autocad is tooo slow when I make 3d assy

yb1

Will you please give some ideas how to fight with that problem?

Even mirror command takes 20 minutes now! And I need to add a bunch of details later.

Is there any way how to make my details "smaller"? So I could actually work with them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• yb1

• tzframpton

• Izzi1212

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Before blaming AutoCAD you might take a look at your computer hardware specs.

What are you running AutoCAD 2009 on?

What OS are you using?

What do you have for a graphics card?

How much memory (RAM) to you have?

What is the speed of the hard drive?

Are you running other programs in the background?

Is your graphics card up to the task of manipulating 3D drawings?

How large (in MBs) is the drawing you are working on?

What are you running AutoCAD 2009 on? DELL PRECISION PWS490

What OS are you using? XP PROFESSIONAL

What do you have for a graphics card? NVIDIA

How much memory (RAM) to you have? 2.00GB

What is the speed of the hard drive? 2.33GHZ

Are you running other programs in the background? NO

Is your graphics card up to the task of manipulating 3D drawings? YES

How large (in MBs) is the drawing you are working on? 25MB now and I have to add about 50MB more.

How much vidRAM on the nVidia card? Which model is it?

I doubt your hard drive runs at 2.33GHz. Hard drive speed is measured in rpms. Standard is 5400, faster is 7200, faster yet is 10,000 (if it is a SATA) and 15,000 if you went SCSI.

The 2.33GHz is most likely the chip speed.

2GB memory is not much if you're pushing around a 25MB+ drawing. Adding another 50MB to the drawing file size will just about kill your computer. Be prepared for a major lock-up.

Can you split the drawing up into several individual sections?

Can you work with some layers frozen?

When was the last time you defragged the hard drive?

Do you have enough free-space?

What is virtual memory set to?

You're not running IE and/or an anti-virus program concurrently?

How much vidRAM on the nVidia card? Which model is it? QUADRO FX 3450/4000 SDI

I doubt your hard drive runs at 2.33GHz. Hard drive speed is measured in rpms. Standard is 5400, faster is 7200, faster yet is 10,000 (if it is a SATA) and 15,000 if you went SCSI. I HAVE 5140 @ 2.33 GHZ

The 2.33GHz is most likely the chip speed. IT IS THAT I HAVE TO WRK WITH.

2GB memory is not much if you're pushing around a 25MB+ drawing. Adding another 50MB to the drawing file size will just about kill your computer. Be prepared for a major lock-up. I KNOW THAT, IT WAS HAPPEN BEFORE, THUS I ASK HERE ABOUT SOMETHING HOW TO AVOID THAT.

Can you split the drawing up into several individual sections? YES, I CAN. BUT , PROBLEM IS- I HAVE TO GATHER EVERYTHING IN ONE PLACE WITHOUT SPLITING.

Can you work with some layers frozen? YES.

When was the last time you defragged the hard drive? 2 DAYS AGO.

Do you have enough free-space? YES, ABOUT 60GB OF 74GB

What is virtual memory set to? I DON'T KNOW.

You're not running IE and/or an anti-virus program concurrently? NO

The 490 workstation is dual-core with a 2MB L2 cache (good). It can support up to 32GB of quad-channel DDR2 533MHz of memory (great); you're woefully short of that number (bad). The SATA drive spins at 7200 rpm and comes with 8MB of databurst cache (good). Your graphics card seems robust enough (OpenGL) (good).

So, have you loaded all service packs?

When did the problem first occur?

Is it just this particular, bloated drawing, or do other drawings present with the same problem?

Have you contacted your authorized AutoDesk reseller?

Are you on subscription? If so, have you put in a request for help?

Have you researched the problem at the AutoCAD Discussion Groups forum?

Have you considered moving to Vista?

Have you tried turning off some of the AutoCAD 2009 features to see if that makes any difference?

Take a look at this too:

http://blog.jtbworld.com/2007/09/slow-autocad-startup-or-performance.html

The 490 workstation is dual-core with a 2MB L2 cache (good). It can support up to 32GB of quad-channel DDR2 533MHz of memory (great); you're woefully short of that number (bad). The SATA drive spins at 7200 rpm and comes with 8MB of databurst cache (good). Your graphics card seems robust enough (OpenGL) (good).

I'll tell my boss what need be done.:)

So, have you loaded all service packs? Yes.

When did the problem first occur? It happened usually when I opened from autocad 2008 files are made in autocad 2007. and now, when I 've got autocad 2009, i have the same story. Is this a cause?

Is it just this particular, bloated drawing, or do other drawings present with the same problem? Some of them have it, some -don't. When it get "too heavy", usially it takes centuries to open and do some operations with objects.

Have you contacted your authorized AutoDesk reseller? yes.

Are you on subscription? If so, have you put in a request for help? yes.

Have you researched the problem at the AutoCAD Discussion Groups forum? I am registered here only.

Have you considered moving to Vista? no.

Have you tried turning off some of the AutoCAD 2009 features to see if that makes any difference? no. what features could I off?

Take a look at this too:

http://blog.jtbworld.com/2007/09/slow-autocad-startup-or-performance.html

Do you have 3D Hardware enabled in AutoCAD? Type 3DCONFIG and click the Manual Tune button. Make sure the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" is checked.

Your computer should be able to handle a graphic intensive DWG file, no problems. However, a 25MB DWG file is a HUGE file. You must be doing some serious 3D modeling.

Hey there Stykman how's it going? Good idea that 3DCONFIG suggestion. The 'puter could probably benefit from some more physical RAM. Considering the system mobo can take up to 32GB (that's 28GB more than mine!) I'd max that puppy out big time!

Do you have 3D Hardware enabled in AutoCAD? Type 3DCONFIG and click the Manual Tune button. Make sure the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" is checked.

Your computer should be able to handle a graphic intensive DWG file, no problems. However, a 25MB DWG file is a HUGE file. You must be doing some serious 3D modeling.

I've checked it. It was checked.:)

yb1 has a computer with dual-core Xeon 64-bit processors. He's running Auto2009 which comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I know that Microsoft sold Windows XP Pro x64 Edition. Question: Is that the OS yb1 is running? If so, he should have the 64-bit version of AC loaded. If everything is geared towards 64-bit is the 3GB switch relevant? It would seem to be a non-factor given he can populate his mobo with 32GB of RAM!

Well something is wrong. I can't tell you any further what to do because from this point on, I would have to physically be in front of the computer to check settings in both AutoCAD and your computer.

For the record, 25MB DWG file is insane big. My guess is there is some issue within the file, or it's simply just too big for your computer to handle. You have plenty of computer though, it honestly doesn't get much better than your system. Good luck in finding out with the problem is.