how to extrude metal frame

automike

hi im new to forum and need help please,

im trying to extrude a frame made from 3 inch box section , i can use the push pull ok but when i try to extrude instead it has no top or bottom and is not solid

any help would be appreciated , ill try to get a hand sketch posted so you get what im trying to do

many thanks all

mike

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• automike

• Cad64

• ReMark

• tottiekop

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's because you're Extruding individual line segments. If you are going to Extrude then you have to use a closed Polyline if you want the Extrusion to be a Solid. The PressPull command works regardless of whether you have line segments or a closed Polyline.

I have moved your question to the "3D Modeling & Rendering" area of the forum.

:) wow thats a graet link thanks so much do you have any other links , i am interested in box section frame work as i make trailers ans steel tube stands for oil storage tanks

thanks again

mike

Hi :)

I'am trying to make this base plate a solid, it's a closed polyline but as soon as I have extruded it the result is not a 3d solid but it ends up with no top or bottom as if I have used line segments from the beginning? :unsure:

What am I missing :?

Thanx

drawing vir online help 2.dwg

It's possible that it is not an entirely closed polyline. How can you tell? Use the CONVTOSOLID command on it. One object is found. However, the command fails. The user is told "Cannot convert an open curve." There is a "gap" somewhere.

Your Polyline is not closed. I just went through and made sure that all your arc endpoints were snapped together, endpoint to endpoint. Then Converted to Polyline and Joined all segments. Now when I Extrude, I get a Solid.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanx for the quick response 8)

:?

I see what you mean :

Command: convtosolid

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

Cannot convert an open curve.

What i did was i took the base when it was all pieces of line segments and used the pedit command and then joined them to make it a polyline.

Do you have any suggestions how to find that open curve??

hi first time post, im trying to extrude a 3 inch metal box section frame. my problem is ,first i draw a rectangle 8' by 4' then i polyline it then offset to inside by 3 inches, polyline again ,then set SE view then select all then extrude it by 3 inches then what happens is everything gets extruded including the space in the middle , please can anyone help , many thanks for any help given

regards mikesmiley1.gif:)

framejpeg.dwg

thanks for your help i am going to have to do a bit more reading on this as a lot of suggestions dont make sense to a me a newb , ive just joined the VTC website lots of video tutorials :wink:

sorted out extrude frame , what i did was ployline all of the frame then extrude all items by selecting all in a window this was the point where i went wrong because aswell as extruding frame it extruded the space within frame as as soilid , so what i did was extrude each individual frame member