Creating blank areas around text

bobsy852

I know i commented about this on the end of a topic yesterday, and I figured out the wipeut tool, however, today I am having to enter a lot of text into hatched areas, and to make the text more elegible, i could do with the hatching being wiped out around the text. Is there any way so it does this automatically (without re-hatching) or do I have to do it manually with the WIPEOUT tool?

Thanks again everyone

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• ScribbleJ

• gsksun4

• bobsy852

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the dimension style editor, you can select for a frame and/or background fill, but I can't find anything for the Text style.

I'd like a way to do this as well. It takes some effort to create a wipeout for each little bit of text on a 400 acre survey drawing.:shock:

Cheeze, then you have to worry about draw order for all of them if you monkee with the hatches.

Not sure about LT...

If you use Mtext you can use Background Mask.

Wait? am I asleep? Where is that. I am probably looking right at it now without seeing it.

Don't tell me, I just F1'd it.

FOUND IT. It's on the options arrow in the mtext editor box.

Not sure if you have this in LT or not, but in FULL there is a pull out dialog to the bottom right of the HATCH dialog. You get an Island detection area. See below...

HATCH ISLAND.jpg

Does AutoCad LT lack the ability to select text in the hatch command? Any text that is selected inside a hatched area will be treated as an island and will not have hatching behind it. If it is a hatching already in place then edit hatch and select the text by Add: Select objects.

I have my hatching set up the same way using that island detection tool Ryder! It detects any text that's already there but I'm currently trying to add text after I've hatched my fields. And it's an awful pain to re-hatch them! :(

Glad I'm not the only 1 with this problem Dana!

So far I've set up 1 with a wipeout and then copied it around! It's ok for notes with all the same size text, but a right pain if i want to change the text size or text note! :( because then you have to re-do the wipeout box again! :(

:D That's the ticket Scribble! :D

Put in the text you want, then edit the hatching and press "select objects" and then select the text and ok the hatch...HEY PRESTO! no hatch behind the new text! Thanks for that Scribble! you just saved me a load of work!

I have my hatching set up the same way using that island detection tool Ryder! It detects any text that's already there but I'm currently trying to add text after I've hatched my fields. And it's an awful pain to re-hatch them! :(

Glad I'm not the only 1 with this problem Dana!

So far I've set up 1 with a wipeout and then copied it around! It's ok for notes with all the same size text, but a right pain if i want to change the text size or text note! :( because then you have to re-do the wipeout box again! :(

See post 2 and 4. It works beautifully. I had never considered that the background mask might exist. They hide it on that little tiny arrow to the right of the text editor dialog, and in the Help file. Hoodathunk to look in those two places.:lol:

Does AutoCad LT lack the ability to select text in the hatch command? Any text that is selected inside a hatched area will be treated as an island and will not have hatching behind it. If it is a hatching already in place then edit hatch and select the text by Add: Select objects.

Well, it does and it doesn't.:( I find half the time that the island is a full line or more off alignment with the text. It is not always satisfactory.

I found out just now that a background mask the same color as the area behind the text and hatch is the cat's jammies.:)

What I can't believe is that I never thought to even look for the option before.:oops:

See post 2 and 4. It works beautifully. I had never considered that the background mask might exist. They hide it on that little tiny arrow to the right of the text editor dialog, and in the Help file. Hoodathunk to look in those two places.:lol:

You can also right click inside the Mtext editor and it comes up with a context menu that has Background Mask as an option there as well.

You can also right click inside the Mtext editor and it comes up with a context menu that has Background Mask as an option there as well.

:lol:Are you tryin' to make me feel bad?:lol:

Gimmee a break, I am still tryin' to find my way around town with paper maps.:?

Hey yal - don't feel bad about not knowing something. I've been using ACAD since 1990 and I'm still learning new stuff and well as re-learning some things I forgot!:lol:

:lol:Are you tryin' to make me feel bad?:lol:

Gimmee a break, I am still tryin' to find my way around town with paper maps.:?

D'oH! :shock:

Sorry Dana. :oops:

LMAO :D

Ahhhhh that was a good laugh for this morning. Thanks for that.:)

Hey yal - don't feel bad about not knowing something. I've been using ACAD since 1990 and I'm still learning new stuff and well as re-learning some things I forgot!:lol:

Ain't that the truth! I have been using since then as well and it seems I have forgotten some commands that I find again or remember that makes my work easier again simply because I am trying to figure out how to simplify my work. Oh how easy we forget the basics.

I find this to be useful, but I'd like to not use a color background on the mask in the MTEXT tool under options. Another words, I just want to have a blank area around the text. I tried picking white, but it prints out black. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance

Glenn

2009LT

:D That's the ticket Scribble! :D

Put in the text you want, then edit the hatching and press "select objects" and then select the text and ok the hatch...HEY PRESTO! no hatch behind the new text! Thanks for that Scribble! you just saved me a load of work!

Could you please say how you did the edit on the hatch? This seems to be the easiest solution for me.

Thanks

Glenn

2009LT

Also, I tried the wipeout command and not only could I get ortho to work on the polyline to make the box around the text, but when I hit enter, it erased the hatch area and the text as well.

Could you please say how you did the edit on the hatch? This seems to be the easiest solution for me.

Thanks

Glenn

2009LT

Either double click on the hatching or type in HATCHEDIT at the command line.

Either double click on the hatching or type in HATCHEDIT at the command line.

Yes, thank you, but now that the hatch tool is open then what?

Yes, thank you, but now that the hatch tool is open then what?

I already explained this. See my first post in this thread.