help with a survey

eldiego18

I have this survey 2d .dwg file and there are lots of points with hights writen next to them, anybody know an easy way to create a 3d terrain out of that, or contour lines maybe?

im a user of autocad, but im trying civil 2010 but im new on it. here im attaching an image of the file so you can have a better idea of what im talking about. i think the points are just blocks, if anyone can help would be much apreciate it.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanjt

• eldiego18

• lpseifert

• ScribbleJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are using plain AutoCAD, no easy way (built-in) to create a surface or contours. Alanjt is using Civil 3D it appears.

-Do you really need a surface/contours? Looks pretty flat, other than the stairs.

-you could calculate contours manually.

-you coud use free program, "site topo". It will be a bit of work to select points for inclusion, create breaklines, etc. But better than manual.

If you are using plain AutoCAD, no easy way (built-in) to create a surface or contours. Alanjt is using Civil 3D it appears.

-Do you really need a surface/contours? Looks pretty flat, other than the stairs.

-you could calculate contours manually.

-you coud use free program, "site topo". It will be a bit of work to select points for inclusion, create breaklines, etc. But better than manual.

He has Civil 3d.

If the points do not have an actual Z value to them then your not going to be able to use them to create a surface.

Very true. Post an example.

Civil 3D will also convert a lot of objects to points.

Example as requested. Notice the elevation encompassed in red. That would be an actual Z value. If it said 0.00 then you would have a Z value that cannot be used to create a surface with. Likewise, if blocks have a Z value in the properties of 0 the same would be true.

Pt-Ex.jpg

Example as requested. Notice the elevation encompassed in red. That would be an actual Z value. If it said 0.00 then you would have a Z value that cannot be used to create a surface with. Likewise, if blocks have a Z value in the properties of 0 the same would be true.

Oops, I meant for eldiego18 to post an example. I know what c3d points are like.

Oops, I meant for eldiego18 to post an example. I know what c3d points are like.

LMAO

:shock:

I thought you meant an example for eldiego18. :oops: Wowzers... talk about misunderstanding mishaps!

LMAO

:shock:

I thought you meant an example for eldiego18. :oops: Wowzers... talk about misunderstanding mishaps!

LoL

Talk about communication breakdown. :lol:

where did the drawing originally come from?

was it originally produced on survey software and has it been FLATTENED in AutoCAD?

Before spending a lot of time trying to make it useable for your needs, I'd check there isn't a 3D version available somewhere!

thanks guys, yeah i know about points in civil 3d, just figured it would be an easy way to convert those 2d points from autocad to points in civil3d (with a z value)

i zoomed in my image so you guys see the points the actuall full terrain is a lot more abrupt.

any other simple ideas ( even not including civil 3d? what i need finally is a 3d terrain but a surface/mesh or contour lines would do)

Looking at the drawing, I would say that it has never been drawn in 3D. The curves are too sweet!

The only way to make it into a 3D model is by hard work helped by a lisp routine or two to help with the repetitive jobs :cry:

I don't know of any short cuts for turning a 2D survey drawing into a 3D ground model, using only the information in the drawing.

If the points don't have Z values, this may help (kinda bucolic, no error checking)

;Matches elevation of source text to selected entity, changes color to green; by LPS 2007

(defun c:cet (/ ed el ent)
   (command "UCS" "W")
   (setq ed (entget (car (nentsel "\nPick elevation text: ")))
           el (atof (cdr (assoc 1 ed)))
         ent (car(entsel "\nPick entity to change elevation: "))
    );setq
      (command "change" ent "" "p" "e" el "")
      (command "change" ent "" "p" "c" 3 "")
      (command "UCS" "P")
 (princ)
);defun

To go along with lpseifert, I wrote this not long ago to help me elevate a bunch of flat contours, based on only having a piece of text with the elevation. It's still a little cumbersome, but it save me a lot of time.

;;; Change polyline eleation based on selected text or entered elevation
;;; Alan J. Thompson, 10.01.09
(defun c:EE (/ #SSList #Elev)
 (and
   (setq #SSList (AT:SS->List (ssget ":L" '((0 . "*POLYLINE,TEXT"))) T))
   (foreach x #SSList
     (if (vlax-property-available-p x 'TextString)
       (setq #Elev (atof (vla-get-textstring x)))
     ) ;_ if
     T
   ) ;_ foreach
   (or #Elev (setq #Elev (getreal "\nElevation: ")))
   (foreach x #SSList
     (if (vlax-property-available-p x 'Elevation)
       (progn
         (vla-put-elevation x #Elev)
         (vla-put-color x 3)
         [color=Red](vl-cmdf "_.hideobjects" (vlax-vla-object->ename x) "")[/color]
       ) ;_ progn
     ) ;_ if
   ) ;_ foreach
 ) ;_ and
 (princ)
) ;_ defun

Comment out the portion in read if you don't want them to dissapear (temporarily) or don't have Civil 3D.

You'll need this subroutine: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showpost.php?p=271390&postcount=27

thanks guys but this is chineese, is that a civil 3d script? i use autocad, but not that familiar with civil 3d i have it and been trying to figured it out, but so far not that much luck, i was trying to poste the actuall dwg file but size limitations dont let me do it, if i can get an email i could...