Help on generating 3D Sink drawings?

tenghuii

The sink does have a seam, one on each corner, the flat pattern is really pretty basic. The problem deals with the 3/4" fillet/bend on the bottom of the sink intersecting with the 3/4"fillet/bend on each corner of the sink.[/img]

Sounds fixable. :D

Nick

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr T

• Lazer

• Mr_Adams78

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

We work with sheet metal parts exclusively at my current job. We are attempting to inject Inventor into our manufacturing process.

-As far as creating the allowances for the flat patterns to be accurate, you have to get all of the options in the sheet metal styles set up correctly, including bend tables that match your tooling. The biggest difference between the ACAD flats and the Inventor flats, is that generally people do the ACAD flats with nominal measurements making the dimensions in the flat patterns nice whole numbers, Inventor works with actual measurements so the dimensions on the flat patterns are not nice whole numbers. You can chase this between the model and the flat pattern, either the model has odd dimensions with the flats showing whole, or vice versa the model with good whole dimesnions and the flats with the odd sizes.

A major problem we are having right now is the sink problem. In my attempts I have found about 3 different ways to model a S/S sink, but nothing I can generate an accurate flat pattern off of. Inventor has a real problem placing a "fold" over another fold at 90 degrees, i.e. at the bottom filleted corner.

Inventor constantly gives me messages about the unmanufacturablilty of the part I am trying to create, but I have sat with the guy at the break who is taking the ACAD flat pattern cutout, and folding it right up into a perfect sink. :x

In short, how do you create an accurate sheet metal sink flat pattern.

Open to any and all suggestions.. :?

i have a chart that i've actually tested myself, through all the Stainless Steel/Aluminum/etc that i've actually went in the shop and bent myself and measured. it's in the .100 thousanths range, so it's gotta be right on. plus our presses and shit are old school, but they work REALLY well, thing is, is that im in the same boat you are. i have to manually type in all my allowances and deduct/add where needed for a flat pattern, because Inventor will not get it right on. and it sux when i gotta get an earful from the guy out in my shop when something's even a 1/16th off haha.

I followed your link Deelay, and followed the directions. I received a message that there wasn't enough available space for me to upload the picture. :(

Is this something I did wrong? Or is the space available at the web site filling up right when I am figuring out how to post an image?? :huh:

Aye it's full. I'll see if I can delete some. I have chcked but can't delete anything. I'll PM Cadtutor. There is a lot of BMP files which are large.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

So I have hopefully posted a picture which will help explain the problem I am having.

-I can't get Inventor to model a sink with radiused corners as a sheet metal part which will generate a flat pattern.

I am open to all suggestions/solutions.

Thanks to everybody who has already responded and to those who have had the patience to follow me through all of this.

Adams

All-right, All-right, so I can't get this image to post. The first one I did was to big, I thought, so I dumbed the file down and tried it again. I can't seem to get it right and I don't know what the problem is. I uploaded the image to the file manager, and can view the images there. I use the bbcode [/img] notation and get the box with an X in it, but no image. :?

:?:

Adams

URL i mean lol got me there just checking who is awake tonight, as im not, its 1.30am in england and you have just made a good point, im asleep, im off to bed. :lol:

p.s for those who dont get the joke. I types ulr instead of url on the post above StykFacE lastpost, I have edited now so its right. :oops:

radiused%20sink.jpg

OK so I think I have the real deal here. This is a pretty low quality rendering, but you can see where the corners come together, this is a 3/4"radius on the side and bottom. I can get Inventor to show these corners in the model correctly, but I can't get a model which will generate a good flat pattern.

do u have 2 parts there is the bottom plate seperate to the sides??

meaning are you sitting the side of the sink ontop of the plate with the hole??

I am asking because what I see cannot be flattened in inventor

To make sink unsing sheetmetal you would model the same as you flattern an open top box, in flat it would be a cross shape then fold up in 4 places and weld the 4 edges this is how to do it in inventor the easy way.

Remember in sheetmetal feature you have to build everything in at feature, also everything to be flatterned must be as 1 part, you cannot open an assembly put 2 parts together then open it in sheet metal and flattern it.

Am I on the right lines to what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

do u have 2 parts there is the bottom plate seperate to the sides??

meaning are you sitting the side of the sink ontop of the plate with the hole??

If we make the sink as two seperate parts then there is too much welding involved.

I'm not sure about making the sink exactly like a box. I have never seen a sink without some kind of radius at the bottom and the corners.

We can draw the flat in ACAD, cut it with the lazer, and break it to make a perfect filleted sink. It's too bad we can't make this product with Inventor, this really gives the program a black eye in my company.

Thanks so much for your help.

Adam

• 6 years later...
Yep, that's one nice looking sink.

And only 6 years after this thread began. :thumbsup:

I have to wonder though. Was this done in Inventor? too bad there's no information provided with the image. I guess we're just left on our own with this one. :(

I do have one critique though. I see faceting in the sink bowl. That should be smooth. In Studio Max I would put a Smooth modifier, or a Turbosmooth, on the bowl. I don't know how it works in Inventor though.

I don't know how it works in Inventor though.

Looks like garbage to me.

Attach the assembly here.