Square Thread Trouble

Vent34

Hello to all you good people,

I could use some guidence with a project I am working on at the moment for college.

Basicly I have to create a square thread for my vice screw then constrain it to the thread on the vice and then animate the vice screw driving forward in the thread.

I have been informed that creating this screw in Autocad will not help as the screw thread on the vice has trouble recognising the screw with constraints.

First things first I guess, Can the knowledgable people on here advise me how to create a square thread in Inventor.

I have included a blueprint that I am working from to make things clear, Just incase I did not explain myself properly.

Any guidence on this one will be warmly welcomed, Thank you in advance.

lastscan.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vent34

• shift1313

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well it will depend on what you want to do with the model. Do you actually want to simulate the interaction between the threads or do you just want the model to rotate and move as if it were threading in. Both are doable. With the second way you dont actually need to draw the threads but you can.

Here is one i just did in IV11. i made the threads by using the coil function which is basically sweeping the profile on a helix(how you would do it in ACAD). The video starts with the threaded rod outside of the block just to show you that the threads arent needed.

th_acmethread.jpg

:o:? --Whoa--AMAZING-- :):D JUST THE TICKET SHIFT1313.

Will try that square screw thread, Then if I still struggle can you help further.

Kindest Regards.

haha thanks vent but its really very simple. Make an assembly from two parts. Have one be a nut and one a bolt. These can be simple with no threads on them. Make sure the bolt is grounded and the nut is free. Start a Dynamic Simulation and add a joint between the two. There is some graphical help when creating the joints. You dont have to make all the selections, just make sure that you select a round profile when creating the origin for each part and that the arrow hats match up. There will 1,2 and 3 arrow hats on each origin. Enter the thread pitch and there you go.

In the video i added a torque as well to drive the screw.

Just let me know if you need help

Hello,

can you please tell me what IV11 is ?

Also when the dynamic simulation is started and a joint is added between the Nut and Bolt will this create the thread ?.

I really do need the threads to appear so do i have to add them bfore i create the constraints and simulation.

Sorry for all the questions. thanks for any help.

Hello,

Inventor 11.

Also when the dynamic simulation is started and a joint is added between the Nut and Bolt will this create the thread ?

No

I really do need the threads to appear so do i have to add them bfore i create the constraints and simulation.

Coil F1

Attach what you have so far.

Hello Mr JD Mather,

Originally Posted by Vent34 viewpost.gif

Hello,

Inventor 11.

I did laugh oh the shame :oops:.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. Here is what i have produced so far. I have also started the analysis and simulation tutorial.

Cadtutor.jpg

Hey Vent, JD means to upload the files you have. In your model tree if you drag the End of Part up the tree it will reduce the file size when you save. If you are using windows, in your file directory you can Right click on the file name and "send to". Zip the part files and the assembly file and upload them here. If i get a second tonight ill try to draw something up and post some screen shots for you.

Hello Shift1313,

Appreciate the explanation, Still very much the inventor novice and really appreciate your time and assistance.

I have uploaded the files and hope they are correct. slowly getting the knack of the coil command but still having trouble tying it down to the bolt as i created it in a seperate part file, so not sure if thats the right thing to do ?.

I have attached the zip files so you and JD can see whare im at.

Once agian your assistance and advice is very welcome. Thanks.

Also great file size reducing tip with the drag end up in the browser. I will find this very handy.

Bolt.zip

thread.zip

Vice Body 02.zip

I skipped over this thread when it was first posted because of its title. But with a few minutes of time on my hands tonight ( 3-8-10 )I thought I'd take a look.

The item you depict is what I call a "pin vise" and I have a working version sitting on my bookshelf in work. It was made a number of years ago by my father who was a tool and die maker for American Hardware (later to be called Emhart Corporation and eventually bought out by Black and Decker) located in the Hardware City of the World...New Britain Connecticut.

What's even stranger is I modeled this same pin vise in 3D for a mechanical CAD drafting class I took in a local community college using plain vanilla AutoCAD 2004. Imagine my surprise seeing your thread re: modeling it in Inventor. Nice.

Hello ReMark, how bizzare :) I really want to pull this project off and with a lot of perseverence I hope to crack it. Not forgetting the invaluable help and advice I have found in this thread. I will post my results here and hope to animate the pin vise threading forwards and backwards.

If it is possible could you post some pics of the vise you have, would be great to see a real one.

Do the Coil Feature in the same part as the Bolt. I couldn't read the dimensions to see if it should be cut or added - so I did cut. Move the square outside diameter if it should be added. (I always cut to mimic the manufacturing process.)

Also, I noticed that your sketches are not constrained - recommend reading this

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

Square Thread.png

Sorry about the dodgy scanned cad plan, thanks for the advice.I will need to add the thread to the pin as opposed to cutting it but would like to try both, could you furnish me with a little more detail on how to add this thread or point me in the direction of a tutorial.the thread is 20mm dia and a 6mm pitch. Thanks for that tutorial will go through it in the morning.

Drag the EOP above Extrusion4.

Start a new sketch on the YZ Plane.

Project Geometry the green edge as shown.

Sketch the rectangle as shown and dimension 3mm.

Make the side = to the top for a 3 x 3 square.

Coil as you did in your Thread part.

Oops, you would be better off to set the OD to 20mm to begin with and select Cut in the Coil dialog box.

Add Thread.png

Vent34: I'll see what I can do re: pics. In the meantime, here is the cover sheet I used for my final project. One correction. I noticed I called it a Grinding Vise and not a Pin Vise. I think that was at the suggestion of a fellow student who was a machinist.

Grinding Vise.jpg

The logo in each corner was my ficticious tool and die company aptly named M Squared. LOL

Here are some screen shots for you vent. The user interface is going to look a little different because this is 2010 but the Coil function is still the same. I was working with Inches in my drawing. I started with a 1" rod that was 12" long. Then i added the first sketch you see. The circle for the rod was centered at the origin so when i drew my profile(and needed an axis to revolve it) I could make use of the standard planes/axis in the Origin folder. I drew an 1/8x1/8" square so the pitch of my acme thread would be 1/4"(see 3rd image). Now this will get you the basic thread but you need to make sure all your specs are right and you will have to take care of the end treatment for these threads as well. The procedure will be the same if you are adding or cutting threads. On the Coil menu(just like extrude and the others) you have the option to "Join", "Cut" or "intersect". If you are cutting threads away you will draw your thread profile in a way that it will remove material and use the Cut options.

ACMEhelp.jpg

ACMEhelp2.jpg

ACMEhelp3.jpg

ACMEhelp4.jpg

GrindingVise 001.jpg

GrindingVise 002.jpg

GrindingVise 003.jpg

Sorry about the quality. Now you know why I didn't become a professional photographer!:lol:

Damn digital cameras. I liked my 35mm camera with telephoto/macro lens way better.

Hello JD Mather,

Thanks very much for the explanation and the tutorial, I have managed to learn some new methods too. Things are looking more positive now.