Text is skewed to dimension lines

lenmac

I am drawing in AutoCAD 2000 LT and have created a centreline plot of a highway structure using World coordinates. I then zoom in to specific Work Points to create the individual components. In Model space, I select Tools, New UCS, Object and then select the axis perpendicular to the centreline as the new UCS. I type PLAN and the Model reorients to horizontal. All of my drawing looks great until I attempt to plot it in Layout. The text all looks geat in Model space and in Paper space, UNITL I try to Plot the drawing (either to the plotter or to Preview), then the text skews off of the dimension lines. The only way I can get the text to line up with the drawing is to set the UCS to something other than horizontal.

I have attached three samples of the same drawing. Sample 1 is plotted using the desired UCS - object horizontal to the paper. The text all prints skewed to the dimension lines:x.

Samples 2 and 3 are plotted with a UCS a few degrees either side of horizontal. Magically, the text all lines up with the deminsion lines! What am I doing wrong?

Pier 5 sample 1.pdf

Pier 5 sample 2.pdf

Pier 5 sample 3.pdf

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GE13579

• lenmac

• NBC

• davebate

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a feeling that the Text Style is using an annotative scaling feature; part of which contains the function to have the text to match the orientation to layout.

Investigate it further by using STYLE

NBC:

On the Text Style pop-up screen, there are two selections: Font, where I can change the font (set to Standard which is Arial), font style (regular, bold or italic), and height (default set to 0.000) of the text; and Effects, with check boxes labelled Upside Down, Backwards, and Width Factor (default set to 1.000) & Obliquing Angle (default set to 0). Perhaps ACAD LT does not have an annotative scaling feature(??)

Lenmac, NBC's confirmed that wasn't available in 2000. Can you minimise the drawing to just a dimension and post it so we can have a look?

GE13579:

I've been trying to get the drawing to a size that will post (deleted everything but one dimension line, purged all layers, fonts, etc. still over 800Kb ???! I don't know what information gets tagged on to ACAD files but they just keep growing) I have attached another simple drawing with the same problem. I inserted a dimension line and over-wrote the text with a long string of characters to enhance and demonstrate the problem. In Layout view, I changed the UCS to a random angle. It still looks fine until I try to plot the drawing, either to Preview or the Plotter. Have a look....

Pier 6 Caissons x.dwg

GE13579:

I can't figure out how you got this to plot correctly to a pdf file(???) At first, I thought perhaps it might be as simple as a bad printer driver. However, I tried to print it to a pdf creator and got the same result - looks fine in the Layout but skewed text in the Full Preview and the Plot.

I tried turning off the "text inside align" and this skewed the text even in Model space, even though the UCS was set to World. The mystery deepens....

All I can think is it must be something to do with local settings (?).

Is the problem the same with any drawing?

BTW I needed Text inside align turned on- when I turned it off it skewed.