Extrude getting wacky

bbankston

The 90 deg. turn from the 10 deg. angle wants to be exactly perpendicular. Meaning, once it's made the 90 deg. turn it's angled at 10 deg. (see thread 11 last picture).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbankston

• ReMark

• troggarf

• boofredlay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's a compound miter and I could do the clean up myself I'm just unsure as to what plane I'm turning the "saw" for the 5 deg. angle after the 45 deg. angle.

I feel like I'm being way too confusing.

I know it's a compound miter and I could do the clean up myself I'm just unsure as to what plane I'm turning the "saw" for the 5 deg. angle after the 45 deg. angle.

I feel like I'm being way too confusing.

Five degree angle? What five degree angle? I got two angles at 10 degrees. Are we working the same job dude?

Judging by your avatar why does that come as a surprise to you? Man, I have such a good follow-up line but if I typed it there would be such turmoil. Must...be...good...machine. Do...no...harm.

I see where the problem lies at the corners where a level leg meets one that is at an angle. I even ran into it when I extruded the profile for each leg of the run, went back to those corners and used the Slice with Surface option. As soon as I zoomed in on the corners I could see the misalignment. This make take a few more minutes of study before the answer dawns on me or my lights go out thinking about it. It must be something obvious we have overlooked. It usually is. Duh!

Five degree angle? What five degree angle? I got two angles at 10 degrees. Are we working the same job dude?

You split the difference from the 10 deg. don't you? Just like you'd split the difference for the 90 deg. angle.

No the press/pull tool wouldn't work. I was just wondering what method was being used. I think that I am now confused even after reading through the thread a couple of times.

Did he get it to work?

I'm pretty sure he used the EXTRUDE command. Maybe he should have tried SWEEP too although I've seen some unusual results with that command too.

I drew the path using the original lengths and angles (both horizontal and vertical) and attempted to extrude the base shoe profile and got the same results. I think he then changed one of the vertical angles but I'm not sure which one. He mentions something about a 5 deg angle. I used 10 deg angles.

This problem could most likely be solved with Inventor easier than trying to do it with AutoCAD in my opinion.

troggarf & ReMark,

I'm using Google SketchUp. I have to seeing as how I only have AutoCAD LT at work. And I am using the "Follow Me" tool. And I also never got it to work. :(

The problem is at the second angled line. There needs to be "landings" both before and after the angled line. I don't know why, but I cannot load images on this website (cadtutor) to help so I will try to describe it.

The landing needs to be a little wider than the width of the object that you are extruding using the Follow Me tool.

If this isn't clear, email me and I will post my pictures in the email

troggarf@yahoo.com

I have tried many times to post pics on this website and have read the help section. It says that there is an option to select a file to load the picture in a post but all that I see is a little box that asks for the website for the photo. Any help with this?

I have tried many times to post pics on this website and have read the help section. It says that there is an option to select a file to load the picture in a post but all that I see is a little box that asks for the website for the photo. Any help with this?

Click on the Paperclip icon. You have to Upload the file (only certain types allow; file sizes are limited) then once it is uploaded it must be inserted.

troggarf: OK. Let's dampen the enthusiasm a bit. I still have a New Year's Eve hangover.:ouch:

You're welcomed. Now go outside and play with your little brother while I get some sleep.:lol:

Fellas,

My colleague and I are in agreement with you both that it cannot be a compound miter to make this happen. You have to have "landings".

Also, after I thought I had understood my customers crude drawings I found out that I didn't. The base shoe is for holding glass for a handrail system. I thought the customer was making a ramp that turned. It turns out that he was drawing (rather poorly) a plan view for a stairwell. :?

A Question:

What is a compound miter saw for if you have to level things out in order for them to merry correctly?

Mr. Bankston, I apologize for getting to this thread so late but I have a solution for you if you wish to utilize it. Sickness, dead computers and whatever else I can find to complain about have kept me away from the forums.

Over at the Ruby Depot there is a free script called Follow Me and Keep.

Install instructions and the like there as well.

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/plugin_details.php?id=560

It is a no brainer if you are trying to follow a path that is not co-planar.

Attached is an image showing Follow Me vs Follow Me and Keep. In this example I un-smoothed the miters to show it more clearly.

Also, attached is the skp file just delete the dwg extension then open with SketchUp V6 or later.

FollowMeAndKeep.jpg

FollowMeAndKeep.skp.dwg