educational stamp!!!

Dennis

I agree, but only when the coding recognizes that the DWG was opened with a paid for and legitimate installation of Autocad, why should legitimate users get grief/costs due to a block that was created while a person was a student if it is useful....

Because that block was created with free software intended for educational purposes. Using that work product for commercial purposes violates ethical business practices, not to mention the license agreement(s) for both versions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• nestly

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Nestly above. If you can't afford AutoCAD (and some can't and that's cool) there are cheap and free alternatives that offer DWG editing ability. While I do understand the occasional hang up of dealing with a block and drawing that is infected with a educational item I do not condone circumventing the security measure for lazy users or cheats. Now having said this it happens and sometimes it's just easier to deal with it and go one. There is the save-as a r12 DXF which will remove the item but this is honestly not a game changer as with this you also lose all the newer features of the drawing and is really only useful for the "occasional block" that can be cleaned up.

I can see both sides of the argument, but lets look at it realistically. If you created a "block" in school and now you've got a job where that block is would come in handy, how hard could it possibly be to redraw it? If you created it as a student, now that you've graduated, you should be even faster and might even improve it along the way. Even if you have to open it (or print it even) and look at it while you draw the replacement, it surely can't take more than a matter of minutes to recreate. I really can't see these things being very complicated. What are the chances that you just happen to have a whole set of drawings for the new city center that are just exactly what an architect is looking for...that you created in school? Come on.

Some will raise the issue of "intellectual property". What you create is yours, right? Well, maybe. If you take this "block" to work at your new job, and don't sell the block to them under a contract, and then put it in one of the company's drawings it becomes the property of the company you work for. They paid you to create it, is how they'll look at it. It was just a normal part of doing your job. The stuff you create while on the company's payroll belongs to them, not you.

So my advice, if this argument is really over using a few blocks created in school is to draw it again. Going through all the effort to get rid of that watermark will take more time than recreating the stuff in the first place and there's no question of it's legality, morality, or any other -ity you want to question.

If you are looking for a way to use educational software for business purposes, I'm sure you'll find it. Criminals are remarkably successful, and the ways to do it are plastered all over the web, as are sources for the software.

I just took a look at Autodesk's website. Did a search there for "remove educational watermark" and got 259 hits in thier discussion forum. Searching this forum finds 23 threads. It's been hashed out quite well I should think.

I agree with Nestly above. If you can't afford AutoCAD (and some can't and that's cool) there are cheap and free alternatives that offer DWG editing ability. While I do understand the occasional hang up of dealing with a block and drawing that is infected with a educational item I do not condone circumventing the security measure for lazy users or cheats. Now having said this it happens and sometimes it's just easier to deal with it and go one. There is the save-as a r12 DXF which will remove the item but this is honestly not a game changer as with this you also lose all the newer features of the drawing and is really only useful for the "occasional block" that can be cleaned up.

I agree. It's naive to suggest that saving to R12 DXF is a viable, sustainable business model that's a threat to legitimate business and paid-up users. Real software pirates are the problem, not students feeling their way into their first jobs. Secondly, saving back is a legitimate AutoCAD function, are there any other standard commands that anyone would like to suggest as being unethical?

I agree. It's naive to suggest that saving to R12 DXF is a viable, sustainable business model that's a threat to legitimate business and paid-up users. Real software pirates are the problem, not students feeling their way into their first jobs. Secondly, saving back is a legitimate AutoCAD function, are there any other standard commands that anyone would like to suggest as being unethical?

If you're suggesting that it's "ethical" to circumvent the Edu watermark simply because it can be done with features included in the software, I believe you'd be in the minority, but feel free to email legal@autodesk.com and ask them their opinion.

Edited by nestly

If you created a "block" in school and now you've got a job where that block is would come in handy' date=' how hard could it possibly be to redraw it? If you created it as a student, now that you've graduated, you should be even faster and might even improve it along the way.[/quote']

Before the dynamic blocks, I created collections of blocks. I had about 600 screws, aslo nuts and all kind of washers, all of them in 3D, side front and top view -just ready to be inserted. All blocks had 3 hidden attributes used by a lisp to generate the BOM. If such a collection should be recreated so probable the drafter would consider cheating a little bit.

I newer used educational software and I agree that educational programs may not be use for profit. I just try to see the other aspects of the problem

....due to a block that was created while a person was a student if it is useful, many quality students will eventually run their own companies and buy many "licences" why can't they use drawings they produced in their early years if needed.

Uhmm, perhaps because of the student EULA they agreed to in return for free learning software. No excuses.

Just out of curiosity Dennis, if you're still here, where are you located? Judging from the spelling and grammar in your post I'm guessing that English is not your native language? :unsure:

Sorry guys! for the late reply, English isn't my native language! I'm from Belgium. But I am trying my best here.

I solved the issue with dxfout/dxfin and save it in a full version. the company also provided me with a version that isn't an educational one. so I can proceed my work.

thanks anyway!

dennis

• 3 weeks later...

tried both of them not working

some times dxfout method working but when u have multiple blocks that copied from student vision you have to explode the blocks to get full results until unless the Dxfout command is not functioning in full