coordinates of a rectangle?

fatabass

This is all done by Fields from the Insert menu.

But lisp is good too.

thank you

can you give a little bit detail about the process?

i found the menu but what option do i choose ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fatabass

• ReMark

• eldon

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am afraid that I can't be of much help here. Fields are not part of my normal version of AutoCAD, but I have access to a later version. It was pure happenchance that I managed to produce that. The fields produced the figures, and then I edited it to add on the text.

I can only point you in the right direction :D

Double-click on your text then right-click and on the shortcut menu you'll see the option Insert Field.

First. You might want to check you Help files. Topic: Insert Fields (Concept).

Second. I don't know if this is going to help you with your present problem but it is worth looking at for future consideration/use.

Edited by ReMark

fatabass: Are you good to go? Did you find, download and use any of the lisp programs I provided links to re: centroid and area?

When the rectangles were inserted into the drawing how was that done? What was the point of insertion?

fatabass: Are you good to go? Did you find, download and use any of the lisp programs I provided links to re: centroid and area?

When the rectangles were inserted into the drawing how was that done? What was the point of insertion?

Remark; thank you for your interest,

I wasnt able to find any lisp programs for this situation.

Also, I was unable to find out how to do it with fields.

I am back to doing everything manually.

It seems a shame not to use tools that are there.

How far did you get with not using fields?

Did you find them in the Insert menu?

Did you find them in Mtext when you hit the right mouse button?

If you can say how far you got, then perhaps the next step would not be so difficult. :)

It seems a shame not to use tools that are there.

How far did you get with not using fields?

Did you find them in the Insert menu?

Did you find them in Mtext when you hit the right mouse button?

If you can say how far you got, then perhaps the next step would not be so difficult. :)

Hi,

Well I found them in the menu.

I click on Insert, choose Fields, and then I go to System Variable and choose area then the cursor turns to a text cursor, no matter where I click I get 0.0000.

How do I get an area of the rectangle after this point ?

You do not want a system variable. You are after the properties of an Object.

So at the top line of the dialogue box, in the Field Category, you need to choose Objects.

Next in the heading Field names, you need to choose Object. Then you need to choose Object type, and you click on your rectangle. Then you can choose Area.

FieldCategory.jpg

You do not want a system variable. You are after the properties of an Object.

So at the top line of the dialogue box, in the Field Category, you need to choose Objects.

Next in the heading Field names, you need to choose Object. Then you need to choose Object type, and you click on your rectangle. Then you can choose Area.

Thank you very much this works.

Then for the centre of the rectangle, you have to be a bit more devious.

When you look at the properties available for a Point, a coordinate is not on the list (in my version anyway). For a Line there is the Start point and End point field. So here is where the cunning starts. You draw a line from your centre point to anywhere. When you choose the line as the Object. the field for the Start point will give you an x.y,z value. But again if you want the coordinates on separate lines, you set up two fields, one for x value and one for y value.

I've really not done a lot with fields, but I am sure you can explore. :D

Then for the centre of the rectangle, you have to be a bit more devious.

When you look at the properties available for a Point, a coordinate is not on the list (in my version anyway). For a Line there is the Start point and End point field. So here is where the cunning starts. You draw a line from your centre point to anywhere. When you choose the line as the Object. the field for the Start point will give you an x.y,z value. But again if you want the coordinates on separate lines, you set up two fields, one for x value and one for y value.

I've really not done a lot with fields, but I am sure you can explore. :D

Thank you very much.