Looking for a Room Dimension tag routine

Grigs

Someone came to me and asked if it was possible to draw a rectangle and have the x and y dimensions placed in the center along with a attribute. For example, you draw a 8'x10' rectangle and in the middle of it would be placed an editable attribute and right below it the X and Y dimensions of the rectangle. Is this doable?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grigs

• SLW210

• qball

• Spinxy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I figured it might have to do with fields. Just not sure which. There are alot :) I was able to get the perimeter but not the width and height

I believe you want to use object. It will be easier if you use individual lines to make up the rectangle and use object and length. A dynamic block would be good to make a stretchable rectangle if needed and also keep everything in a neat package. If you use a continuous polyline for the rectangle it will give you the perimeter and you will need to do a little math to get the value for the sides.

Thanks. I tried it with just lines and it gets the correct values now. Just trying to package it into a nice, neat dynamic block.

Do you need a dynamic block ? maybe a normal one of size 1x1 then scale x & Y is room size with attributes as fields = scale

Do you need a dynamic block ? maybe a normal one of size 1x1 then scale x & Y is room size with attributes as fields = scale

Good one BIGAL! I like that idea.

Ok, I got that. I had to make the square a block first before the Scale X, Y and Z showed up. What I did was create a 1x1 square and made it a block, I then used the mText command to add the X and Y Scale fields. This works. But, if I try to make those into a block and scale it, the fields don't change. I have to explode it first then it will update when scaled.

Tried both. If I make the square and text/attribute into a block, the fields do not update. I have to explode the block in order for the fields to change. Also, if I insert the block with a different X and Y scale and then goto explode it, the text reverts to single line text. But if I insert it with a uniform scale and explode it, it stays as mText.

I think the simplest route is to make the dynamic block from individual lines or plines and use the length field.

scaling the 1x1 block seems complicated because you have to use the properties box and already know the x and y to scale. Because scale by reference scales uniformly, no?

This might work (for rectangular rooms only)

edit: no dynamic blocks in 2007 is there?

roomtag.dwg

scaling the 1x1 block seems complicated because you have to use the properties box and already know the x and y to scale. Because scale by reference scales uniformly, no?

This might work (for rectangular rooms only)

edit: no dynamic blocks in 2007 is there?

FYI....I believe 2006 was first with dynamic blocks. :thumbsup:

Hi qball,

Can i ask how you made that roomtag file. i am trying to get my dynamic blocks to appear like this but can't (in an indivial file with dynamic properies).

the closest i get is to make a dynamic block in a drawing, re-inserting it, then wblock to get it to it's own file. these however need exploding when inserting drawings.

Thanks

open a new blank file, open Block Editor, make the block and save the file.

If you're doing it within a drawing, the way you mentioned with Wblock is the only way I know.