Help..PC Slow...Need Benchmark Test for my 2010

Currahee

Hey guys...ever since I went from 2007 to 2010 my pc is running slow as crap when I am solid modeling (not rendering....God help me if I was). My task manager is telling me I am only using 1 gig of the 4 gigs of memory I have installed. So, I am thinking maybe it is my video performance that is slowing me down.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know where to find a benchmark test so I can isolate this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with 2010?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• ReMark

• mrbucket

• Tankman

BDesign, This is a link to a book from an old professor of mine Dan Abbott, the man is a genius, it has a script file to perform bench tests. DO A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR BENCH TEST SCRIPT AND DAN ABBOTT

I'll try to find the file if this is something that might work for you?

You're the second person I have encountered that complained of slow performance with 2010. Then again there were lots of similar complaints with 2009 too. My guess is that most of them were hardware related. Only a guess though.

You're the second person I have encountered that complained of slow performance with 2010. Then again there were lots of similar complaints with 2009 too. My guess is that most of them were hardware related. Only a guess though.

The funny thing is I can pull up the same drawing in 07 and it runs fine.

And the other person could pull up their same drawing in 08 and it ran fine. Do I see a trend here?

Sounds like there is a trend, newer versions of AutoCAD run slower.

Better hardware spec's seem to be the answer of the day.

Video, memory, faster hard drives, all in order!

'07 and earlier run fine on my older workstations and laptops.

Luckily, I only "dabble" in 2D, plan and elevation views.

I shutter to think of 3D and rendering. New equipment would perhaps be the order of the day.

Sounds like there is a trend, newer versions of AutoCAD run slower.

Better hardware spec's seem to be the answer of the day.

Video, memory, faster hard drives, all in order!

'07 and earlier run fine on my older workstations and laptops.

Luckily, I only "dabble" in 2D, plan and elevation views.

I shutter to think of 3D and rendering. New equipment would perhaps be the order of the day.

I built my CAD station only a year ago with a dual-core CPU and as much memory as the 32 bit system would allow and a "fair" (in CAD standards) video card w/512 memory

BDesign your workstation sounds excellent. I use 'bout the same under M$ Windows XP Pro. Runs '05 & '07 and never misses a beat.

In these forums as well as others, I read the same, "Slow, newer releases of AutoCAD." Perhaps too much built in, too much that we may never use.

As mentioned earlier, I'm lucky using only 2D. I don't need 3D or rendering.

Perhaps that's the reason I don't need to upgrade equipment or AutoCAD.

BDesign your workstation sounds excellent. I use 'bout the same under M$ Windows XP Pro. Runs '05 & '07 and never misses a beat.

In these forums as well as others, I read the same, "Slow, newer releases of AutoCAD." Perhaps too much built in, too much that we may never use.

As mentioned earlier, I'm lucky using only 2D. I don't need 3D or rendering.

Perhaps that's the reason I don't need to upgrade equipment or AutoCAD.

yea...it just baffles me...I just pulled a drawing I was working on up in 07 and it jets around.....I guess I will just leave the 2010 to 2d or just wait it out all together until I build my "SUPER PC"...LOL...which it really doesnt matter either way...there really isnt much difference betwenn the two besides the dashboard and the ribbon. And since I run 2010 in "classic" mode anyway.....

• 1 month later...

I have had this problem myself. After wasting months on support calls I worked out how to fix the problem myself.

My problem I found was the templates that I was using they were created in ACAD 2009 and migrated to 2010 this was a dismal failure!

So created new templates by modifying the standard out of the box templates that come with 2010, this has restored my performance to 2007 levels. Hope this helps

I have also noticed this at times, but mainly with numerous hatches on any one file. The hatch boundary grip edit kicks butt, but I think it draws alot of data at times when being used extensively with radius' and multiple layered.

I have also noticed this at times, but mainly with numerous hatches on any one file. The hatch boundary grip edit kicks butt, but I think it draws alot of data at times when being used extensively with radius' and multiple layered.

Mr Bucket...have you had any issues running 2010 with the new operating system

Mr Bucket...have you had any issues running 2010 with the new operating system

We have a multi-seat license at work for 2010 and 2009. I have 2010 on my home pc that runs the specs to the left. My workstation in office is an older dell precision dual xeon with xp pro. Hatches with the boundary edit grips are the only issue. My home pc has 0 issues with win 7.

We have a multi-seat license at work for 2010 and 2009. I have 2010 on my home pc that runs the specs to the left. My workstation in office is an older dell precision dual xeon with xp pro. Hatches with the boundary edit grips are the only issue. My home pc has 0 issues with win 7.

I guess that will be the new selling point with Autodesk next year..."works with Windows 7" instead of offering pathes for us poor folks that cant afford new software every year that would enable us to upgrade windows and still use our old software...sorry for the rant

I guess that will be the new selling point with Autodesk next year..."works with Windows 7" instead of offering pathes for us poor folks that cant afford new software every year that would enable us to upgrade windows and still use our old software...sorry for the rant

That's what Windows Compatibility Mode is for (within reason).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows