Arc Agony

Numerics

lol It's not your pic that was a problem.. it's the reaction to it.

It often seems like people rush all over themselves to give answers to a "PYT" (pretty young thing) whether it helps them or not. Kinda' like a big protective guy to lead you to your destination, rather than enable you to get there yourself next time. :)

I'm just bothered by the fact that folks aren't helping people learn and are handing them answers when the questions are intended to help the person learn something or practise something learned in class.

I'm sorry that I was giving off a different impression.. it wasn't intentional.

Regarding your CAD question though.. Do you understand what I meant, or is it still giving you trouble?

If so.. Ask yourself if you see enough information to recreate this drawing. If not, then what's missing? Perhaps start drawing it, soley from the given dimensions.. put no endpoint down unless you're SURE of it's location in relation to the rest of the drawing. That should tell you what.. if anything.. is missing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Numerics

• MikeScott

• alanjt

• fuccaro

lol It's not your pic that was a problem.. it's the reaction to it.

It often seems like people rush all over themselves to give answers to a "PYT" (pretty young thing) whether it helps them or not. Kinda' like a big protective guy to lead you to your destination, rather than enable you to get there yourself next time. :)

I'm just bothered by the fact that folks aren't helping people learn and are handing them answers when the questions are intended to help the person learn something or practise something learned in class.

I'm sorry that I was giving off a different impression.. it wasn't intentional.

Regarding your CAD question though.. Do you understand what I meant, or is it still giving you trouble?

If so.. Ask yourself if you see enough information to recreate this drawing. If not, then what's missing? Perhaps start drawing it, soley from the given dimensions.. put no endpoint down unless you're SURE of it's location in relation to the rest of the drawing. That should tell you what.. if anything.. is missing.

i turned the schematic in, my instructor said they all looked good, i understood what you said, thank you very much, i appreciate your help.

-

but also, i agree, i don't want anyone giving me a step-by-step on how to do all of my homework, but i do like learning the proper way to do things, if you know what i mean.

like when alan showed me that i can just repeat and snap my arcs together instead of doing one by one, which is what i was going to do if it wasn't stated, probably would've taken a lot more time... and how he taught me the hotkey menu for object snap, before he told me what it was, i was doing really badly by assuming where the points should meet, by zooming in as far as i can and clicking corners without snap at all.

I've been doing a lot of things unorthodoxly lately because i've not been taught how to do them efficiently yet... and i shamefully admit that i've even been screenshotting the previews of what drawing i am supposed to do, and picking them apart in microsoft paint :( comparing lines to see if they match up.

I know that it is probably a really horrible method, but i really don't know any better yet.

:) gotta' start somewhere, and identifying the problems is where it's at.

I don't get the microsoft paint reference though.. are you trying to measure lines that way? or find bad intersections? or comparing your work with the drawings?

First thing they taught me when I took drafting in High school as an elective: If it doesn't SAY it's to scale.. then it's not. They used to try and trip us up on that all the time, by giving incorrect options in multiple choice based on scaling the lines:

For example.. multiple choice, how long is segment "A":

Answer "A", was right.

Answer "B" is the scaled measurement of the not-to-scale line

etc. etc.

You lost extra point if you picked B

It sucked, but you only made that mistake once or twice before you got the point. :)

LoL

The new one looks so disapproving.

It's pretty funny though.. considering WHY she changed it.. it looks distinctly miffed. That's the look I get from my cat when the litter box is ready. ;)

It's pretty funny though.. considering WHY she changed it.. it looks distinctly miffed. That's the look I get from my cat when the litter box is ready. ;)

i'll miff you :x

:?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that offensively as if you needed your litter changed or something.. that's just the look I get from one of them. I guess I could've phrased that better..

Seriously, there's no bad blood here or anything, I honestly enjoy your posts.

:?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that offensively as if you needed your litter changed or something.. that's just the look I get from one of them. I guess I could've phrased that better..

Seriously, there's no bad blood here or anything, I honestly enjoy your posts.

lol don't worry Mike, i was just being silly. 8)

:sweat: Phew! ok. :)

Hey.. still didn't get the paint reference.. what are you trying to do? there might be an easy fix to stop doing that.

:sweat: Phew! ok. :)

Hey.. still didn't get the paint reference.. what are you trying to do? there might be an easy fix to stop doing that.

paint reference as in me using microsoft paint in combination with autocad?

i mean't that i am obviously not doing things efficiently, i took a screenshot of the autocad design preview window for my class, which had the drawing in a smaller scale that we were supposed to duplicate manually, and started to cut lines from it and paste them next to eachother in the screenshot to see if they match up, then i would assume the length instead of actually figuring it out, and go from there because i'd hit a brick wall when trying to figure it out... i know it is a really bad method, as i was told to never assume or estimate stuff.

but i was kinda panicking, so i had to find some way to do it.

luckily, my instructor told me that all of my drawings looked fine, which i could've sworn they weren't going to be. :sweat:

heh.. do yer math/geometry. If the info isn't there to do it, and you get it "right", it'll be wrong. Or at least that's how my teacher used to catch us in drafting.

If nothing else, asking the teacher, and learning how to get that measurement from what's provided, may be a good learning experience.

Is it the "typ" that throws you off, maybe?

heh.. do yer math/geometry. If the info isn't there to do it, and you get it "right", it'll be wrong. Or at least that's how my teacher used to catch us in drafting.

If nothing else, asking the teacher, and learning how to get that measurement from what's provided, may be a good learning experience.

Is it the "typ" that throws you off, maybe?

once you told me what typical stood for, i kinda got it, it just means that every other symmetrical line would be the same, right? or somfing? :huh:

and um.. i never knew how oblique applied to autocad up until this current unit which i just learned about yesterday.

once you told me what typical stood for, i kinda got it, it just means that every other symmetrical line would be the same, right? or somfing? :huh:

Basically. It's just to signify that all things matching that which is marked Typical are the same.

eg.

A circle with an "X" labeled Banana (Typ.) would lead you to believe that all circles that have an "X" are Bananas.

It can also say "Typ of 6", "Typ 6x", "6x Typ" which means that it's telling you there's 6 of those things. Usually, it'll refer to holes when it does that, but COULD refer to any drawing feature, like teeth on a gear or something.