Lost unsaved work problem

alan_mardan

Nestly,

The problem is that i had done some drawings for two days now and i saved them sometimes as much as i remembered. instead of turning of my laptop during the nights, i just closed down the screen. Today when i wanted to carry on my drawings, my lines changed to very thick lines (due to that i was trying to save my work as pdf to prit them at uni). As i wasn't sure what to do in order to get my line to normal layer thickness, i thought it would be fine to restart Autocad. Now when i restarted it it just showed me some of the drawings, which might had been saved before.

I don't remember whether i was asked to save or not. But now it happened and i don't know what to do in such a stressful situation.

Regards

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• alan_mardan

• designerstuart

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the AutoCAD program.

Did you save or not? (at any time)

You should have some dwg files in a location where you know they are.

This sounds like a basic file management (computer science 101) problem, not an AutoCAD problem.

Do you know where you saved your work?

If not, do you know how to search your drives for dwg and bak files?

Attach the dwg and bak files with relevant names here.

Where is your teacher?

Once you have attached the files here someone can address the AutoCAD problems (line thickness or recovery).

Sorry, guys, I'm with ReMark on this one. If a file is important, you make a backup. If it's very important, you make two backups.

Note: the SV$ files will not be in the folder with the original drawings. Check the "automatic save file location" under the Files tab in Options.

If you do not know where your DWG files are being saved there is an easy answer to the problem right at your AutoCAD command line. Let's say you have a drawing named Myhouse.dwg. Type the following at the command line then press Enter.

(findfile"myhouse.dwg")

AutoCAD will return the path to the drawing file's location. It might look something like this. "C:\\MyDocuments\Myhouse.dwg

Can you post your drawing here (even if the lines appear "thick")

Attach your drawing using the "Go Advanced" reply button at the lower right under the quick reply window. You'll see a "manage attachment's section in the Advanced reply window.

Hi every one,

.... today i faced a problem with my layers as they appeared very thick suddenly. ...

Thanks

Alan

There is a button or icon at the bottom of your autocad screen called LWT, you probably hit that at some point and this toggles the WYSIWYG mode. This is a toggle, so just click once to turn off or back on.

Sorry about the condescending posts you have received. Some posters forget that this is a beginners forum and they aren't required to answer every post. It is supposed to be a friendly forum that differentiates itself from the usual rancor you find on the web, but some folks get to thinking it is their forum and someone is wasting their time.

There are a few things autocad users do that is the equivalent of waving red meat in front of a lion. One is not saving often, another is not drawing to full size, and anyone asking how to remove the EDU stamp from their drawing.

I'm glad you brought your soapbox.

The OP is a uni student. Maybe they don't teach how to save a file until the second semester. My apologies for offending the befuddled masses.

ouch - you didn't save for 2 days?

i think this is a new record!

autocad should have made some .BAK files. do you see them?

(change extension to.dwg to use it)

as said by stuart but this will only go back to the last save. if you had autosave on this will be the autosave dwg file.

drawing_name.bak make drawing_name.dwg