Square Thread Trouble

Vent34

Hello ReMark, Really appreciate the effort with those pics, they are great and give me a real feel for the vise as opposed to just line work. Also when i get around to completing this model and animation i can get a better understanding for the texturing too. Many Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vent34

• shift1313

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello shift1313 What can i say, Brilliant, Superb. Thanks ever so much for the time taken and for the detailed advice and screen shots. These have helped me greatly with this project. With the invaluble advice i have recieved on this thread i now feel i stand a chance to complete this project. Full steam ahead.................:)

Many Thanks.

Actually the pics look way better on my home computer than they did on my work computer where I loaded them up.

I had just started delving into 3D when I took the course I did the drawings for. I even reproduced the "knurling" on the handle in 3D. The file size was huge!

Well good luck in your endeavor. I, for one, would be most interested in seeing the final results of your work. Keep us posted.

Hello ReMark, I certainly feel as though im getting there now, Have made good headway tonight. bit more tweaking on the model and have experimented with the constraint side of things to. will post what i have done so far soon. really hope this turns out well. anyways thanks for everything.

Hello shift1313 What can i say, Brilliant, Superb. Thanks ever so much for the time taken and for the detailed advice and screen shots. These have helped me greatly with this project. With the invaluble advice i have recieved on this thread i now feel i stand a chance to complete this project. Full steam ahead.................:)

Many Thanks.

No problem at all Vent, but i wasnt the only one to help :D

good luck with it and be sure to let us know what else you need.

ReMark, very nice work. Its a cool logo too:)

Many thanks shift1313.

Have been looking at those Vise pics again ReMark and they have come in really handy. the logo I like it :).

Currently working on the ends of the screw threads trying to chamfer them a bit rather than leave an abrupt square at the start.

Really big thanks to all that have helped so far :).

Hey Guys,

Back again :D, Here is what i have so far. I am having a little problem with the constraint side of things i can get the pin to align and turn but when i use the dynamic simulation to animate the effect the pin moves sideways :huh:.

Can you guys cast your expert eyes over the IAM file i have uploaded, If you have any spare time of course.

Really appreciate all the effort and help so far, Thanks.

Vise Assembly.zip

Hello ReMark, Thats no problem pal, It's the thought that counts :D.

You were a great help with those pics, Even without the macro shots:D.

Regards

Can you guys cast your expert eyes over the IAM file i have uploaded,

An iam file without related ipt files is worthless.

Think of the iam as a picture of instructions on how to put your vise together. The picture only shows what goes where. A record of the assembly constraints and hyperlinks to the part files.

Without the part files the picture is only a picture.

ViseBody Sketch1 missing two dimensions and at least one constraint.

Sketch8 not fully constrained.

Extrusion7 not needed. When (if) I get a chance I'll show you how to make the lead in/out of the thread look better.

Vise Rey Plate Sketch1 not constrained. Also, do not use multiple dimensions that are the same. Dimension one circle and then use = constraint to make second circle equal to first.

Vise Mov Jaw Sketch1 not constrained. Getting the idea - the sketch should turn color indicating that it is fully dimensioned/constrained. Make use of symmetry about the origin and make use of Construction linetype. (see attached example)

Sketching.jpg

Hello and thanks JD Mather,

No problem I understand you are a busy man. Thanks for the advice its always appreciated. I will learn more about these constraints so i can work in a more effecient manner, I did read the tutorial you posted and thought i had cracked that issue. obviously not:oops:. So i will revisit the tut again so i can get this constraint thing drummed in.

I will also revisit the points that you have covered in my existing IPTs.

In the meantime is there any way of animating the screw thread turning into my vise body with the model how it is at present, or do i need to take care of the aforementiond issues first (which i will do anyway).

Many Thanks.

Unfortunately I dont have a version of Inventor at work that will let me view your files. I will have a look at them this evening when I get a free second:)

Hello JD Mather, Ahh I understand now.Please keep the tips comming, And thanks. Here are the IPT files incase you might have a spare moment to take a look :) , your input is very valuable to me.

Regards

Hey Vent, there is one component missing from your assembly. Unfortunately its the component you have a question about. Can you upload vice screw 01?

Hello Shift,

Sorry about that,Here is the missing componant. Thanks for all the help offered so far.

I am currently getting to grips with some constraint issues via tutorials.

I have also noticed that the screw thread pans a bit, in that its not truly a square thread. trying to sort that out with much trial and error :).

Regards.

P.S That file reduction tip you gave me really is comming in handy, thanks.

Vise Screw 01.zip

Alright, i got everything open so here goes.

First thing I did was suppress all your mates pictured below(except the one on the handle).

visehelp2.jpg

I added an insert constraint to the end of your screw with the Move Jaw at the location shown. Keep an eye on the direction options that i pointed to. These should be all the constraints you need to go into Dynamic Simulation.

Visehelp1.jpg

When in Dynamic simulation the way you move the model around is a little different. The location you click will be the base of a force vector(shown in black when you move your mouse around). This is essentially adding a force with the magnitude and direction shown by the arrow. This should give you a good idea for how your model will react with the joints. You will also notice the model tree has changed a little. First thing to note is the grounded section. In this case only the Body should be grounded. If parts come in with no pre-defined relationships they will be grounded. Below that is a Mobile Groups section. Next you can see all the standard joints that were created from the constraints on your model.

You will need to add 1 joint to this model and a torque in order for it to work. Once you have the Screw joint selected make note of the animation. It shows you everything you need to know about the selection process. When you select your components you will see a Triad appear on the part, if it is oriented how you want, you do not need to make any other selections for that part. Once both components are selected and the axis line up(z for z), put your pitch in and apply the joint. A Rolling Joints folder will appear now.

ViseHelp3.jpg

ViseHelp4.jpg

Visehelp5.jpg

Visehelp6.jpg

Last you need to apply a torque. Select the edge shown first, then the face. This will create a torque about the screw driving it in.

Visehelp7.jpg

One thing you will notice is the handle will flint out of the screw because it is free to move. I just suppressed it in the animation.

th_ViseAssembly.jpg