Computer monitor selection

Wilbri

ReMark

Sorry too expensive for me. (= R1125-R1500) more expensive than my motherboard and processor. Is it that important?

Will what I have selected have any influence on my graphics resolution at all?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilbri

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• Tankman

Thank you.

As long as it will be beneficial and not provide similar results to what I discovered with my previous PC, i.e. No obvious change in resolution.

Maybe I need to ask the supplier to provide some advice before purchase?

I suppose then any dedicated graphics card is a better choice than none at all meaning as long as you do NOT buy a system with an onboard GPU you should be better off in the long run.

I suppose then any dedicated graphics card is a better choice than none at all meaning as long as you do NOT buy a system with an onboard GPU you should be better off in the long run.

ReMark got that one right, "Any graphics card is better than none."

A graphics (video) card that doesn't need to share MB memory. It has its own memory.

ReMark and Tankman

Thank you both for your input.

My concern originally stemmed from my intention to upgrade from my present 17" CTR monitor to a 23" LCD monitor and at the same time install MS Widows 7 to replace present XP OS.

What was suggested was that I go for a higher resolution monitor than the one I suggested. (No problem - Accepted understanding the reason).

The other recommendation was to go for Win.7 - 64bit again accepted for reasons provided by ReMark.

So now back to the graphics card which remains a concern.

(Something to consider is that I am presently running without a graphics card an find the resolution acceptable.)

So is the graphics card necessary because I am changing the software and hardware?

Yes I would assume that my present graphics resolution could be improved but to what extent, 20%, 50% and again I am looking at my limited budget.

Does my reasoning make sense to you?

Lacking a dedicated graphics card means that in some cases the onboard graphics chip will not be able to handle the demands put upon it. In the event this happens the system will resort to stealing resources from main memory (i.e. - RAM) thus starving the system of these resources. By all means go with an onboard GPU but also add some extra memory (RAM) too. If you were going to install 2GB of RAM up it to 4GB instead.

Thanks ReMark

I appreciate your input.

So it would seem to be contest between a graphics card or thr additional RAM.

Well possibly the card is the way to go because I can obtain a better card than the one I was referring to last night by equating it's price to the cost of additional RAM, which can still come later.

Sorry to impose on you again but would it be better to do it the other way around,get the additional ram and save towards purchasing a better graphics card later when I can afford it?

Remark

I have reviewed your reply for a second time and humbly apologize for misinterpreting it.

What you are suggesting here are "belt together with braces".

Pants pocket rather light at the moment so hardly need to wear the belt if you get gist, namely a restricted budget until further work is forthcoming.

So I will put the suggested acquisitions on the back burner until the finances allow it. Pity! I was looking forward to my new larger LCD monitor.

Thanks to all for your input?

Buy the LCD monitor and give it a try as Styk suggested. Worry about a graphics card only when and if you have to.

Your present system has 4GB of RAM installed I see. What I don't see is any info on the motherboard and the onboard graphics chip. Do you have any? A make/model number on the motherboard would be helpful. Unless of course you know if it has an AGP slot or a PCIe slot for a graphics card addition.

I have created some confusion here. A few problems detected in my Computer Details.

Firstly my motherboard is an ASUS P5K. PCIE slot available for Graphice card.

Attempted to obtain more details on ASUS website but cannot locate my board, but it is definaetly of reasonable quality. And obviously the on board graphics are good otherwise I would not be obtaining present results.

Why would changing to a larger LCD have any effect?

I only have 2GB of RAM and not 4.

I would like to edit my details.

How do I go about doing so?

Can we lay to rest once and for all the rumor that changing your monitor from CRT to LCD is going to have any affect on your system? Bottom line: it won't. So you have our permission to go out and buy that brand new LCD monitor today. Right now. Stop reading this post and just do it. OK? I didn't think we'd have to convince you to do something you obviously want to do. LOL

OK...RAM is 2GB not 4GB. Gotcha. I'll have to check the details on the RAM re: the type/speed you're using.

OK...PCIe slot available for a dedicated graphics card should the desire/need to have one arises. Good option when the money starts rolling in.

ASUS P5K mobo. Alright. I'll look up the specs on that as well and get back to you if I have any comments.

Thanks for the revised/new info.

Yes I agreewith you regarding your comment on the monitor, it has tended to become repetitive and annoying.

No offense taken

Look forward to your comments on the MB.

Please advise how to edit my computer details?

Enough monitors. Get the LCD monitor and stop second guessing your desire to have a flat screen.

All will be fine. "If you got an itch, scratch it."

Click on User CP at the top of your screen. At the next page look on the left. Click on Edit Profile. Change at will.

No offense meant but you are right. We got too far afield on the matter. Just do it.

Will try to find mobo details right now. Wait. Is that a P5K-V or PK5-VM? Both models come with an integrated Intel GPU.

I'll be back.8)

I'm baaaaaaaaack. Here's a link to the Asus-Tek website:

http://event.asus.com/mb/p5k/spec.html

Thanks Tankman

Agreed.

Remark

Thank you for the hyperlink, saved as bookmark for future reference.

This is a plain P5K IP35 mobo. Found te spec. in ASUS, Approx 3years old.

thanks for the advice regarding CP will correct in due course.