corner clean up variable???

cadman6735

This one is driving me crazy

There is a variable that will join the corners of a pline to look like a clean join as in a mitter join, with a sharp point as one would expect to see in a rectangle.

But on some cases my plines join as if two line are meeting but don't clean up, as if there was a small triangle piece missing in the corner.

I remember from earlier versions R12 and maybe up to pre 2000 that I had to set this variable. Since then I have not seen this occure so I have forgotten this variable.

I have searched and search to find this variable, I guess I am not typing in the search correctly to find my answer.

Does anyone here know this variable?

Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cadman6735

• ReMark

• Dana W

• KSprague

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you using a non-continuous linetype?

What is PLINEGEN set to?

I know that line end styles and line join styles can be controlled at plot time by editing the plotstyle properties. Line end styles include: butt, square, round and diamond. Line join styles include: miter, bevel, round and diamond.

Hi ReMark

Thanks for the reply, you almost got me excited...

I am using a Pline and the only way I can explain is if you give a pline a width of 12" (for exaple, any width will show this) Now start your pline and make a zig zag but dont' exit the command. you can see the lines don't join , they look like end point on top of an end point. As soon as you hit enter or exit the command the lines clean up.

Well I have found a few drawings that don't clean up, the ends remain as if they look while drawing the Pline.

I remember this being an issue in school when first learning ACAD R12 and we had to either swith on a variable or exicute a command inside of pline itself, can't remember it is that long ago for me but this issue has raised its ugly head on a couple of drawings and I am stumped.

Thanks

Here is the frustrating part for me.

From what I remember "join" (I think) was the solution to fix the issue on a line by line selection (one at a time) but it does not fix the issue of when I draw a new pline the lines are still not clean. I could swear there was a variable that resolved this but I can't remember.

The only reason I say (I think, above) is because this is from an older project that I don't remember which one it was in, I just remember the issue but never got around to posting the question and just remembered while eatin my lunch and thought to post now while I was surving this site.

I can't duplicate the issue to resolve the issue, but I have seen it at least twice in the last year and half, and this one eats at me because I thought I used to know the answer, now I just think I am crazy.

And also, for some crazy reason I don't even think join fixed the clean up either it just joint the plines as one. for the project in question.

But are you using a non-continuous linetype as Remark asked you?

The way that AutoCAD draws a wide polyline is to clean up a corner afterwards when using a continuous linetype, but NOT when using a non-continuous (dashed) linetype.

Corner.jpg

Sorry, I miss understood

I was thinking of an unjoined poly line not a solid continouse vs dashed

Yes, I am using a continouse pline

but now that i am looking at your picture and you cleared up the question for me, I am now wondering if the lines used where dashed lines at the wrong ltscale making them look continouse. I didn't check this. But it was a title border line doing it and there is no reason why they would turn this dashed except by mistake.

But I will still say I remember this being an issue way back when I first started to learn ACAD and there was a variable, I can't believe I am making this up.

Pre-release 12 is when you think you encountered/solved the problem last? Jeez, that almost makes me want to take out my release 9 floppy disks (5.25") and try loading up the program!

Well I'm positive we have had this discussion at least once before that I can recall. I'm a short-timer...just three months shy of five years here. My how time flies.

ReMark

ah, not to worry, this really is not an issue for me, just a bug up my butt trying to remember something that I might have imagined. (though I know I didn't)

I hope someone, someday will be surfing by and go "oh, I know this one" and share the answer, till then at least I finaly posted the question.

(the more I think about it the more I believe that it is from having two seperate polys and I have to join them to make them clean up as you stated in your second post).

And you was right about the plotstyle, funny enough as I was having this discusion here on this site, I was helping another architect and he was having the same issue with his border sheet, this was due to the plot style being on butt not round. (and I woundn't have figured it out if I wasn't talking with you) Life is funny this way

I guess I am crazy and imagining things, at least I can let this one go now.

Thanks for letting me waist your time... :-)

The thing is I've seen this myself but I don't recall changing a variable. I do recall changing the linetype to continuous though.

I checked the AutoDesk Discussion Groups archive of release 12, 13 and 14 questions/answers and there were a couple of people posting the exact same question as you but there were no "ah ha" answers given.

I know what will happen now. I'll stumble across the answer while researching something else and forget where the question was posted! LOL

I remember back when I used to teach a printed circuit board design class and we used pen plotters to create the artwork. Some traces might be relatively wide compared to the pen size. This was very important for getting good corners. Been more than 10 years though, and now I can't find it.....

No way. Try it.

I couldn't, cuz my computer was under a plastic bag. Doing some ceiling patching.:sweat:

OK, so you can't fillet a pline to itself, open corner or otherwise. I don't make much use of the zero fillet. snaps work gooder faster. At any rate zero fillet leaves the corner apperance unchanged even when there are two lines or plines to fillet. I have rounded ends, which leave the wedgy gap thing on the outside corners. The fatter the line, (tested @ 0.083") the wider the blank wedge.

The beveled ends don't gap, but then only at 90 deg.

I think the issue is with the plot style. I want to say I remeber keying it in becasue R12 is mostly key-in commands so I thought it was a variable as most varaible settings are keyed in, in the new versions today.

So maybe setting up the plotter in R12 I confussed with setting up a variable.

The only problem is I can't duplicate it to test it. I am chaning the endstyles but they clean up...

I too remember this issue vividly. There's a page in the R12 manual that shows two polylines, one with the corner smoothed, one choppy. There is (or was) a variable (or something) to affect pline corners. If I think of it this weekend, I'll dig that book out of the attic.

I came across a list of all system variables for release 9 yesterday and checked every single one. There wasn't one mentioned for fixing this problem. If there was such a variable then it had to be after version 9 and before version 13.

In the plot style table editor you can change the line end and join styles, but that is only for plotting. Don't think it affects the screen image. Come to think of it, this was already mentioned, sorta.