Arc Agony

Numerics

Hi All,

I am having a bit of trouble on a symbol for my electrical CAD work, i did 4/5 for this set, but this one kinda has me stumped, I just can't get the consecutive arcs to look right, can someone help me to understand how to do this?

here is the preview image of it:

arcarcarcarc.png

Also, what does R2 and TYP mean? I might've missed something in my Unit for class, but i don't ever recalling any text explaining that. :oops:

Thanks in advance! :love:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Numerics

• MikeScott

• alanjt

• fuccaro

R2 = 2' Radius

TYP = Typical (2' Radius for each arc).

You know the full length (24) and you have 6 arcs (Rad: 2, chord: 4).

Draw a line along the 24' line a the length of the chord (4'), then execute the arc command.

1. Pick the first point on the line.
  2. type "e" for end and pick the other end of the 4' line (chord of arc).
  3. Type "R" for radius and pick the midpoint of the drawn line and it will draw your arc (Chord: 4, Radius: 2)

Erase the 4' line and copy the arc 5 times (end point to end point).

Sorry I can't give a pictorial description. I don't have AutoCAD installed on this machine.

R2 = 2' Radius

TYP = Typical (2' Radius for each arc).

You know the full length (24) and you have 6 arcs (Rad: 2, chord: 4).

Draw a line along the 24' line a the length of the chord (4'), then execute the arc command.

1. Pick the first point on the line.
  2. type "e" for end and pick the other end of the 4' line (chord of arc).
  3. Type "R" for radius and pick the midpoint of the drawn line and it will draw your arc (Chord: 4, Radius: 2)

Erase the 4' line and copy the arc 5 times (end point to end point).

Sorry I can't give a pictorial description. I don't have AutoCAD installed on this machine.

that's great! thank you, that helps a lot, no need for pictures ^.^

I just learned how to do something in a totally efficient and new way :P

that's great! thank you, that helps a lot, no need for pictures ^.^

I just learned how to do something in a totally efficient and new way :P

You're very welcome. :)

Glad you understood what I was trying to convey. I was worried I couldn't explain it well enough without pictures and/or AutoCAD next to me to check what I was telling you.

With CAD, there are countless ways to perform the same action.

You're very welcome. :)

Glad you understood what I was trying to convey. I was worried I couldn't explain it well enough without pictures and/or AutoCAD next to me to check what I was telling you.

With CAD, there are countless ways to perform the same action.

do you know where can i find the 'snap to object' option? i tried looking for it through search under the toolbars index, but i couldn't find it, unless i totally overlooked it, right now i am doing it the extremely manual way and kinda.. zooming in as far as i can and meeting up both lines as best as i could :( i don't think i am doing it too efficiently.

do you know where can i find the 'snap to object' option? i tried looking for it through search under the toolbars index, but i couldn't find it, unless i totally overlooked it, right now i am doing it the extremely manual way and kinda.. zooming in as far as i can and meeting up both lines as best as i could :( i don't think i am doing it too efficiently.

Never ever ever ever do that.

You can set running OSnaps (while on, will display for any command on an object) by typing OSnaps.

Also, you can use an OSnap override (will only snap to the specified OSnap) by either typing in the snap (eg. end, per, near, tan) or you can hold either the Shift or Control key down and right-click. From there you can choose the OSnap override you want.

Never ever ever ever do that.

You can set running OSnaps (while on, will display for any command on an object) by typing OSnaps.

Also, you can use an OSnap override (will only snap to the specified OSnap) by either typing in the snap (eg. end, per, near, tan) or you can hold either the Shift or Control key down and right-click. From there you can choose the OSnap override you want.

I know, I am sorry :cry:

and thank you again, It's so easy to get to if I'd have known. :glare:

I know, I am sorry :cry:

and thank you again, It's so easy to get to if I'd have known. :glare:

Nah, I did the same thing when I first started out. :)

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I am having trouble with this now:

zigzagm.png

not so much arcs, as much as it is just.. lines, but i keep doing the math over and over and over, and i cannot whenever i add the measruements up, it never sums up to , i keep getting 23, or 19, or any other number, it just never adds up to 21.

Can anyone explain what i am doing wrong? or if anyone is coming to the same conclusion? :(

thanks.8)

you're not supposed to.. the 21 controls how long the last wave segment is..

For example.. you've got 6 units between peaks, but only two of the waves actually REACH their peaks and valleys.

The far right valley is 3 units away from the peak, but that little line next to it is undimensioned before it goes to the horizontal.

Add up everything, and subtract it from the 21 to find that dimension.

As far as the posts go.. jumbling them together or seperately makes little difference.. we're just helping with homework. Of course, we aren't much help if we can't stop some of the males solving the entire thing just because there's a female avatar in play.. lol.

Learning, and actually finding the answer, is much more important than having the answer given to you.

The first (from left) rising line has a width of 2. Its pair on the right is not specified, so we must speculate that is also two units width. Now, if we applied symmetry assumptions, we should apply it to all the undimensioned elements -in this case the horizontal line on the left.

If we draw last that horizontal line on the left so that the whole length is 21, its length should be... zero

Of course, we aren't much help if we can't stop some of the males solving the entire thing just because there's a female avatar in play.. lol.

Learning, and actually finding the answer, is much more important than having the answer given to you.

See?

Fuccaro, yes and no..

You just said that the horizontal line on the left was "2" and then said it was zero. There is another segment that's undimensioned.. not even as a "typical"

There are two dimensions not given but only one has anything to do with the 21.

Try drawing it, and it will become obvious.. which I suspect is the point of the lesson.

I drew it and I came across an other strange thing:

A full wave is formed by two oblique lines and it has a length (read: horizontal length) of 6 units. An oblique line has the length of 3 units. So far is ok. But a half oblique line has a length of 2 units, not 1.5, as it should be.

Ok, let's leave this member with a female avatar to work his/her homework.

Well.. without giving it all away, there's a reason why you're getting 1.5 rather than 2.

To help understand it though.. try imagining how you'd draw this without having a picture, just the listed dimensions being described to you while you drew it. You couldn't do it and have it look anything like the original.

The reason WHY, is the same reason why that last oblique (to the right) was "odd"

you're not supposed to.. the 21 controls how long the last wave segment is..

For example.. you've got 6 units between peaks, but only two of the waves actually REACH their peaks and valleys.

The far right valley is 3 units away from the peak, but that little line next to it is undimensioned before it goes to the horizontal.

Add up everything, and subtract it from the 21 to find that dimension.

As far as the posts go.. jumbling them together or seperately makes little difference.. we're just helping with homework. Of course, we aren't much help if we can't stop some of the males solving the entire thing just because there's a female avatar in play.. lol.

i'll remove my pic if you want, mike, i just wanted some help understanding this, because obviously it didn't add up the way i was doing it.

Well.. without giving it all away, there's a reason why you're getting 1.5 rather than 2.

To help understand it though.. try imagining how you'd draw this without having a picture, just the listed dimensions being described to you while you drew it. You couldn't do it and have it look anything like the original.

The reason WHY, is the same reason why that last oblique (to the right) was "odd"

ok, thanks