a Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000.

Very ergonomic and lightweight

Sorry I don´t have enough posts to place a link here but google is your friend :D

i started to squeeze one of those sponge ball with my mouse fist every time i feel pain (approximately 15min a day).

try it, think it'll help.

I couldn't agree more. This will do many times more than buying another mouse.

I don't think the mouse is the problem. The problem is repetive movement. Another mouse will temporarily fix this simply because it is different.

If your thumb hurts squeeze a ball. If your mouse shoulder hurts (mine did) exercise your shoulder with yoga or pilates

Change your chair height/screen height. The pain comes from, 'nothing ever changes'

Wrist support will help. What will help even more is to use the support them sometimes go without it. The trick is to reduce the repeditivity. That can be as important (sometimes more) than reducing the movement

This is a very popular thread and many have or have had mouse pain

I think input from a physio theropist should be put of the FAQ

• 7 months later...