Adjusting scales

Claudia

Hi there, forgive me if I don't make sense but I learned AutoCAD in a second language, and in metric, and now I have to figure this out in another unit.:halloween:

I have a drawing which is 1:1 (feet) on MS. When I plot (from PS) I'm using a 96 scale factor so that the drawing is 1/8" =1'-0". But when I measure the plotted drawing, there's about a 1/2 feet discrepancy. What should i do to fix this? Could the scale in the viewports be wrong? How do I fix that?

Thanks for any help.

Claudia

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Claudia

• ReMark

• qball

• rkent

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A one to two foot discrepancy can't be explained away if one of the standard architectural scales was used. Look at an architect's scale. What's available to the user that is close to 1/8'=1'-0"? It's either 3/32" or 3/16" right?

You say the model space objects were drawn 1:1 but how do you know this to be true?

Oh this drawing have nothing to do with my "past" LOL...I mean, I was trained in another country using metric and now i work in a country that used inches/feet. The drawing was created from the beggining in inches. Sorry for the confusion LOL

Yes I use window/pick, then select the entire page that is on Paper Space ( with the company info etc), it plots well on an A1 size page, but it measures incorrectly after plotted, for example, a 10' wall ( that was measured with DIST as 10' in MS) reads 1/2 inch longer. (using an architect scale at 1/8)

Going back to your idea, maybe it is the plotter:

I just did a test - drew a line 10' long and printed from a regular printer, using 1:1 measurements on MS, zooming the viewport 1/8xp on PS and printed using a 1/8"-1'-0". It measures correct. I think its the plotter!!!!!

If you're viewport is scaled to the standard scale of 1/8" = 1'-0", then your plot scale should be 1:1.

If they are both 1/8" = 1'-0" the viewport would be scaled down by 96 and it would be tiny, but not out by just half foot.

Only other thing I can think of is printable area. Your pc3 files, plotter driver and actual printer can all have printable area settings. Sometimes they don't always play well together.

So this is your first project with the new company? Is anyone else in the office having the issue?

prop.jpg

plot.JPG

When plotting from a layout there should be no need to use the "Window" option under "What to plot". The correct choice for plotting the entire drawing is "Layout."

I have only done 11x17 (not to scale) plots for our files. No full size drawings. I know that if I print directly from autocad to the plotter it is different scale than if I print from the pdf.

I am using HP DesignJet 550

From inside AutoCAD start the plotter manager (File, Plotter Manager) or at the command line STYLESMANAGER, double click on the .pc3 for the 550 plotter, Device and Document Settings tab, find Plotter Calibration in the list, click on that, click on the Calibrate Plotter button below that, go through the calibration sequence until the calibration plot measures correctly, save, you will be good to go.

The moment of truth....tchan tchan...YES it printed correctly, thanks Qball! ( I had to replace the paper roll, that's why it took me a bit longer LOL)

I was probably doing the viewport scale wrong.

Thanks RKent, will save your instructions too if I need it in the future.

Much appreciated.

I was probably doing the viewport scale wrong.

Another Operated Induced Error. Gads!

Well we're glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Thanks for the update.